Author Topic: Event Tricks - Temporal Flux  (Read 10381 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Event Tricks - Temporal Flux
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 02:29:42 am »
I am such a LAIR! One more. :p

This one can be added in to specific sprites, since it only affects individual sprites.

This one fades the sprite almost to pure white, and leaves it there.

This one is a bit different.

Memory Copy
Multimode 88
Param 1 - F
Param 2 - F
Param 3 - 1
Data - Leave empty

--------------edit------------------

Put this in somewhere to unfade the sprite from white back to it's colors.
Maybe put a pause in between them, or something, depending on your scene.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 02:41:27 am »
This one fades the background to black, but your sprites remain visible.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 02:59:42 am »
Okay, I haven't tried any of these out or anything, not because they don't sound cool, because they do, but because I just barely know what all of it's about. :P But I was wondering (this seems to me like a valid question) with all of this fading, is it possible to control how fast said fading occurs? Or is it all just preset speeds? Because it seems like it would be a cool thing to have a character sprite kind of flash to white in the event that you plan to...uh, plan...an event...where said sprite character, like, gets hit by another character sprite or something.

That made sense, right?

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 04:50:03 am »
Yes, you would put the command in the event code at the moment you want it to appear, then adjust the parameter fields to get the appearance and timing just right.

Possible parameters for those commands could include things like:

Color intensity
Duration (from A to B)
Duration (once complete)
Color index
Palette index

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 06:42:14 pm »
Hey, guys! This is DDK. I'm on a different computer, but not for very long, so I'm not logging in. I have a Memory Copy question... I'm trying to use the Memory Copy that makes Ozzie's sprite greyscale(the Medina statue) for statues in other areas. However, after I posted it in said area, the Memory Copy simply gives me the black screen of doom when I enter the area. I know I got the right MemCop because I tested its function in Medina Square...

I don't have TF on this computer(so no screenshots currently), but I tried to match the placement of coding exactly like it was with Ozzie's statue, but no show. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 08:23:53 pm »
I have your answer. :)
You need a Goto command pointing to the label of the Memcpy. You need this Goto in the Idle area of your Startup/Idle section, which is after the first Return command under Startup/Idle.

Some sprites look better than others, of course. ;)

My labels will be different than yours, so make sure they match up with yours and not those of my screenshot.

-edit-
Actually, after fiddling with that Memcpy for a bit, it appears that the data is just an entire palette, effectively giving you the chance to make a palette and apply it through event code. Cool. ^_^

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 12:51:29 am »
Ok, it didn't go exactly like that, but I got it working. Thanks CL

=)

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 06:00:10 am »
See what happens when you use the white fade, but 40, 8, F, 1 as the params.

---T.Geiger

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 06:30:05 am »
Quote from: Geiger
See what happens when you use the white fade, but 40, 8, F, 1 as the params.

---T.Geiger

Sort of inverted her colors (or something similar). Really nice. :)

The last param on that one is the fade in speed, so set the final param to something like 9 for a better view of it (1 was a bit too fast for my mortal eyes).

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 06:58:33 pm »
This is a pretty neat trick. :D
Random enemies!

I make use of the Random Number generator and have some comparison commands decide which monster gets loaded into the scene. In this example, I have 2 monsters, Gato, and Masa& Mune. Only one of them will load, based on the random number written to memory. Walk into Gato's Exhibit and Gato may be there, but the next time, maybe Masa & Mune will be there waiting. Imagine dungeons and areas where the monsters can be as unpredictable as you want (with a little work :P).
If there are 255 possible random numbers to be generated, you could code in a monster for each possibility.

That would make for an awesome Colloseum type area (think FF6), where one party member is chosen, to face a random monster, and win a random prize...

Here is my code, not copied from anywhere in the ROM, just sort of thrown together (I'm surprised it works).

The Random Number is written to a different space in memory (It's 8 bytes off) but it's easy enough to see where using Geiger's Debugger RAM viewer. (That's why my comparison checks are checking a different location than what the Random Number command says it's writing to).

So much cool stuff to do with this one....

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 08:31:37 pm »
Excellent. That could just prove the trick to making a coliseum. It also would make the game really diverse...just think of a person going through, and then loading up NG+ to find that things are really different.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 02:49:58 am »
DivineDragoonKain suggested multiple NPC layouts and actions for area variety, a very cool suggestion.

I just thought of this one though... Remember in Final Fantasy 7, in the Golden Saucer, the shady guy that would appear at random and sell you points in exchange for your money? That would be cool to have a super rare occurance of some sort of merchant that sold great items, like one value out of 255 possibilities the player would run across this salesman. Or a powerful optional enemy that the most unlucky players will come across when they least expect it... oh the fun of random events. ^_^

I'm up to 20 different enemies loading up in Gato's Exhibit now, no problems so far. Thankfully, they can each have their own X,Y coords, and some can be in groups while others just appear by themselves (Gato one time, and 3 Queen Zeals the next).

Hey... random title screens! Why just have one? Every time they power on, they get a different title screen.... Nothing too fancy, just some fun automated events to watch, give the player more reasons to keep coming back...

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 02:55:20 am »
I hate random in games, I'm so unlucky.

I mean in Chrono Cross I played nearly 20 time the compass game thinking I was jsut unlucky! When I think luck is running out it's something else -_- ...

Have you ever played Dungeon Master II... I got hit over 5 time by lighting ...  :cry:

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 03:00:07 am »
I'm sure people won't abuse the randomosity too badly (>_>), it won't make or break your game, and I must say, that's pretty unlucky... lightning never strikes the same place twice... unless it hits you of course :D

Just to tempt fate though, I think I'll find a copy of Dungeon Master II.
If I never post again... you'll know the lightning got me. :(

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 06:15:53 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
I'm trying to devise a section to store these findings on the Encyc

Great idea ZeaLitY! Though it might take a long time to create (let alone actually getting it all down first), it would be something MANY MANY ppl would love! I have hardly even messed around with my TF because the event coding was so dificult to undertand. If that appeared on the encyclopedia with simple instructions for dummies like me  :wink: , i would be wipping up a CT sequel in no time (well maybe not in no time but u get the point!)

~LC