Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112161 times)

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #1020 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:38 pm »
I don't know, man. I've wondered that for a while, but schools over here seem better.

Recently, I failed a pretty tough test. This test is required by a lot of schools in the area, and if you fail it, you have to take rudimentary math your first year of college. This course is not terribly interesting, is challenging, costs $600 or more, and doesn't earn you credits. However, a local program has brought said class into the high school level, in an attempt to help kids to pass this test.

So I took the course. It wasn't a cake walk, I assure you. But the teacher knew what they were talking about, and tried to get me more interested. He told us that this wasn't just about math. Math wasn't about 2+2=4. Math was about abstract, problem solving. 'What's the easiest way to solve this problem?' he'd ask us. If we had a problem (fractions really threw us off), we could ask him (or the teacher we borrowed the room from, who would give us a silly snarky answer that got the point across) and he'd explain it to us. Sometimes he'd take forever to do it, but he'd walk us through it step by step.

I went into that class with a score on elementary algebra of 40something out of 120. You need 83 to pass.

I came out with a 116.

Something obviously worked.

tiny260

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Fan Fiction Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:48 pm »
Good news: A cure for procrastination has finally been found and shared among Authors!

Bad news: Ah, I'll tell you later.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1022 on: May 27, 2011, 04:43:56 pm »
Good news: A cure for procrastination has finally been found and shared among Authors!

Bad news: Ah, I'll tell you later.
:?

.....*falls down*

For now, more bad news (at least for the American folks). We poor folks in India seem to have it easier than you guys... Some poor folks may not even have a phone and simply living off ration cards or boiled potatoes, but hey, at least they're able to survive like that. Kinda reminds me of the time I was a kid at Kolkatta, living with my gramps where we our lunch consisted of Chapatti and tea, couldn't afford vegetables. A handful of money was sufficient to survive, but we sure as hell weren't in debt.

Things like this kinda makes me glad for life now. Today I'm better off than being "too poor" like we did long back. Though I still can't afford a smartphone like a shitty Symbian or Android, though I still don't even have a game console (not even a PSX or NDS), though I'm not living a life of luxury, at least I'm still living today comfortably with what I have. At least I can afford nutritious food...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1023 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=89687&tsp=1

It's up to you to interpret whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I kinda agree with them. Of course, I... just don't think I deserve that $100,000 thing...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1024 on: June 19, 2011, 02:02:11 pm »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 22, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #1026 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »
WHAT. THE. FORK.

I read about that movement some years ago. They're not as radical as they sound xD  I can understand their reasoning, I don't agree to all they say, though  :P   Also I think they promote themselves and their ideas terribly : "Voluntary Human Extinction Movement", seriously? My first thought when I hear that name is that it's some sort of mass suicide cult or something, not a great first impression. And they try to keep themselves humorous, but many of the jokes are about making fun of people who want to have children, a little too offensive at times, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:52:51 pm by Licawolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1027 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:27 pm »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 04, 2011, 07:10:39 pm »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1029 on: July 10, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/10/india-rail-crash-uttar-pradesh

I don't know that the fuck is going on. This certainly isn't the first rail accident this year. And unfortunately, not the last.  :(

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »
Oh, that is terrible, just saw the pop-up news when I opened my mail box. :(

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1032 on: July 23, 2011, 05:51:22 am »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1033 on: July 27, 2011, 05:50:36 pm »
I was thinking of asking this at the Grand Request thread but thought this would be a better place.

I walked around outside because it was a nice day and I saw a stray puppy wagging its tail around. A little girl with a bag of chips (those manufactured wafer spheres, whatever they are I don't purchase) walked alongside with her mom and saw the pup, sneaked in closer and gently tossed it one. As the pup ate, she giggled and went along with her mom. The girl was somewhere 6 to 8 I reckon.

I pondered a lot on this topic and now I ask you follows this question: Was this act caused by nothing more than sheer curiosity and amusement? Or was it blissful and simple empathy towards lesser animals that caused her amusement? If the latter, does this mean that empathy develops (alongside the ability to lie) naturally with human beings? Or if the former, taking the Rabbit and Snake video into account (some of you know what I'm talking about) that sadistic abuse towards animals also is a form of human amusement, what would you make of this info?

And lastly, do you think we ought to nurture this empathy (while also educating children to realize what's dangerous and what's not)? Or, like almost every parent in this world, be practical and tell the kids to simply ignore them?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 28, 2011, 03:41:05 am »
Hmm, children may have an ability to imagine themselves as animals that adults lack (at least judging from my own childhood and adulthood). Nowadays I'd never imagine I was a velociraptor while eating chicken strips, or a koala while eating lettuce, for example, but I had those kinds of amusing thoughts way back when. How much anthropomorphic media are children exposed to in India, I wonder?

Anyway, if the girl projected her own taste for potato chips onto the dog, I'd venture to say there's an empathy hook there. Or at least something related to it. Now, that kind of projection isn't necessarily a good thing in and of itself -- just because potato chips are good for humans doesn't mean they're good for dogs. Err, maybe they're not really good for humans either, but I'll let that slide for now.  :lol: