Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112463 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #736 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:10 pm »
40 years in the making, but better late than never, it's the new Heinz ketchup packet!

http://www.seattlepi.com/food/415038_ketchup04.html

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 04, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »
Man builds a hidden castle in secret on his own property; court says he has to take it down.

From Britain, with love.

That's just plain sad. The man is 60, has built his dream home, and the only tiny leverage the court has against him is that he had bales of hay in front of the house, that he moved several years after the house was completed. He spent his own money on it, and now the taxpayers of Britain are funding the court's decision to take the building down.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 05, 2010, 01:56:13 am »
Too bad he didn't build an operational castle.

HEADLINE: Rogue Briton Continues to Thwart Her Majesty's Armed Forces in 39th Day of Castle Siege
Onslaughts repelled; casualties mount; York on fire somehow; tea time scaled back as war rations are announced

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 05, 2010, 10:22:25 am »
To be fair, errecting the hay bales in the first place served only to hide the castle until the statute of limitations ran out. He was intentionally circumventing the laws. But that being said, he didn't actually break any laws. The legal system there is just pouting that it was outsmarted by use of hay.

The man should have taken a hint from Edgar and Fargo.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

Poor man and his castle...

If it was anything like Paperboy 2 where the owner with the castle has working cannons to keep himself from getting a subscription, then maybe the reasoning behind the justice system would be different.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 06, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »
...like Paperboy 2 where the owner with the castle has working cannons to keep himself from getting a subscription...

<3

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »
This is just sick.

From the article::

In 2007, top model Natalia Vodianova said that when she weighed 115 pounds at 5' 9" clients called her management to complain about her size.

In 2008, model Coco Rocha said that when she weighed as little as 108 pounds at 5' 10", she was told, "You need to lose more weight," and that she even took diuretics. "The look this year is anorexic," Rocha recalled hearing. "We don't want you to be anorexic, we just want you to look it," they reasoned.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:20 pm »
What is so attractive about skeletons? I've never understood this attitude in the modeling industry; it's just...creepy and inhuman, let alone inhumane.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »
What is so attractive about skeletons? I've never understood this attitude in the modeling industry; it's just...creepy and inhuman, let alone inhumane.

Possibly equating feminine beauty with being frail, fragile, small and maybe even helpless.  Which is incredibly creepy.  Also, it looks boyish (as in...11 year old boyish), and the fashion industry loves the androgynous look.

This is something I've thought about a lot (why is impossibly thin seen as beautiful?), since I'm currently in recovery from anorexia nervosa.  Although to be fair, for me it was all about control, ownership of my body, punishment, and maybe subconsciously craving to look like I did before I was 9 years old, before I was ever abused.  It was never about being beautiful.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:24:55 pm by Sajainta »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »
My theory is that it is part of a larger set of neotenic preferences shared by many males and reinforced by society, the underlying purpose of which is to exacerbate the dominance of males over females in all measurable quantities, probably either by sentiments of insecurity or jealousy. Except for the emphasis on large breasts, everything that our society and many a male (and female) say is ideally attractive about females points not to the image of an adult female, but a juvenile one. Boyish thinness, no body hair, shortness relative to males, docility and submissiveness, physical fragility, no body scent...it all points to a desire to control females. I find it sick, a perversion of sexuality, which emphasizes youth, power, suppleness, and vigor.

idioticidioms

« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »
And yet you're probably still attracted to it. Kind of a mind%*&^, huh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »
I am not, in fact, attracted to a single one of the neotenic traits I mentioned, nor can all males be judged for the conspicuous improprieties of some. That would be as meaningless as judging all females based on the behavior of only some of them.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 13, 2010, 09:41:58 pm »
And yet you're probably still attracted to it. Kind of a mind%*&^, huh.

Was that directed at me?

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:02 pm »
i find skinny girls highly unatractive. you dont want to be squeezing bones when you give a girl a nice warm awesome hug. you dont want to have ribs digging into your sides. you dont want hip bones digging into your stomach when you do stuff with her. i admit, id prefer a girl with not that much hair on her. its prickly. but not like completely hairless. that just feels wrong. and being fragile would not be good. i dont want to be the one always in charge. that would be lame.
its sick to me, though, that anyone would find such skinny girls attractive. it used to be that larger women were considered beautiful. because back then you would have the money to eat all day and not have to work. you could be larger. now its like youre so rich you dont even need food!