Author Topic: Cross Phenomena  (Read 16730 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Cross Phenomena
« on: December 22, 2003, 02:32:14 am »
Interesting occurrence, from Gamefaqs:

From: Magus87 | Posted: 12/22/2003 4:51:39 AM | Message Detail
After I got Kid out of the coma and went back to the Viper Manor Lab to get the letter from Luccia. I noticed a shadow on the ground near a candle. But when I left the room and went back in, the shadow was gone!
So what i'm wondering is, was that shadow Magus'?
Please someone answer this topic!!!
---
Eventually, death is the fate that awaits us all...
From: Enclave | Posted: 12/22/2003 5:05:33 AM | Message Detail
Magus is not in Chrono Cross at all.
---
The commercial says Church isn't for perfect people...I guess that is why I am a atheist :p
From: makenshi sama | Posted: 12/22/2003 5:50:00 AM | Message Detail
Damn... playing the game right now. Just got past that part too. Maybe I'll look at one of my older saves?
---
Website » http://www.animerealms.com

From: makenshi sama | Posted: 12/22/2003 6:18:34 AM | Message Detail
Went back... You're right that is wierd. Looks more like a hole in the ground than a shadow though.
---
Website » http://www.animerealms.com

Fxeni

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fxeni/
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 01:58:39 am »
Hmm, I actually remember that from when i was playing. Nothing can be done about it, though. It disappears the moment you leave the room. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but perhaps that was Magus overlooking? There isn't much to back this up, unfortunatly... The letter aludes to him at some point within it, and that's pretty much it. I'm aware that Guile, in the original planning stages of the game, was possibly supposed to be Magus, however this was dropped, so maybe the developpers merely put that shadow to make up for it, to get people thinking that Magus was overwatching the event?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
The Magus' Reputation Precedes Him
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 03:16:39 am »
I don't think Magus would be the type to just hang back and let someone else have the adventure. If he was in El Nido at the time, I am almost certain we would have seen him or at least heard about him directly or as an unnamed fellow meeting his personality description. If he is in Chrono Cross, and keeping himself concealed throughout the game's events, it could only be explained by some adventure that belongs to a future game in the series, and since we cannot presume those sorts of adventures to exist, the logical conclusion is that Magus--who would be involved in something like this if he at all knew about it--is nowhere in the fold.

~ Josh

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 11:07:34 am »
Josh, read my fanfic on this site, "Crimson Tears."  I deal with that entire question of why Magus would be in El Nido and not participate in the adventure.

Anyway, on topic here, I sincerely doubt that would be Magus.  If Magus were intended to be in the scene, they would have made it much more obvious than a shadow in the corner.

Fxeni

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fxeni/
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 12:41:58 pm »
Well, I was simply offering a possibility. The reason that I said that was, well, I couldn't think of anything else  :lol:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 02:14:42 am »
From: Alex Jackson | Posted: 12/26/2003 5:44:20 AM | Message Detail
Let the demo sequence play completely through (the "ingame" demo as well as the FMV) several times, then press start and begin a New Game. Now, in the dream sequence, open the subscreen, select any of the character-related commands (Status, Element->Arrange, or Equipment) and press left to view your complete roster of characters. Instead of just the three characters you have (Serge, Kid and the random third one) a whole bunch of characters will be listed there. It looks like for each time the "ingame" demo plays, more characters get added to the list. One of these "extra" characters will always (?) be Glenn, while the others will be drawn from the set of characters that may appear as your third party member in the dream sequence.

Of course, you can't actually switch party members (because you don't have the Tele-Porter or access to a save point) but you can view the stats, equipment and Elements of the "extra" characters. Most of the characters have the same Elements they'd have if they had been chosen as your third party member (i.e. the funny 3-3-3-3-1 grid, filled up with assorted attack and recovery Elements and the character's Level 3 Tech) but Glenn for some reason has his actual 20-star grid (5-5-3-3-3-1, with both Dash&Gash and SonicSword learned) and his only Elements are a TurnBlack and a pack of Recharges--the rest of his slots are all empty.

As I mentioned, this glitch is totally useless. Triggering it has absolutely no effect on the game after the dream sequence ends. When I first discovered it the other day I was kind of hoping that you could strip the additional characters of Elements and the game would "forget" to remove those Elements from your inventory at the end of the dream sequence, but no such luck. Damnit, I wanted those Recharges...

---
Anata ga jii suru tabi ni, koneko ga korosaremasu.
Douka, konekotachi o kangaete kudasai.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 06:09:09 am »
I dunno if anyone else noticed this about Cross...but what the hey...

On the Pause screen (I THINK only when battling, but I could be wrong) the screen goes through the different Element colors. I never checked to see if they were the colors needed to use the Chrono Cross itself, and I'm not even sure if it cycles through White & Black, but there ya go.

That's my tid-bit!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 05:25:39 pm »
Una is a character from Spenser's Faerie Queene, who attends the Redcross Knight on a quest to save her parents and people from a dragon. Though in Cross she does not accompany Serge, her parents are indeed 'saved' through him, as Miguel is released from his position at the Dead Sea and allowed to die.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 01:45:26 pm »
interesting :) !

would be coool if we could discover the origins of names such as Spekkio, Norstern Bekkler (oups these are not names from CC, but you know what I mean :P )...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 05:08:14 pm »
Check the old Chrono Compendium's encyclopedia entry for Spekkio under Theories for his name origin. Specchio means mirror in Italian.

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 05:29:57 pm »
This is in response to 99.  Im only posting this here simply becuase there was no where else to put it. :?

After 2-3 hours of free time, I can reasonably state that the name Norstein Bekkler is not a corruption or translation of any specific name of any Alchemist, Magician, or Illusionist that has existed and has gained any semblance of recognition (And I'll tell you, researching Alchemists took the longest time.  They arent unionized).  I briefly touched upon some listings of electrochemists and generic scientists; and no luck there.  In that case, each word in his name must have a seperate meaning, or I missed something (Very likely), OR... We just admit it is a made up name.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 08:31:45 am »
Speaking of the "Dream Dungeon Sequence", mentioned above, you can actually carry over your Gold at a 1000G (in Dream) to 100G (reality) ratio. I also note now that they changed from Zenny to Gold. Was the money system in CT actually "Zenny" in the Japanese script? Why would they change it?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 11:38:26 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Speaking of the "Dream Dungeon Sequence", mentioned above, you can actually carry over your Gold at a 1000G (in Dream) to 100G (reality) ratio. I also note now that they changed from Zenny to Gold. Was the money system in CT actually "Zenny" in the Japanese script? Why would they change it?

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
wow, I don't know if you know it, but Zeni is also the name of the money used in Dragon Ball!
It's pretty coool, it'd be another influence of Toriyama on Chrono Trigger's world :D

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 10:11:11 pm »
I think Zenny is also used in some other RPG...one of the Breath of Fire games, maybe?

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Cross Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 11:17:56 pm »
I dont know if this is in some FAQ ,but..

In Arni village ,at the Cafe,theres a barrel. if you talk with it after several times it will answer you and give you a element. The same will happen in Another with a pot.

When you choose not go with Kid to Termina, get Leena and when in Arni go directly to the INN and rest, When you exit the in go meet kid and she will say something about "going with young girls to Inn" and about Serge being nasty :twisted: