Author Topic: New Years Resolutions Thread  (Read 1685 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: New Years Resolutions Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »
Last year I made 1 resolution and kept it. That was to read more books (2007 was a sad year in that regard). I think I did quite well in that regard.

For this coming year, a crapload:

1. Learn Latin
2. Maybe learn French
3. Maybe refresh my memory of and continue to develop my Spanish
4. Refresh my memory of and continue to develop my Ancient Greek
5. Refresh my memory of and continue to develop my Anglo-Saxon
6. Refresh my memory of and continue to develop my Modern German
7. Maybe take up Icelandic again...
8. Get into a Ph.D. program (I'll hopefully know around march).
9. Clean my apartment and keep it clean.
10. NOT obtain another pet (4 animals and two humans in a small, 1.5 bedroom apartment is a bit crowded as is).
11. NOT be so stressed out the macula detaches and I start seeing flashing lights in my field of vision. It is incredibly interesting, but... probably not a good thing.
12. Take my dog on more walks.
13. Teach my dog to differentiate between the "Woof" and "Bark" commands. 10ish Months into this so far and she still has problems.
14. Teach my cat... well... anything. Cats can be trained, I say!
15. And, of course, read even more books!

Pushing AEHU, a hidden fan project, through to completion by December 31, 2009.

Holy crap in a basket, that is ambitious. But, most of us would follow you to the moon without spacesuits if you asked us to, so quite possible.

Means I need to get off my butt and help more, though...

On the topic of learning Python, I've forgotten everything I know about the language itself, but you might find some resources on Civ4 forums (CivFantatics -- http://www.civfanatics.com/ -- had a wonderful modding community a few years ago that had good python resources, but I can't say if it is still that way). Just some random information.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 04:29:43 pm »
Hm, interesting, thanks Thought!

Well, I'm not trying to learn five languages simultaneously or anything. After thinking about it some more, AE:HU's post-production (like bugfixing and so forth) will probably take awhile. I'd like to have the majority of the work done by December 31 though. I think it's doable. Probably. Maybe.

Hope your eyes get better, man.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 04:34:50 pm »
My eyes are fine (the need for glasses aside) for now, but if I get stressed I could have more "events" per the above. Nothing like knowing your eyes are trying to go blind to help you relax ;)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:01 pm »
After thinking about it some more, AE:HU's post-production (like bugfixing and so forth) will probably take awhile. I'd like to have the majority of the work done by December 31 though. I think it's doable. Probably. Maybe.
At our current tempo, I believe we could easily get it done by then with a few tweaks with coordination. Most conditions are cleared -- concept artists and writers, scriptwriters, spriters and custom and collected music and graphics. The only thing we are short on are dedicated eventers and scripters(for any additional modifications we would need to make to the rom). If we clear the last two conditions, it will only be an issue of maintaining momentum. Put simply -- we can do this. :)

@Thought: is your condition a particularly serious or advanced state of the disease? At any rate, I hope your condition doesn't get much worse, and that you're able to eventually rectify the situation.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:46 pm »
You're learning Icelandic, Thought? Props to you, brave sir, I gave up as soon as I started. It's more difficult than Chinese, for goodness' sake.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 09:37:54 pm »
Only sort of. Ages ago I got a "Colloquial Icelandic" book/cd set. Seemed interesting but then I was learning... well, everything else so it got pushed out of the way. Still, seems very interesting, especially in observing the English/German cognats.

day/tag/dag are all the same word (and indeed, if you know how to look at it, they're all the same letters too) and that grabs my interest enough to make me want to slog through.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 12:20:49 am »
New Year's resolutions? Sounds fun.
Let's see, what first...
1- Learn Temporal Flux.
2- Learn Jeskola Buzz.
3- Draw something OTHER than schoolwork.
4- Paint something other than schoolwork.
5- Walk the dog!
6- Make Dean's List.
7- Make it through another year without graduating high school or paying for college. Getting a bit difficult to space out my classes..

Thought, how can you learn so many languages at once? I know one other person doing that, but it seems way too hard. Congrats, man.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »
Helps that I only need to learn to read and write them. Speaking that many languages would be horrible.

But actually, I find learning more than one language at once is useful. Concepts I learn in one language often apply to another, so instead of struggling through each individually, stuff I learn in one makes it easier to learn another.

Though there is a reason 3 of those resolutions have a "maybe" in front of them :)
I have to know Greek, Latin, and German. Anglo-Saxon would be useful. French, Spanish, and Icelandic too, but not as critical.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 02:24:10 pm »
Spanish and French are based of Latin, as you probably already know so learning those 3 at the same time would probably be beneficial as you mentioned.  I can't agree on the others though...that would probably hinder things a bit, considering that Icelandic is based off an ancient alien race.  Could be wrong though...