Author Topic: Xenogears- WOW  (Read 3000 times)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 01:00:11 pm »
Can't say anything about Xenosaga... I'm just watching the Animation, and it's friggin incredible.

Xenogears is a great game. I'm halfway through disc 1, and it's incredible.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:43 pm »
Quote from: Philosopher1701
Ironic, isn't it? FFVIII is cool, 8)

Hell no it ain't. That was one of the worst FF games out there. WTF was up with the time compression? That made no sense.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 02:04:27 pm »
Quote from: nightmare975

Hell no it ain't. That was one of the worst FF games out there. WTF was up with the time compression? That made no sense.

Actually, Final Fantasy messed with time since the first episode on NES (with the 1,000-year time loop).

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 02:16:18 pm »
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My burned copy of disc 2 doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :x  :x  :x

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 03:22:44 pm »
pwned.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 03:31:12 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99

Actually, Final Fantasy messed with time since the first episode on NES (with the 1,000-year time loop).

I was just talking about FFVIII.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 03:44:16 pm »
In fact, Time Compression makes total sense. A time in which the past, future and present are combined. You can find things from the past, things from the present and things from the future. From that point in time, Ultimecia was able to have control of everything. Makes perfect sense, I think you just didn't want to understand it.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 03:58:52 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
In fact, Time Compression makes total sense. A time in which the past, future and present are combined. You can find things from the past, things from the present and things from the future. From that point in time, Ultimecia was able to have control of everything. Makes perfect sense, I think you just didn't want to understand it.

No, I understood it to an extent, you helped me out btw, thanks. But, the entire premes of the game suddenly goes off to fight s person you've never met.(FFIV anyone?) And, even though you succede, Ultimecia still wins.

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 09:05:11 pm »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 09:11:57 pm »
Here you go!  :)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_viii_time_ultimecia.txt

its a broken link

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 09:15:05 pm »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/

"Search" for Final Fantasy VIII.

Click on the file titled "Time/Ultimecia FAQ"

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 09:55:32 pm »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/

"Search" for Final Fantasy VIII.

Click on the file titled "Time/Ultimecia FAQ"

Yes, definitely give that FAQ a read.  However...

<2 cents>
I hate that FAQ.  It's screwy.  It gave me headaches last February.  It just doesn't work.  Period.

OK, perhaps I'm being too hard on Sir Bahamut.  (For the record, it's no coincidence that I'm Sir Frog.)  The FAQ is well written, and the plot analysis is quite good.  I just have issues with the discussions of time and time compresion.

Time compression does not make sense.  If time will "eventually" be compressed, time compression should always be experienced.  But that's not the case.  One of two things must be wrong:  either time CAN be changed in FFVIII or time compression cannot logically succeed.  The problem is that both of these are contradicted by the game itself.
</2 cents>

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 10:20:20 pm »
I'm trying to work time compression into my game I'm designing. Its still in the sketch phase however.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 12:43:22 am »
I'm trying to work time compression into my game I'm designing. Its still in the sketch phase however.

Good luck.  How would it work? Imagine it is 1000 A.D. and everything is A-OK.  Now imagine it is 2000 A.D. and some crazy sorceress is hellbent on compressing time and actually manages to do so.  Shouldn't 1000 A.D. also be part of the compressed timeline? Of course it should be.  But it isn't--we know this because we were there.

The only way to resolve time compression is to assume a new timeline is formed when time is compressed.  But this contradicts the major theme in FFVIII that one cannot change the past and that one must instead strive to work for a brighter future.   However, even if we assume this constraint away, it's clear that time compression is not all that big of a threat.  After all, there is no darkness beyond time in FFVIII.  So, if the crazy sorceress creates a new timeline in which time is compressed, the "original" timeline should continue to exist uninterrupted.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Xenogears- WOW
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 12:47:33 am »
Quote from: Sir Frog

Good luck.  How would it work? Imagine it is 1000 A.D. and everything is A-OK.  Now imagine it is 2000 A.D. and some crazy sorceress is hellbent on compressing time and actually manages to do so.  Shouldn't 1000 A.D. also be part of the compressed timeline? Of course it should be.  But it isn't--we know this because we were there.

The only way to resolve time compression is to assume a new timeline is formed when time is compressed.  But this contradicts the major theme in FFVIII that one cannot change the past and that one must instead strive to work for a brighter future.   However, even if we assume this constraint away, it's clear that time compression is not all that big of a threat.  After all, there is no darkness beyond time in FFVIII.  So, if the crazy sorceress creates a new timeline in which time is compressed, the "original" timeline should continue to exist uninterrupted.

Actually, all that happens at the end is

Quote from: SPOILER!
Ultimecia goes back in time and gives her powers to Edea, starting what caused everything leading up to Time Compression