Author Topic: An exercise in futility?  (Read 1668 times)

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
An exercise in futility?
« on: November 19, 2005, 01:14:55 am »
Maybe this has already been tried, but...

Has anyone considered the possibility that Square could have left (either accidentally or on purpose) "secret" entrances on the overworld map?  Remember that the entrances aren't always obvious--i.e. Vortex Pt.  It would be time-consuming to check, and probably a complete waste of time, but...it's always possible that some out-of-the-way tree, or some position behind a mountain, or some other weird place on one of the maps, COULD contain a link to a secret location.

For that matter, such links would be possible as well from within the dungeons/buildings/areas we all know of.

As I said, probably a waste of time--especially considering how much ROM checking has been done--but I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever actually scoured the maps for such a thing.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
An exercise in futility?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:39:14 am »
Just looking on TF fo these exits could help.

Too lazy to check however. :roll:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
An exercise in futility?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:47:55 am »
Yeah, TF displays all the exits as Red Boxes, making it easy to discern any secrets. None remain, unfortunately.

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
An exercise in futility?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:04:49 pm »
It's a possibility with the Pre, although probably more for regular maps than overworld and due to map errors. For example, the entrance to Mt Woe from the chain is above and to the left a bit, and the Woe exit is off the land, to the bottom right. The sure fire way to check would be to dump all the event data from the pre and figure it out by hand, but that would be a bit... time consuming.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
An exercise in futility?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:50:52 pm »
Retail ver. has 2 unused exits on the overworld.  One is a misplaced Medina Inn exit a few tiles away from the correct entrance.  The other is the extra cave on the Zeal floating continent from the Pre.  Both exits are not fully working because the tiles they are on don't have bit 4 (exit) set.  They can be accessed with PAR codes, however.

Also of interest is the Zeal Sun Palace and the spot Singing Mtn. is believed to be both have tiles with the exit bit set, but no exit data.

Location map exits, the Schala's room bookcase entrance is the only one I can remember at the moment.

Pre-release: Nothing interesting on the overworld, IIRC.  Locations maps, there's the Forest Ruins dungeon entrance and the bookcase again.