Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 1141 times)

Jinx

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://snes.ds4a.com
A few suggestions
« on: August 13, 2005, 01:35:33 pm »
Hey, just a few suggestions.

1) Get a logo (not good without one...)
2.a) Get a new skin.
OR
2.b) Switch to IPB.

Trust me, it'll make this place a lot more popular if you just change the look of it, because the look (on all the skins you have up) are quite unappealing.

Not trying to be offensive at all, so please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to help.
And believe me, I've had a lot of good forums in my time, so I know what I'm talking about.

At least, consider it.  :wink:

Ramsus

A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:49:17 pm »
1. Eventually we'll just skin the forums to fit in the same layout as the rest of the site.

2. IPB is not free software/open source, so using it means licensing issues that I'd rather not get into. There's a freely downloadable version, but the sources are encoded, making it difficult to actually modify.

As for a new skin, that's also on the back burner. phpBB let's you completely customize the skins, since they're just templates files, so I'll eventually make one from scratch that fits the rest of the site. I plan on making a new layout for the site first though. In the meantime, Zeality and a number of forum goers have been trying their hands at things, which is where we get all of the current skins. If you want to take a crack at it, feel free.

However, making some snappy looking forums for a bunch of half-interested 12-year olds to come and talk about how cool Crono or Magus are isn't the goal of the site. Popularity is a poor measure for us to use in determining the quality of our forums, or the direction in which we should move.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
A few suggestions
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 07:13:04 pm »
"Classic" was half complete, and will eventually become a replica of SquareInsider's color scheme. "Viper Manor" is a failure, since I just can't get it as I see it in my head.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
A few suggestions
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 07:25:45 pm »
ha ha, no offense Zeality but when I switched to see what Vipor Manor was I almost screamed in horror.  I think Zuran is about as good of a skin as I'ver ever seen though.

--jp

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A few suggestions
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:50:35 pm »
I'm telling you, make that Zeal theme!  Purple and blue is the hottest thing these days!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
A few suggestions
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:49:49 pm »
1)

2) Subsilver is my favorite skin over several forums (GameFAQs, FFInsider, SquareInsider, IcyBrian, Chronicles, Chrono Shock, etc...)...It's simple, clean, & gets the job done. Plus, it loads real quick (which is always a plus for us lame-o 56k people).

Daniel Krispin

Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 03:00:48 am »
Quote from: Jinx
Hey, just a few suggestions.

1) Get a logo (not good without one...)
2.a) Get a new skin.
OR
2.b) Switch to IPB.

Trust me, it'll make this place a lot more popular if you just change the look of it, because the look (on all the skins you have up) are quite unappealing.

Not trying to be offensive at all, so please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to help.
And believe me, I've had a lot of good forums in my time, so I know what I'm talking about.

At least, consider it.  :wink:

Really? The colour scheme here and Chronicles is the best I've ever seen. Or this greyish colour is, at least. It seems more classy, more sombre. All these other bright colours are trying too hard, I think. Personally, I think there's a good chance I wouldn't post on a board if it wouldn't have colours like this. In fact, come to think of it, I only started posting a lot after the colours were changed. I wonder if there's a correlation...