Author Topic: Nu?  (Read 13700 times)

PhantomBPR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:36:13 pm »
What exactly are Nu's?  I always thought that they were creatures created by magic, but they were on earth before magic was created. So, what are they?

And now that I think about it, the book in Zeal says that all life begins with Nu and ends with Nu, so are they like dietes or something?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Nu?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:40:28 am »
Here's the Compendium Article The Secret of Nu

It's a lot of the original thought from many of the Compendium's founders on Nu from back in the Compendium's heyday...or is it hayday?

edit: yeah, but i still can't help but like the idea of a day made just for hay...>_>

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Nu?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:10:16 pm »

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Nu?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 09:31:06 pm »
Quote from: PhantomBPR
What exactly are Nu's?

Let's see.... You've got good Nus and bad Nus.  Then there's sensational Nus and special interest Nus.  There's also local Nus, regional Nus, and national Nus, although national Nus tend to be biased.  Biased or not, Nus are mostly harmless...except for the hangman's Nus.

EDIT:  Back on topic:  I no not believe that Nus were meant to have any sort of significance.  I believe they are what they are and nothing more: curious, intelligent creatures that for some reason or another exist in small numbers.  That they are present in every era should not be of concern.  After all, so are humans.

Naz

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 09:32:29 pm »
Hurrah for puns.

kickacecrono0091

Nu?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:35 pm »
Nu's are really smart. They are strong and exist a lot. That's about it.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:46 pm »
Very specific scratch points, too.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:53 pm »
Quote from: kickacecrono0091
...exist a lot. That's about it.

"Exist a lot?" How do you mean? If you are saying that they live , "exist," for a very long time, then that's true, but I don't think population wise their numbers are large. Also, there's much more to them than just that; even in game, Belthasar implies of their greatness in the book he wrote in Kajar (Enhasa? I forget which...think it's Kajar.)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:15:15 pm »
Smurf Baloons.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:18:27 pm »
Nu's=Titans of Worldcraft=Xel'naga of Starcraft=Aliens of Space Odyssey.

Maybe the Nu's helped the Planet cultivate life, and they'll be the ones to destroy it to make room for other lifeforms with better evolutionary potential.

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 07:29:06 pm »
Nu's are just life forms.  just cuz they aren't humans, doesn't give them any more significants, the fact that all life begins and ends with Nu is strange, maybe the fact that Spekkio's final form is a Nu also has something to do with it also.  But you don't hear anyone wondering the significance of any mystics or demihumans do ya?

Daniel Krispin

Nu?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 07:41:24 pm »
You know, I would take them to be the gods of the earth, as it were, or what for the Greeks would be chthonic deities. I suppose in Japanese these would be regional gods, or anything of that nature - I don't know Japanese myth and legend, so it's hard to make a comment, but I would consider them like the minor deities of a specific location. Say, what in our myths are nymphs and centaurs and satyrs and the like. Creatures which are older than humanity, and are born of gods before the Olympians came to power, from the unions for, in the case of nymphs, water deities. In time, they become the 'gods' or guardians of certain locations, deities of springs and wells and forests. I should think that to be the best explanation of a Nu. If you look at them like that, as the Chrono version of nymphs, it makes quite a bit of sense, I think.

By the way, I just had a funny thought. You know that 'all life begins and ends with Nu. That is my belief... at least for now...'? It just struck me: that sounds like a Natural Philosopher talking, from some heyday of early philosophy where the philosophers were putting out this theory and that for what lies at the origin of the world.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 06:22:57 pm »
Naw. The Nu don't have any resemblance to any regional Japanese deities. perhaps the Nu are the ultimate in evolution or something? The planet bore them first, their progeny are inferior and became the seperate, and the Nu themselves live forever, and after armageddon, only the Nu shall remain before they die :D

Zatopek

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 10:00:50 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
By the way, I just had a funny thought. You know that 'all life begins and ends with Nu. That is my belief... at least for now...'? It just struck me: that sounds like a Natural Philosopher talking, from some heyday of early philosophy where the philosophers were putting out this theory and that for what lies at the origin of the world.

It does sound like some of the early Greek philosophers like Miletus, Heraclitus, Anaximander, etc.  They were trying to understand what was the foundation of the material world and survived all change.  Was it water, air, earth, fire?  Apparently out friend in Zeal thought it was Nu...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:28:39 pm »
Some people thought it meant "Water" which Nu means in Ancient Egyptian, well atleast it means water of the Nile, I think.

That or Belthasar was already insane.... Or he used it as a metaphor to what he was going to do with a Nu. It all starts with a Nu.... He implants his mind into a Nu... And it all ends with Nu...... He gets switched off and sleeps forever.....?