Author Topic: Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix  (Read 15356 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:10:11 am »
I heard in a certain post that if you put the swords in a river with leaves, the masamune will push them aside while the Murasame will cut them. This interests me because these swords are in almost all the recent FF's. What is the connection? And what of the other swords, like the "Zantetsuken" of FF8?

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:29:23 am »
There are 7 legendary Japanese swords. They include the Masamune and the Murasame. And Square Enix and other companys usual use these swords in their games. Even Golden Sun and a few other series used it. In legend, the Murasame possessed the evil of some really bad ass dude, whilst the Masamune was holy and a gift from a goddess, i think Oo

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 12:41:46 pm »
The Seven Swords include:

Kusanagi-found by Susanoo when he encountered a grieving family who told him they were being tormented by an Opochi, an 8 headed snake monster. When he killed it, he found Kusanagi in it's throat. It gives it's owner the power to control wind. The second most powerful weapon in the world next to....

Amenonuhoko-Used by Izanagi and Izanami to create the islands of Japan by churning the water. It basically created the world, since in mythology all other landmasses grew from former Japanese islands.

Tonbogiri-created by Masamune's rival Muramasa, and when a fly landed on it's blade it was instantly cut in two. The Sword of Destruction.

Tokugawa-This sword was made by Masamune to defeat Muramasa. It is linked to death and was destined to defeat Muramasa. However, the sword was clouded by Masamune's lose of judgement, saw it's creator in the mirror (who looks just like Muramasa if you flipflop him) and killed him instead.

Masatada-a failed attempt at Masamune and Muramasa made to settle their differences. They tried to make a sword of friendship that could kill any foe, but when it was stolen and used to kill a shogun, they started blaming each other and went back to fighting.

Mumei Wakazashi- A sword that would never need restoration and would always remain beautiful and fresh. However, it's made out of pure gold, so it's completely useless as a sword.

and of course...

Masamune-The sword that started it all. This is the sword that caused the bitter rivalry between Masamune and Muramasa. The Emperor was amazed and delighted after seeing that Masamune's sword was able to magically repel leaves and similar small objects. It had an aura of peace and serenity, and anyone who tried to use it for evil died a horrible death by the very sword they wanted to corrupt.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 12:44:27 pm »
Kinda ironic that the Masamune is the widly known sword while the Murasame is ingnored.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:39:22 pm »
Kinda ironic also that the Masamune is a katana and the Granleon (which was renamed "Masamune" in the American CT) is a broadsword...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 04:12:37 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
and the Granleon (which was renamed "Masamune" in the American CT) is a broadsword...

It just happens to be a broadsword when Gleen and Cyrus used it.  It changes forms with the user.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 04:18:03 pm »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
It just happens to be a broadsword when Gleen and Cyrus used it.  It changes forms with the user.

Or when mistranslations happen...

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 04:46:11 pm »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
and the Granleon (which was renamed "Masamune" in the American CT) is a broadsword...

Huh? It was always a broadsword (except when it was still the uncomplete Red Knife I suppose). Melchior, Crono, Cyrus, Frog, the mysterious caped and long-haired dude from Guardia's fall (tm), Radius, and Dario all used the Masamune and it was always a broadsword.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 07:13:29 pm »
Kinda ironic also that the Masamune is a katana and the Granleon (which was renamed "Masamune" in the American CT) is a broadsword...

I noticed that, too.

I always thought the Masamune, as a katana, should go to Crono, while Glenn should get a broadsword along the lines of Excalibur.

Crono_Maniac

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 05:42:54 pm »
When was the Masamune a katana?  I know it was in FF4, and wasn't it a katana for Edge?  It was in FF1 too.  I've never heard of the Murasame.  Wait, are you saying that the swords are concious beings, like the Murasame created a sword that was the essence of destruction.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 06:27:28 pm »
If the mythological Masamune has its origin in Japanese Mythology, why would it be anything other than a Japanese Sword, a Katana?

And I believe that Edge is able to get both the Masamune and the Murasame as his swords in FF4.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 11:06:48 pm »
It was a katana in mythology, but since the world of CT seems a tad western.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 02:36:39 am »
SC also has the Masamune. I said it just for the sake it.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 04:11:21 am »
Yeah, Golden Sun also has the Masamune and Muramasa (Sp?).

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 04:26:09 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
If the mythological Masamune has its origin in Japanese Mythology, why would it be anything other than a Japanese Sword, a Katana?

The holy sword in CT was called Grandleon in the Japanese version. It was named so in order to give an exotic feeling (Grandleon sounds Western). The American translator decided to rename the sword "Masamune", to keep the exotic feeling (Grandleon wouldn't be as cool as Masamune, for non-Japanese people).