Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112465 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2007, 01:17:44 am »
That said, this act also takes away one of the key exceptions to third-trimester abortion banning: threatening the health of the mother. It only allows for such an abortion if there is direct, immediate danger to the mother's life, and usually by that point it is too late to undo the damage. Pregnancy is not the safest thing in the world, even with our current medicine.

The pregnancy termination method pejoratively labeled "partial birth" abortion is a method of abortion--not an indication of the point in the timeline of a pregnancy at which an abortion occurs. There are other, still-legal methods of abortion for late-stage pregnancies, and "partial birth" abortions are not exclusively a late-stage pregnancy termination method.

The problem with banning "partial birth" abortions is that the procedure is generally only used when it is in the specific health interests of the mother. For that reason, this ban will definitely maim and probably kill women, plain and simple.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2007, 01:30:35 am »
Good News

My dog has turned 30. Wait, I don't have a dog.

Bad News

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2007/s1900614.htm
Two babies drown in the same river within five months of each other. People are talking about making prams more safe and secure; how about making the fucking river more safe and secure?

Corporate Television Gone Bad

Channel 7 has officially been announced (by me) to have the worst reality shows ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Comic_Standing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_With_the_Stars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia's_Got_Talent

Also, the A Current Affair, which along with Today Tonight are the most biased, mind-controlling shows on television, is holding a segment criticizing The Chaser, a group of comedians who criticize society and, well, those two shows. Gotta see it tonight, see what bullshit they try to feed me.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2007, 01:31:18 am »
Boy, how happy and enchanting your world must be.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2007, 01:51:20 am »
Good News: U.S. Government Likely to Approve Creation of Wild Sky Wilderness Area
With the Democrats back in control of Congress, this long-stalled initiative finally passed the House, where Republicans had obstructed its progress. It should enjoy smooth sailing in the Senate, and President Bush has indicated he will sign it. This will give maximum-level wildland protections to about 100,000 acres of land—the first new wilderness area created in Washington in nearly the span of my lifetime.

Bad News: Supreme Court Places Major Ban on Abortion
ZeaLitY already brought this up, but I mean to bring it up again. This article in the P-I indicates that hundreds or even thousands of women in Washington State alone will be impacted by this ban, each year. This ban is a direct assault on women’s rights, dismisses good science in the face of religious fundamentalism, and emboldens anti-abortion activists to press for further bans on abortion. This is a taste of what George Bush’s Supreme Court plans for America. The ban is altogether evil.

WTF News: Russia Plans Siberia-Alaska Tunnel
The tunnel, part of a larger $65 billion transportation corridor, will include pipes, rails, roads, and wires. It will be twice as long as the Chunnel. I’m not actually convinced this is good news, because for one thing the project is highly likely to fail, and for another thing the environmental consequences of opening this transportation link may be very dire. But this tunnel has been talked about for a long time, and it is exciting to think it might finally happen. My admiration at the engineering marvel that such a project would produce, and my optimism toward progress is general, is enough for me to view this project positively. It’ll be a monster undertaking, and already has attracted the interest of multiple countries on both sides of the ocean.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2007, 02:00:46 am »
I've...got to...

Resist...

Must...

No...

Why me talk like caveman?

I can't...

It's...overpowering...

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, TUNNEL BUILDS YOU!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2007, 02:31:42 am »
Shit, the Ruskis gonna impurify ours water agin!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2007, 02:36:52 am »
You're not even American. Now shoo, before somebody drops a Lenin on yo' ass.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2007, 03:21:31 am »
He raises a good point though, Mandrake. The Russians have been trying to steal our precious bodily fluids since the fifties. That's why I only drink pure rainwater. No flourine, no way for the Russians to poison it.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2007, 05:49:30 am »
No way for the Russians to poison it.
I dunno, they have their ways. You wanna know the true story behind Sputnik?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2007, 12:22:10 pm »
The pregnancy termination method pejoratively labeled "partial birth" abortion is a method of abortion--not an indication of the point in the timeline of a pregnancy at which an abortion occurs. There are other, still-legal methods of abortion for late-stage pregnancies, and "partial birth" abortions are not exclusively a late-stage pregnancy termination method.

The problem with banning "partial birth" abortions is that the procedure is generally only used when it is in the specific health interests of the mother. For that reason, this ban will definitely maim and probably kill women, plain and simple.
I know...after doing a lot more research on the subject after I posted that post yesterday I've come to realize this...it's sickening. I find the idea of a partial-birth abortion disturbing because I know what happens in it, but it's a necessary procedure for the health of the mother in so many instances.

It's just a damned shame how so many religious conservatives fool women into being religious conservatives and allowing themselves to be ruled over by men...they're indoctrinated nigh from birth...I'll tell you this much: any daughter of mine can have an abortion if she ever needs to for her health or whatever reasons. It's her body, not mine. I have no right to decide for her anymore than I would have a right to decide for my wife or any other woman. Men should not be allowed to decide this, only women. Period.

Good News: U.S. Government Likely to Approve Creation of Wild Sky Wilderness Area
With the Democrats back in control of Congress, this long-stalled initiative finally passed the House, where Republicans had obstructed its progress. It should enjoy smooth sailing in the Senate, and President Bush has indicated he will sign it. This will give maximum-level wildland protections to about 100,000 acres of land—the first new wilderness area created in Washington in nearly the span of my lifetime.

Fantastic news, always. Our current methods of industry and urban creation results in too much damage to the environment with potentially catastrophic effects for our way of life in the future...until we develop more efficient and enviro-friendly methods we need all the protected space we can get.
Bad News: Supreme Court Places Major Ban on Abortion
ZeaLitY already brought this up, but I mean to bring it up again. This article in the P-I indicates that hundreds or even thousands of women in Washington State alone will be impacted by this ban, each year. This ban is a direct assault on women’s rights, dismisses good science in the face of religious fundamentalism, and emboldens anti-abortion activists to press for further bans on abortion. This is a taste of what George Bush’s Supreme Court plans for America. The ban is altogether evil.
Hundreds or thousands in Washington state alone?! That's enough to make me want to say "Jesus Christ!" Ridiculous...purely ridiculous...

WTF News: Russia Plans Siberia-Alaska Tunnel
The tunnel, part of a larger $65 billion transportation corridor, will include pipes, rails, roads, and wires. It will be twice as long as the Chunnel. I’m not actually convinced this is good news, because for one thing the project is highly likely to fail, and for another thing the environmental consequences of opening this transportation link may be very dire. But this tunnel has been talked about for a long time, and it is exciting to think it might finally happen. My admiration at the engineering marvel that such a project would produce, and my optimism toward progress is general, is enough for me to view this project positively. It’ll be a monster undertaking, and already has attracted the interest of multiple countries on both sides of the ocean.
I'm going to have to smack Zeality for the Soviet Russia joke because I've heard far too many of those about this bit of news already and it's beginning to piss me off. Still, the actual news is quite interesting. I just hope it pays off...the sheer usefulness of a tunnel from North America to Asia should not be underestimated. With this tunnel one could concievably drive or walk from New York City to Moscow, or Beijing, or Dubai, or Cairo, or any other city in Asia, Europe, or Africa. Now if only we had a tunnel stretching to Australia...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »
Balance Edition

Good News

Governor Brad Henry has vetoed a state bill that would have made it illegal to get an abortion in Oklahoma except under circumstance of physical injury or death. This guy is fighting a gargantuan pitched battle with the entire Oklahoma state government right now to keep trash like this out of the legislation. He's already kicked two budgets to the curb; those plans, like this abortion bill, were "overwhelmingly approved" by the legislators of the state.

Bad News

Well, I said it before, and now CNN is shouting it from the rooftops:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/04/19/btsc.koinange.zimbabwe/index.html

Robert Mugabe destroyed Zimbabwe.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:41 pm »
Balance Edition

Good News

Governor Brad Henry has vetoed a state bill that would have made it illegal to get an abortion in Oklahoma except under circumstance of physical injury or death. This guy is fighting a gargantuan pitched battle with the entire Oklahoma state government right now to keep trash like this out of the legislation. He's already kicked two budgets to the curb; those plans, like this abortion bill, were "overwhelmingly approved" by the legislators of the state.
And if I lived in Oklahoma he would have my full support. As it is I do have friends there and they are behind him all the way. With luck, some others of the populace are as well.

Bad News

Well, I said it before, and now CNN is shouting it from the rooftops:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/04/19/btsc.koinange.zimbabwe/index.html

Robert Mugabe destroyed Zimbabwe.
Sad...so sad...but not unexpected in the least. Mugabe has been nothing but disasterous to Zimbabwe.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:29 pm »
I'm going to have to smack Zeality for the Soviet Russia joke because I've heard far too many of those about this bit of news already and it's beginning to piss me off. Still, the actual news is quite interesting. I just hope it pays off...the sheer usefulness of a tunnel from North America to Asia should not be underestimated. With this tunnel one could concievably drive or walk from New York City to Moscow, or Beijing, or Dubai, or Cairo, or any other city in Asia, Europe, or Africa. Now if only we had a tunnel stretching to Australia...
Oh no you don't!

Good News

If you haven't heard, David Hicks has been brought back home after five years in Guantanamo Bay without charge. He is only doing seven months jail time though, after pleading guilty to charges of material support to terrorists; though almost everyone thinks he did it just to get back to Australia.

Bad News

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/four-die-in-gastro-outbreak/2007/04/14/1175971416763.html
Five people (the article is a couple of days old) die in a gastro outbreak in a nursing home. Why? People say contaminated water, some say negligence, but it can all go down to beaurecracy gone wrong. State government blames the federal, the federal blames the state. I say: get rid of the state governments constitutional rights. The state usually screws us all over, and I think a more federalised process is needed.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2007, 10:33:52 pm »

Oh no you don't!
Might be beneficial, you know...maybe you guys'll finally stop worshipping your sports heroes.

Good News

If you haven't heard, David Hicks has been brought back home after five years in Guantanamo Bay without charge. He is only doing seven months jail time though, after pleading guilty to charges of material support to terrorists; though almost everyone thinks he did it just to get back to Australia.
I'd be amazed the Australian government allowed us to detain Hicks in the first place, but given John Howard's ability to worship our President...

Bad News

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/four-die-in-gastro-outbreak/2007/04/14/1175971416763.html
Five people (the article is a couple of days old) die in a gastro outbreak in a nursing home. Why? People say contaminated water, some say negligence, but it can all go down to beaurecracy gone wrong. State government blames the federal, the federal blames the state. I say: get rid of the state governments constitutional rights. The state usually screws us all over, and I think a more federalised process is needed.
I would say negligence...oftentimes you have people working in nursing homes who simply don't care...they simply see it as some job they do just to get by and as such pay no attention to the elderly they are caring for. It often results in poor treatment. Quite frankly I never want to end up in a nursing home and I don't want my parents in a nursing home either.

As for the state government bit...well, your nation is your business, but a central bureacracy overseeing everything is usually not the best idea...decentralizing at least some aspects are usually best. This way you avoid tying up the federal government with every little natural disaster or problem. Of course, it's a lot easier to divy up a governemnt when you only have seven states versus fifty...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »
And start worshipping yours?

Heh. No comment =P

At the moment, I would discourage federalism, seeing as how the Federal Government is run by the Liberals (Howard), while all the states are run by Labor. But c'mon, States are the most useless thing ever. They began as warring colonies; I can't believe they were given any constitutional rights. Well, hopefully most people agree with me, so if there was a referendum on the constitution (the only way to change anything in it), they would lose power.