Author Topic: The Bend of Time  (Read 5732 times)

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 02:50:15 am »
Quote from: Zaperking

We can also defeat characters like Masa and Mune who have the power to go back in time.

huh it ever says masa and mune can go back in time in CC they simply use the incomplete time egg

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 09:10:03 am »
If you don't have it, then they use the Chrono Cross I think. Well still, How the hell did Masa and Mune get to 600AD? Maybe by sleeping in the MasaMune? But that can almost make them immortal. They can never die... If they can exist from 10,000BC to 600AD by simply sleeping..

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 10:44:14 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
If you don't have it, then they use the Chrono Cross I think. Well still, How the hell did Masa and Mune get to 600AD? Maybe by sleeping in the MasaMune? But that can almost make them immortal. They can never die... If they can exist from 10,000BC to 600AD by simply sleeping..

the chrono cross was used in conjunction with schala's amulet wich kid has (most likely since i doubt the abllity of the chrono cross to create gates on its own) and if serge has the masamune at that point masa and mune use the incomplete time egg to create a unstable gate keeping serge in the past long enough to save kid

as for masa and mune sleeping they did imbune themselves into the sword so really they would be immortel until the masamune is destroyed (in ct it was mearly broken in half not destroyed) and they do sleep in the sword cause when you get the masamune in CC based on their diolouge its as if they were sleeping while the sword was corrupted.
because they imbuned themselves in the sword they can never die because they are the sword

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 05:23:04 pm »
Just noting that Chronopolis created the island that provides access to the Bend of Time. How much influence can we assume Chronopolis had in its existence?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 03:59:30 pm »
Also noting that the timekeeper there does seem to speak like he's older than others, and just in that...Gaspar fashion, sort of. He'd also know the god of war.

Hello, young lady.
   Looks to me like the god of
   combat has taken a liking to you...

Janice:
   Who, me!?

Here, take this.
   You should be able to use
   it wisely, young lady.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2005, 08:05:55 pm »
Starx on GameFAQs seems to think that the Bend of Time is actually the End of Time, and the Cactus is Speiko.  I'm not sure how much faith I would put in that, though.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Bend of Time
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 10:09:59 pm »
In the GameFAQs English Changes Guide, by Elranzer, it's said that the true name of the Bend of Time is the Ultima Thule of Time.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 06:32:59 pm »
Yes, but what does 'Ultima Thule of Time' mean?

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 11:13:15 pm »
The word Thule (it is generally capitalized) has several meanings, but all relate to the concept of a place (often insular) in the far north.  Ultima Thule is an ancient Roman phrase refering to any place beyond the edge of the (esp. northern) world.  The phrase is usually used figuratively.  So, if the translation in question is to be believed, then Bend of Time is more properly End of Time.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 04:54:41 am »
Quote from: Sir Frog
The word Thule (it is generally capitalized) has several meanings, but all relate to the concept of a place (often insular) in the far north.  Ultima Thule is an ancient Roman phrase refering to any place beyond the edge of the (esp. northern) world.  The phrase is usually used figuratively.  So, if the translation in question is to be believed, then Bend of Time is more properly End of Time.

Yes, Ultima Thulé was supposed to be the northernmost island of the world according to the Ancients. Nowadays I believe the name (Thulé) was given to a place in Greenland.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 05:41:10 am »
Ah, yes! I forgot that there was a Thule in Greenland.  Now that you mention it, I believe there's an air base there.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 08:53:16 pm »
Honestly, I think the Bend of Time actually has no relevant place in the story of CC.  I believe it was more of a tribute to the EoT than anything... something like a Collusiem of sorts.  You can't even access it until New Game+, which suggests (to me) that's it not actually "part of the game".

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
The Bend of Time
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 09:44:31 pm »
Actually, you don't have to wait until New Game+.  You can access the Bend of Time as soon as you are 1.) Lynx and 2.) have a boat.

Anyway, the Ultima Thule reference is awesome.  I was about to say that I wished they included it in the English translation, but I can see why they didn't.  Awfully obscure.  Besides, "Bend of Time" is a nice allusion to Trigger.

OdF

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Bend of Time
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 03:18:55 am »
I wonder if Chrono Trigger's End of Time was supposed to be "Ultima Thule" as well...

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 11:20:43 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
I wonder if Chrono Trigger's End of Time was supposed to be "Ultima Thule" as well...

stop wondering and find out  :roll: , that person said in the japenese version it should of been translated to ultima thule did he not? (he mite not of done but thats the impression i got)
so go wiz out ure japenese version of CT and find out what they call the EoT, or have u already done that and it remains EoT, who knows? someone probably does so speak up.