Author Topic: Official Final Fantasy Tactics Help Thread  (Read 2350 times)

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Official Final Fantasy Tactics Help Thread
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:36:32 pm »
Quote from: yoshie
is there any unit thats good at takeing out dragoons. im stuck at when i have to go to a church and fight 3 dragoons in chapter 3

Ninjas are your best bet. They can strike fast enough and hard enough to take them out very very fast. Else, use Knights to bust their weapons and make the jump ability useless to them.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 06:47:10 pm »
My fav combo for taking out...well...anything...Is Calculator's (with a good set of high magic learned, like Lvl 4 Black Magics and/or Flare and/or Holy) ability Math Skill on a Ninja!

Just stand back (don't bother wasting a Move w/Calculators) and blow 'em away from afar w/no MP loss! Lancers tend to stay on high ground too, so it should be easy to target them.

Prest-O! You've got yerself one cleared out battle field. It might take a little time to develop them properly (getting their magic for one)...but, hey, that's like what this game's all about!

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:25:19 am »
I much prefer having a character with higher MA values than a Ninja (Summoners are a great choice for this, as are Chemists with a Wizard's Magic Attack Up ability), with the Calculator's Math Skill, are a great choice for magic users.  I discovered the joy of Calculators about three or four playthroughs ago, and now my favorite party is Ramza, Agrias, Beowulf and two player characters, a fighter (a ninja with the Archer's Concentrate ability works exceedingly well) and a magic user (a high-MA class with Math Skill, as described above).  I don't like using Orlandu, he's too broken.  With this party (especially with my using Ramza as a Paladin, i.e. White Magic as his other ability, Agrias as a Time Magic-wielding knight, and Beowulf and the ninja as Item-users), I can take care of damned near anything.

Goddamn, Calculators are fun.  Well, the class itself sucks (that extremely low speed is...gah), but that Math Skill...so fun.  I love exploiting the game's mechanics like that.  Makes me feel like Red Mage from 8-bit Theatre.

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 07:14:16 pm »
So how do I beat Wiegreif solo in chapter 3.  He takes me out with his Lightning Stab everytime.  I tried using rubber shoes to no avial...  I couldn't break his weapon either.  I don't have the auto potion ability on me, will I have to get it?

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 08:17:13 pm »
Auto Potion, with nothing in your inventory but X-Potions, is the best way to do this.  Otherwise, that battle takes a bit of luck.  Especially if you plan on soloing the second half of it as well.

I think for a solo Ramza game, Auto Potion, or maybe HP Restore, is a near-absolute necessity.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 08:28:31 pm »
That was such a horrible part of the game. It has the potential for being a real game-ender. It's only okay if you see it coming. Luckily over-leveling in this game is by far one of the funnest pass-times for me. Ramza JUMP his ass! Or whatever...Ninja Calculate from far away...Move +2!!!

Yes, I realize I'm not helping...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 06:20:07 am »
A good strategy I used is to change Ramza's job to Ninja and give him the Guts skill. Have Ramza run away far from Wiegraf every turn while using Yell (or Scream if you can have it). You will be hit a little by his Lighting Stab, but if you survive after a while you'll start to be much quicker than him, you'll even have time for 3 or 4 turns before he even has 1... This will be easy then.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 02:22:58 am »
Ramza's Guts skill is easily one of the best special skill sets in the game.

I also love over-leveling in this game.

I still firmly believe that a well-built team of player characters (i.e. non-NPCs) can defeat anything, even a team of playable NPCs, including Orlandu (possible with Game Shark).

I think the most well-rounded class is Geomancer.

I think the most fun characters are either ninjas with concentrate, or magic users with math skill.

Killing undead things with hundreds of HP by using a feather of a mythical bird is always fun, no matter how cheap it is.

I'm in a rather random mood right now.

Orlandu "breaks" this game.

Why can't anyone make a game that's as fun to play as this one?

I think I'll stop now.

Phoenix Rebirth

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:27 am »
What is the deal with Cloud? I have only been able to have him join my party on one saved file.  Whenever I try on other save files none of the events necessary occur.  Is there an event that increases the odds of meeting cloud? Any help would be appreciated ^_^

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 02:28:45 am »
I actually finished Tactics the other day. I was surprised that it ended so quickly. Anyway, I'll have to check out the Deep Dungeon now. In preparation I'm mastering a few calculators and a lancer for long range attacks.

BTW, there aren't any random battles with Ultima demons are there? I kind of missed all of the ealier opportunities. I'm thinking I might just start a new game.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 04:30:46 pm »
Quote from: Ramsus
I actually finished Tactics the other day. I was surprised that it ended so quickly. Anyway, I'll have to check out the Deep Dungeon now. In preparation I'm mastering a few calculators and a lancer for long range attacks.

BTW, there aren't any random battles with Ultima demons are there? I kind of missed all of the ealier opportunities. I'm thinking I might just start a new game.

Sadly, there are none. I searched very hard for them and there are only a few oppurtunities in the entire game to get the special attack.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 05:41:05 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix Rebirth
What is the deal with Cloud? I have only been able to have him join my party on one saved file.  Whenever I try on other save files none of the events necessary occur.  Is there an event that increases the odds of meeting cloud? Any help would be appreciated ^_^

First of all, you must have Mustadio in your party.  Second of all, every time you encounter one new event, go back to Goug Machine City to see another one, or if that doesn't work go complete a few more story scenarios, then go back to Goug and try again.

Also, make sure you went to the bar in Goland Coal City and ask about a new rumor that appears only there and only in Chapter 4, and then go to Lesalia Imperial Capital to get Beowulf into your party as a guest.  If you haven't done these things, it won't start.

In any case, if you're having trouble triggering these events, just complete more main story scenarios and try again.

BunnyFighter877

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=RandomReels778
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 07:13:27 am »
cloud is THE FUNNEST(omni-slash followed by a braver or 2 then to end with a cherry blossom) character to mess around with, even if he really isnt one of the greater characters.
if it werent for his horrible CT and the fact that short charge doesnt really help that much MOST of the time then he would probably be the second strongest character in the game(first being the WAY overpowered orlandu)

CHERRY BLOSSOM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if it does have a regular charge time of [last time i played] 12 turns