Author Topic: My Rock Lee Workout plan  (Read 13233 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« on: August 23, 2005, 05:42:46 pm »
I crossreferenced by "Fit & Well" college textbook, C 2004, with Bruce Lee's personal training notes and conclusions (Art of Expressing the Human Body, get it from Amazon.com), and have created hopefully a strong fitness plan. Currently the plan is untested and unrefined; I might shed some things later, or add new components in time, but for now, I have this blueprint. It will take roughly one hour and thirty minutes to complete each day except Sunday; I'm fortunate to have the free time. If I can commit to this and develop myself, maintaining it for the rest of my life when I have a career and limited time shouldn't be a problem. Bruce Lee was allowed to pursue this throughout his life simply because his job was martial arts.

Anyway, if anyone here is experienced, advice or commentary would be helpful. I still need to review weight training stuff in my Fit & Well book. If all goes well, next week I will be forsaking sweet and excessive foods and soda, and will get on a regular 3 meal a day diet with a snack in between dinner and lunch (starving yourself means gaining weight, you know). I will also begin this fitness plan; this entire lifestyle shift is tentatively called "The Rock Lee Lifestyle." Anyway, here it is!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:27:31 pm »
Three meals a day is fine for most people, but you might want to consider 5 or 6 small meals. It will help keep your blood sugar at a more consistant level throughout the day. A couple can be protein drinks, particularly after weightlifting, as that is the time when the body is most receptive to taking in protein. With the bench press in specific, find a weight that you are comfortable doing 8 reps of (however many sets you do, I do two) and keep doing that until you can do 10 reps, then increase the weight by 10lbs and go back to doing 8 reps. Good luck.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 06:59:15 pm »
Thanks; good ideas. Bruce Lee did a protein shake each day after lifting, but I forgot about that. I'll do some more research on it.

Nice food tip, too. I'm actually very wary of blood sugar fluctuations, since suddenly going off candy (I'm a stickler for Reese's) and soda might take awhile to adjust.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:01:09 pm »
.....I don't get it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 07:05:53 pm »
Sometimes, ZeaLitY, it almost seems like you're going out of your way to remind me that you're one weird kid. :lol: Sounds awesome, good luck!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 07:08:12 pm »
Aura, for a long time I've been trying to get into strong fitness, but it always falls apart because I have no set plan to adhere to and no record of my progress. This time it's going to be different; I'm starting out with a pretty big plan incorporating stuff on the cutting edge of physical fitness, and I'll modify it as needed as I gain experience.

Stretching will always be done after the rest of the workout, by the way. Stretching decreases physical performance by 5% or greater if done before a workout or activity, and REALLY decreases performance if it's done incorrectly (ballistic stretching, etc).

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 07:08:23 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Sometimes, ZeaLitY, it almost seems like you're going out of your way to remind me that you're one weird kid. :lol: Sounds awesome, good luck!

What, didn't you ever lift weights? I don't really have the time anymore to go all out, but it's definately a worthwhile endeavor. For now, my main workout routine is a 4+ mile walk every day, followed by some weights for my arms, shoulders, and chest every other day. And I feel great, even better than when I was more into lifting.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 07:09:12 pm »
Nice on the four miles. My quadriceps are real weak bastards right now, always complaining. I'm cutting down on playing racquetball (I just can't say no to a game), since my right stances fatigue my right quad faster than my left and cause imbalance.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 07:09:41 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Aura, for a long time I've been trying to get into strong fitness, but it always falls apart because I have no set plan to adhere to and no record of my progress. This time it's going to be different; I'm starting out with a pretty big plan incorporating stuff on the cutting edge of physical fitness, and I'll modify it as needed as I gain experience.

Try finding a friend. When I was in high school, my best friend and I lifted together, so we always had the motivation to keep going, and we could learn from and aid each other. Not to mention, it's handy to have a spot when you're trying to max out.

EDIT:

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Nice on the four miles. My quadriceps are real weak bastards right now, always complaining. I'm cutting down on playing racquetball (I just can't say no to a game), since my right stances fatigue my right quad faster than my left and cause imbalance.

Try the leg press. It's a ncie ego boost, because of the large amount of weight (I started with twice my body weight) and because it works out large muscles, it helps keep the testosterone flowing, which will aid you in all parts of your work out.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:13:21 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
What, didn't you ever lift weights?

Uh, just for school...I got up to 125 pounds! Yippy! And I could lift my weight on bench press! I've since dropped back down though...and I highly doubt I could lift the same...oh well! And mainly I meant the integration of the Rock Lee stuffs...but w/e, I was just kidding...more or less...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 07:40:52 pm »
Alright, let me brief, and then I'll jump into more detail about it later.

This isn't going to work.

Now I'm not being mean.  It sounded mean, but reading text over the internet can obviously lose a lot of emphasis or easily be interpreted the wrong way.  So just listen to what I gotta say first.

First off, I'm somewhat of a workout whore.  I lift weights 5 times a week, and I do cardio 4-5 times a week.  Generally speaking, my weight routine is a rough, 1 to 1.5 hour workout.  Now, keep in mind, its way more fierce than most people's routine.  99% of the peopel out there will do a set, of say, flys, wait 3 minutes, then do the next set.  Not me.  I do a set, immediately move into a different set of something else, and then come back later.  The most time I have of not using a muscle group in an exercise might be 45 seconds, simply for the setting up of weights.

My cardio routine varies dramatically (mainly because I nealy broke my ankle earlier this summer, which has changed a lot, obviously).  However, in general, I run b/w a 5-8k, or 45 - 1 hour (depending on mood) on the eliptical.

And eating I'm pretty much the same.  During the day I drink nothing but water, maybe some powerade.  I don't drink alchohol, period.  No ifs and or buts.  My news years resolution was to not drink any soda, and surprisingly, I haven't had a single drop of Soda for the year of 2005, and its worked wonders.  Actual solid foods I'm great on.  A can of tuna every other day (too much tuna can get you some net mercury, not good), low-fat turkey snadwhiches (no mayo) TONS and TONs of vegetables, mainly in the form of peppers and cucumbers.  Unfortunatly, when I go out with friends at night, I tend to pig out on junk, but I'm getting better.

Now, why am I saying your proposed routine isn't going to work?  It seems to me like as of right now, you don't really have any form of working out at all.   And that is why this will not work (for the time being).  You can NOT expect to just jump (literally and figuratively) into this program.  It's too much for your body, somewhat physically, but MOSTLY mentally.  Trust me on this, working out is 95% mental.  You can be sore as hell, but be in a certain mood and still have a great workout.  On the other hand, I might not have worked out for 4 days, and not have an ache in my body, and think I need a workout.  But then you end up getting tot he gym, and for whatever reason, you can't get yourself to do a set of anything.  Believe me, working out is mostly mental.  Jumping right into a routine like you said will be too much for you to handle.

Now, what would I suggest?  First off, like you said, cut soda completly off.  I can't tell you how much it does for you.  Soda is bad for you, whether its diet, colda, whatever.  It eats at the lining fo your stomach, among many other things.  So, cut it out, completly.  You'll feel great, less weighed down, and have a more defined 6-pack just from NOT drinking it.  It's done me wonders this year.

Second, start biking places.  You can bike a lot farther than you think, trust me.  It'll whip ya in shape real fast. Bike a couple miles to your friends place instead of driving there.

Third, drink water.  It does a body good.  (Moreso than milk).

Fourth, ease into a routine at the gym.  Ignore the 50,000 excercises the chart tells you to do.  Do whatever you feel right about.  Try starting with one routine per major muscle group.  Ease yourself in.  Try to focus mainyl on freeweights, rather than the uh... I'm blanking on the name, whatever the machines are.  The machines not only make your load easier to lift, but focus completly on power.  Free weights make the lift more difficult, plus build hand-eye coordination, and balancing skills.  Machines lack this.

So, there ya have it.  Hope that helps.  Feel free to asks any questions, I'll be glad to answer more in detail than I have in this post, I love working out.  I like to think that Zeality :: Tessarect and DBT as Dewey :: Working Out and Eating.

Just to give a quick thingy:

I'm 20 years old, 5'6, 141.  Max bench is currently somewhere b/w 245-250 (EDIT: pounds, I forgot we had an international board here), and I can run a 5k in about 18 minutes.  (I'm a better sprinter and biker  :? )

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 07:59:10 pm »
Oh, yes, I realize. I am running and lifting weights currently anyway (run about 2-3 times a week, 2-3 miles, while weights are limited to upper body), but when I adopt the program, I plan to start at reduced weights (20 below what I'd normally try to jump in to) for just about everything so I can fully slip into it. That book never provides a "HERE IS A SCHEDULE 4 U THAT BRUCE LEE DID LOL," but the circuit training program was standalone and Lee did it throughout his life. Never tried something like that.

Well, I just wanted to clarify that. I've been working out casually for a long time, but I've just never tried to quantify it, you know? This isn't like "well fuk u, u dont know me post," but I mean I've had some experience and a class before, and just perhaps wanted to restore some confidence.

What's your opinion of biking machines? Occasionally I'll use them (level 9 out of 1-14, 15 minutes).

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 08:03:31 pm »
Oh ok, sorry it was unclear if you had worked out before.  I'll give you more of a response later tonight, I have to run out to a end-of-summer BBQ (watch the grease!) right now though.

About the biking machines: in brief, a waste of time.  I'll expand later tonight.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 09:15:48 pm »
I guess this info will help too; I'm 6'7", 230 lbs. Body fat's rather evenly distributed; I have no serious area of collection, like a gut or flabby arms / cankles. I really can't wait to start and lose some of this.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
My Rock Lee Workout plan
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:18 pm »
The Rock Lee style, eh? Doesn't that mean you should do 200 kicks, and if you can't do that, 500 punches, and if you can't do that, 1000 laps etc. :lol:

Anyways, it sounds ok...I'm a Shodan (1st degree black belt) in Kenpo Karate, which I do for an hour and a half 3 times a week, and it's a pretty tough workout. That really keeps me in shape, among biking to my friends house on occasion, which can be either .25 miles -2 miles (depending on friend)

P.S. Wow you're like 2x as big as me ( 5 ft.3 105 pounds o_O). But you're also 5(?) years older than me so it would make sense :lol: .