Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 20539 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2005, 12:29:39 am »
I will, in turn, do the same.

I also understood the sphere grid, actually I understood it sooner than Junctioning, but I just didn't find it fun enough to really get to know it better and possibly 'take advantage' of it. I also played through FFX twice. The first time I just quit when I got to the Calm Lands. I wasn't having any fun. The second time I put forth alot more patience, decided to start clean from scratch, and play it through in as few sittings as possible. I did. I didn't have the chance to do any side quests, since my friend had to leave after the weekend was over, but I still didn't enjoy myself outside of the cutscenes, most of which totally kicked ass.

The sphere grid is a fun, completely original idea. It was fun to see the characters advance through the grid and get stronger with most new movements, and the abilities and spells and whatnot were nice. The idea of advancing along on a grid where nodes would teach you different things really could work.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2005, 01:35:57 am »
Quote from: nightmare975
Quote from: Silvercry
Oh, and Odin and Gilgamesh would show up randomly, but that doesn’t really count.

I hated it when Gilgamesh would show up and kill Rinoa and Adel in the begining of Disc 4

Yeah, I know what  you mean.  The one freaking time he actually uses a sword other than "Excalipoor" os the one time you don’t what him there.  I hate Gilgamesh.  Hated him in FF V, hated him in FF VIII, hated the FF XI server that shared his name.  Hate, hate, HATE!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2005, 06:25:31 am »
A GILGAMESH!!! I would rather try to get Odin after getting into Ultimecias period then keep Gilgamesh.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2005, 12:23:06 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
A GILGAMESH!!! I would rather try to get Odin after getting into Ultimecias period then keep Gilgamesh.

I think you can get Odin in Disc 4.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2005, 12:26:56 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
I think that you just don't enjoy games where gameplay requires thought.

Quote from: Mystik3eb
Anyway, that kind of comment is usually considered either a flame or a troll, or at least is very easily taken that way. Be more careful how you word things.

Quote from: The Same Guy, Ironically
Ok, you don't know what you're talking about, so please stop.

Any comment that ends w/"so please stop" in reference to posting an opinion is way more of a flame/troll than a comment that starts w/"I think". Not to mention the many spammy posts of yours that I've let go...>_>

And Silvercry, quit lording over the fact that you used the Junctioning system 'so perfectly' or w/e...There's two ways to play it. You junction to your Atk stat for Fight or you junction to your Mag stat for Summon. Either way the point is that it's an easy system. Whether you like easy or not is, of course, completely opinionated.

FFX was a lot of the same ol' if you ask me. Likeable, but nothing special. I liked the Grid System as it was pretty easy and fairly interesting. The battles were all just switching in who needed to be in. This kind of simplicity is similar to FFVIII's simplicity. You can like it or not, heavily opinionated again.

Also, Sentenal, Magic is more important in FFVIII than probably any other FF. It's just that USING Magic isn't very important. I don't see the big deal though. I mean, if it's not good to use, then use something else (which you should be doing in VIII).

But w/e

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2005, 12:51:11 pm »

Really?  I never tried.  I usually get him as soon as the garden become mobile.  Maybe I should try waiting next time.  Then again, I do enjoy what happens to Seifer when Gilgamesh shows up for the first time.  

Seifer’s misery brings me great joy.  God, I hated that kid.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2005, 01:02:32 pm »
Quote from: Silvercry

Really?  I never tried.  I usually get him as soon as the garden become mobile.  Maybe I should try waiting next time.  Then again, I do enjoy what happens to Seifer when Gilgamesh shows up for the first time.  

Seifer’s misery brings me great joy.  God, I hated that kid.

Odin was the only way I could beat him back in the old days

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2005, 01:10:17 pm »
Yeah, same here.  Then I got my butt handed to me by Adel, since I was overly dependant on GF summoning, which wont help you at all in that battle.  Restarted the game and paid attention to the GF tutorials, got back to Adel, and spanked her ass like a red-headed step child.  Felt good.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2005, 01:14:33 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka

Anyway, that kind of comment is usually considered either a flame or a troll, or at least is very easily taken that way. Be more careful how you word things.

Quote from: The Same Guy, Ironically
Ok, you don't know what you're talking about, so please stop.

Any comment that ends w/"so please stop" in reference to posting an opinion is way more of a flame/troll than a comment that starts w/"I think". Not to mention the many spammy posts of yours that I've let go...>_>

Actually I think you've got it totally backwards. Anyway he wasn't posting an opinion, he was making an assumption, a very incorrect assumption that made me rather angry, and I handled it better than others I've seen in this forum. Besides, there is nothing wrong with telling someone to stop making assumptions, though I admit I should've added the word "assuming" at the end of that sentence to make it clear.

And I don't know about you V_T, but I Preview most my posts before hitting Submit. And don't pretend you don't have plenty of spam of your own :wink:

I don't think I've ever fought Seifer without having Odin already. I just found Tonberry too useful with the Call Shop, Familiar and Haggle abilities to go through the game without him, and that was after my first time playing through where I just fought Odin without realizing what I was doing, haha. Gilgamesh does bother me in all the games, though, and Seifer does bug me. *shrug*

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2005, 01:24:48 pm »
This is fact: with the turn-system of FF10, and the fact that characters do have defined roles, forces you to use strategy in your battles. This more than any other normal FF game. And you hate it for this reason.

Ok, you don't know what you're talking about, so please stop. I've already named other games that require thinking and strategy that I enjoy, why do I have to remind you?

This is the entire quote. You were not referencing his assumption (and his previous assumption was automatically his opinion btw).

Oh, and anything of mine that's considered spam (that wasn't in one of those spam "game" threads) is normally on-topic, accompanied by something on-topic, or at the very least isn't one or two words long. My spam is extremely limited (not that that makes it better...but still).

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2005, 01:47:47 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
This is fact: with the turn-system of FF10, and the fact that characters do have defined roles, forces you to use strategy in your battles. This more than any other normal FF game. And you hate it for this reason.

Ok, you don't know what you're talking about, so please stop. I've already named other games that require thinking and strategy that I enjoy, why do I have to remind you?

This is the entire quote. You were not referencing his assumption (and his previous assumption was automatically his opinion btw).

Yes, I was referencing his assumption.  Look:

That is not an opinion.

Oh, and anything of mine that's considered spam (that wasn't in one of those spam "game" threads) is normally on-topic, accompanied by something on-topic, or at the very least isn't one or two words long. My spam is extremely limited (not that that makes it better...but still).

Yeah, same here. Actually I tend to make an effort to make sure I don't post spam, and I can tell you that maybe a little more than 5% of my posts can be considered 'spam', and that includes those stupid "Word Game" and "Stupid Question"-type posts.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2005, 02:07:07 pm »
Okay then, things were misunderstood due to taking things out of context...

I still don't see how you can say anything about him flaming or trolling when you don't seem to be posting any differently from him in this thread...

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2005, 02:26:18 pm »
I saw "you don't enjoy games where gameplay requires thought" to be an insult, wouldn't you?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2005, 03:26:58 pm »
Some people don't like Risk and Chess, others do.  If I said you don't like Risk or Chess, because they require too much thought, is than an insult?

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2005, 03:31:58 pm »
It could be taken as one, and I did. Guess I was really in the heat of the flames.

Anyway, I don't like Risk, it's only half strategy, and that's all based on chance anyway. I like Chess and Stratego, though. And I like Wist and Hearts, even though those are based on luck too...the only 'luck' is what you get in the beginning and what the others have, but if you're smart, you can overcome the bad luck.