Poll

Do You Believe in "God"?

Yes. I Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
21 (58.3%)
No. I Don't Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
7 (19.4%)
Maybe?
5 (13.9%)
No. Man is "God".
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 08:44:48 pm

Author Topic: Do You Believe in "God"?  (Read 37336 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2005, 02:10:25 am »
I commend your pricinpled stand, Mystik. From your seat, your post may have seemed inflammatory, but I think you acquited your point of view with exemplary temperance. I myself could have done little better. I count a couple of Mormons among my lesser circles of friends, and they have relayed to me the discrimination they undergo by other Christian sects. Likewise, I have more mainstream Christians also within my outer spheres of friendship, and they have put forward the other point of view, which they could espouse much more eloquently than I. Needless to say, it is a dispute of much interest to me because, as I have no personal investment in either side, I can consider the debate even more impartially than usual. In that spirit, I offer these plaudits for your even-handed reply.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2005, 03:54:23 am »
Can someone please tell me, or give me a website, showing the difference between the Christian sects? And why do Chrisitan people gang up on Mormonism and LDS specifically?

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2005, 04:04:33 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
Can someone please tell me, or give me a website, showing the difference between the Christian sects? And why do Chrisitan people gang up on Mormonism and LDS specifically?

Mormon doctrine does indeed change several ideas of standard Christian belief. It takes the Law of Christ and actually analyzes it to a degree other Christianity doesn't even seem to realize exists. They also received 'revelations' that added additional doctrine, mostly about the 'Plan of Salvation'. This plan describes where we came from, why we're here, what we need to do while here, and where we're going (based on how we live and what we do and all that). Mormons say that we do not live simply to become servants of God. According to the Plan of Salvation, we came down here to gain a body, like what God has, and go through our 'Trial of Faith' to prove we are worthy to receive Celestial Glory like He has, essentially becoming like God himself, which includes marriage to a member of the opposite gender. This is one infamous doctrine, along with the Trinity actually being a Trinity. Those are the reasons I hear by far the most from most Mormon antagonists.

...if you need clarity, let me know. I'm unaware of any ubiased site out there that really compares all religions with all their beliefs and doctrines without some sort of either misconception, alteration, or incomplete...ness. However, if you want a couple good sites to learn about Mormon doctrine, http://www.mormon.org and http://www.lds.org are accurate places, though mormon.org is probably what you're looking for as it's a bit more of a Q&A and FAQ-type site, while lds.org is the official website for the church; it's more for current members as reference, news and other such information.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2005, 04:20:55 am »
Please clarify.
When was Mormonism founded?
By Mormon Antagonists you mean...
The whole "new books" and its laws and stuff is already here. In Islam. Islam states where we came from (literally, it talks about sperm, eggs, and the development in the womb) It also says exactly what to do.
What Islam would have a problem with Mormonism is that you also believe in Trinity, which we despise, due to the fact that associating God with partners is blasphemy. But thats all Christianities for you. Also, what most Abrahamic Religions are agro about is that your religion states is that you can become God like. Why would God do this? Why would he make it so his creation can soon be like him. Its like the whole "slave becomes master" thing. And so marriage is necessary in your religion. I think it is in our religion as well. What happens if you gay marriage?
EDIT: This post was my 666th post. What a coincidence ^_^

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2005, 04:31:27 am »
Mormonism held it's first official meeting on April 6th, 1830 (I think...o_O).

Actually taking the term "trinity" literally is not a common Christian thing to do. Most Christianity seems to believe in the Trinity actually being one God calling himself different names...it doesn't make any sense, and all they ever answer that with is "yeah, it's confusing, but don't worry, it's true." -_-

The church's response to you asking why God would have us go through all this to gain eternal life as perfect celestial beings would be: "We have been given revelation from God that this is the absolute truth." My personal response would be "Why not?" =p

And in LDS doctrine, homosexuality is a sin against God, though really gays are still treated with respect and as human beings. Since it's a sin, they aren't allowed to participate in certain covenants and activites and stuff if they delve into being homosexual. Actually an LDS interpretation of the major sin of Soddom and Gomorha (I slaughtered that spelling...) was indeed homosexuality, which makes sense if you read the King James version of the bible and hold certain words to mean certain things throughout the bible... :roll: But yeah, if you commit to being gay, you're not considered an active member of the church. It's a major accusational problem the church is dealing with, as you can imagine.

...god, I should probably stop talking about Mormon stuff, I sound like I'm a member again o_O

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2005, 06:22:25 am »
Youre answer to my question about celestial beings was stupid. It was a serious question. God is unique, so why would he want more. And the sodom and gomrah (w/e) were gays, so yeah

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2005, 10:47:34 am »
Youre answer to my question about celestial beings was stupid. It was a serious question. God is unique, so why would he want more.

Whaaaat, it was a serious answer. Besides, no one really knows the nature of God, if he truly exists that is, so who are we to decide what his goal and nature are? There's no more reason for God to have spirit children and, like a father, want the best for them, than to believe God is unique and there's no possible way to become like him, which doesn't explain exactly how he became God =p

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
"What you say?! No rubbish or Ayla, head go boom!"
Thats exactly what I wanted to say...
I don't think God "became" god, nor was he "born" at all.
"He" can also be the god of comsos, or just the god of earth, or god of everything, no one can know it, at least not as far as we can think.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2005, 06:17:43 pm »
Nice Mystik, not only did you surrender, but you devoted an entire paragraph to saying Southerns are stupid.  Good job there.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2005, 10:46:40 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Youre answer to my question about celestial beings was stupid. It was a serious question. God is unique, so why would he want more.

Whaaaat, it was a serious answer. Besides, no one really knows the nature of God, if he truly exists that is, so who are we to decide what his goal and nature are? There's no more reason for God to have spirit children and, like a father, want the best for them, than to believe God is unique and there's no possible way to become like him, which doesn't explain exactly how he became God =p

We know what his goals are from 3 Major Books. The Torah, The Gospel, and The Quran, all of which say, worshipping. God is not human. Why would God want children. As is seen from the Meaning of Life Thread, we have children to continue the race. God can't die, all the prophets said so, and therefore, why the children. Why couldnt Jesus just be an important creation of his? Plus, the creation of god is an unanswerable question. God is god. God came before Universe even had a property.
PWND

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2005, 11:59:02 pm »

We know what his goals are from 3 Major Books. The Torah, The Gospel, and The Quran, all of which say, worshipping. God is not human. Why would God want children. As is seen from the Meaning of Life Thread, we have children to continue the race. God can't die, all the prophets said so, and therefore, why the children. Why couldnt Jesus just be an important creation of his? Plus, the creation of god is an unanswerable question. God is god. God came before Universe even had a property.
PWND

Take a look at one of those books. Humans are the children of God, ot so the belief goes.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2005, 02:51:18 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
Nice Mystik, not only did you surrender, but you devoted an entire paragraph to saying Southerns are stupid.  Good job there.

Nice condescension on your part.

Dyne

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://dyne.technoized.com
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2005, 11:59:18 am »
I don't believe in god... but CC made me believe in fate. >_>

I don't respect fate, but I think there's nothing you can do about it. If things'll be changed, then let it be changed. Who cares?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2005, 07:16:43 pm »
Quote from: Dyne
I don't believe in god... but CC made me believe in fate. >_>

I don't respect fate, but I think there's nothing you can do about it. If things'll be changed, then let it be changed. Who cares?

My current understanding of how the universe works makes me believe that there is no fate. That even with perfect knowledge of the state of the universe at one moment, because of the randomness inherit in quantuum processes, one cannot predict with 100% accuracy any arbitrary future state of the universe, therefore, no room for fate.

I'm quite happy with this belief. I don't like the idea of fate.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2005, 02:31:39 am »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

PWND

Take a look at one of those books. Humans are the children of God, ot so the belief goes.

No, as it goes we believe the past books were all corrupted and the whole text basically changed