Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World  (Read 3408 times)

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:44 pm »
I just finished it the other day, but before I dive any further into that, has anyone else played/finished it? Or even the original ToS for that matter?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:15:34 pm »
I played - and loved - ToS, but I've heard 2 is... bad. What's your opinion?

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
Disappointing? Perhaps, depending on what you expected. Bad? No. I'll have to go into the usual Black Wind "Analysis Mode" for this.

First of all, what everyone should realize is that this wasn't originally intended to be a true sequel. It was a spin-off that eventually became somewhat of a sequel, and it's fan-service. While it continues where ToS left off, it didn't really need to because ToS's ending was satisfying. They're giving us more because we wanted more. At the same time, it doesn't feel forced because even in the original, whenever your group thought they had the solution to everyone's problems and the game seemed to be coming to an end, more things went wrong and the story continued. This is basically an extension of that.

Also, this game is much, much shorter than the original ToS. When I finished the original, I clocked in at roughly 60 hours. In this game, it was half that much. Not that there's 30 hours less of story, but since the world map was eliminated and the game is a lot more linear, it takes a lot less time to finish -- that's about 20 hours gone right there. So yes, the original did have more story.

While Lloyd and his crew are in the game, the main focus this time is on a boy named Emil and a girl named Marta. I'll warn you of one thing: Emil is going to annoy the shit out of you in the beginning. You are going to hate his guts because of how much of a fucking pussy he is, and want nothing more than to play as Lloyd again (even though he's apparently become the evil that he fought against in the original ToS). Then the bad-ass "Ratatosk Mode" Emil will show his face and you'll wish he was in that mode all the time. However, I can say with utmost honesty that by the end of the game, Emil becomes one of the most finely-crafted characters in video game history, and everything makes sense in the end. Not to mention he is voiced by Johnny Young Bosch, one of the most talented voice actors ever (Nero from DMC4, Guy from Tales of the Abyss, and he was even the second Mighty Morphin' Black Ranger!) His performance is certainly the best in the game, with Marta and Tenebrae not too far behind.

As for Lloyd and the rest of the original cast, everyone except Colette and Kra-- er, the "narrator" have had their voice actors dropped -- probably to save money. It really hurts listening to some of them sometimes, especially Lloyd, because his original voice actor (I forget his name, but he was Robin from Teen Titans) had so much charisma that it really brought the character to life. Zelos and Sheena also suffer from this, but the others are a lot more forgiveable. You'll get over it eventually. What I like about the game is that you got to see more of certain characters that didn't get a lot of spotlight in the original, such as Regal who really gets to shine as a character in this game, or Zelos who felt like a Kratos replacement. Unfortunately, Presea doesn't show up until towards the end and I really would've liked to see her come a long way since she broke free of Rodyle's control in ToS. Wasted potential there.

Soundtrack is pretty much the same as it was in ToS but remixed. There is an exclusion of a few awesome tracks and an inclusion of some new ones... Overall, the original was superior in this aspect.

Graphics are obviously aged due to the fact that we're in the midst of entering the high-definition era now, and this will turn off most gamers, especially reviewers. The gameplay is on the same engine as Tales of the Abyss -- in battle, at least. Since the camera is fixed when not in battle, that's still much like ToS.

I'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10, really. The original to me was a 9.5, which could have been a 10 if the Z-skits were voiced like they are in DotNW, which would have gotten an 8 if the cast had their original voice actors. Oh well.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
I have played and passed both. They are good to me. But I hope to play the PS2 version of ToS, but sadly is Japan only.

But to me ToS2 was just a way to patch things up for ToP, especially that 'The world no longer needs mana to live' part, since until that point, I never knew why in Phantasia mana was only for magic and summon spirits when in Symphonia it was the way the two worlds, and the unified one kept on living.

One thing I didn't liked was that the Symphonia characters didn't had the liberty Emil and Marta had when it comes to leveling up and equipment usage. The skits were better in my opinion, not to mention that by being voiced it turned to be much better.

And Black Wind, the japanese ToS had voiced skits. Why it wasn't like that in the American one I don't know. Less than 30 hours? Agreed, less than 28 for me. In fact, even having done that Balacruf side-quest and fight some bosses more than once, I passed the game without changing once the batteries.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:18:19 pm by Acacia Sgt »

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:28:39 am »
I've never actually played Tales of Phantasia from beginning to end, so I didn't know that. However, I was indeed aware that it took place long after Symphonia (at least 1,000 years or something).

And yeah, not being able to level up ToS characters was a pain in the ass. I guess Namco wanted to focus the emphasis on the monsters instead (which I didn't bother with). I have to say it was more convenient for everyone to have their ultimate weapons by the end of the game...except for Lloyd, who didn't have the Material Blade, but some demonic shit instead. What the shit?

And yeah, it's probably because the voice actors for the English version wanted more money due to them being talented, and why Namco chose to have them replaced. That's my guess, because they can't seriously believe that their replacements are actually better. I'm actually surprised Cam Clarke stuck around since he's actually a big name, then again I'm sure he's not a douchebag about the money issue at all.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:17:46 am »
It's more than 4,000 years, but bringing Phantasia to the discussion is not important or necesary. Trully, Symphonia may have helped answer some things of Phantasia, but I still don't get how they screw it up with the Vorpal Sword.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:25:49 am by Acacia Sgt »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:22 am »
Well, I've no doubt I'm trying out ToS2 once I've finished some other games I'm playing. Thanks for the feedback/review.

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:06:07 pm »
It's more than 4,000 years, but bringing Phantasia to the discussion is not important or necesary. Trully, Symphonia may have helped answer some things of Phantasia, but I still don't get how they screw it up with the Vorpal Sword.

The Vorpal Sword was the one that Dirk gave to Lloyd before the final battle, right? I thought it was fucking awesome how Lloyd was dual-wielding each of his father's strongest swords and that they'd merge into the Eternal Sword. So, what did they screw up exactly?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »

The Vorpal Sword was the one that Dirk gave to Lloyd before the final battle, right? I thought it was fucking awesome how Lloyd was dual-wielding each of his father's strongest swords and that they'd merge into the Eternal Sword. So, what did they screw up exactly?

In Phantasia, you learn of three ancient kingdoms: Thor, Odin, and Fenrir. Thor was north of Venezia, Fenrir in Friezkiel, and Odin in Olive.

Odin and Fenrir were at war, Odin used the Flamberge, and Fenrir the Vorpal Sword. Can't remember if it was in Alvanista, Midgards, or Morrison's House, but there was a book saying how four mysterious travelers stopped the war between the kingdoms.

In Symphonia, you learn Mithos and company stopped two kingdoms from fighting each other, and split the world in two to separate them.

Guess what: Friezkiel in Symphonia is the Flanoir area, and Olive is the Palmacosta/Asgard/Luin area. Flanoir in Tethe'alla, and Palmacosta/Asgard/Luin in Sylvarant. Add two plus two, and all makes sense:

Mithos, Kratos, Yuan, and Martel stopped the war between Odin and Fenrir, and split the world to separate them. The people of Fenrir became the Tethe'allans, and the people of Odin the Sylvaranti.

But wait, didn't Fenrir used the Vorpal Sword in the war? And here in Symphonia Dirk says it is: 'The greatest sword I ever forged'.

How does a sword used in a war was forged 4,000 years later?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:28:12 pm by Acacia Sgt »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »
But wait, didn't Fenrir used the Vorpal Sword in the war? And here in Symphonia Dirk says it is: 'The greatest sword I ever forged'.

Maybe he forged it from a part/shard he found?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:46:25 pm »

Maybe he forged it from a part/shard he found?

Impossible. If the Vorpal Sword is still intact somewhere underground of Flanoir, why would Dirk grab a piece of it, and then rebuild the sword from it?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:13:16 pm by Acacia Sgt »

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:34:28 pm »
Is it ever stated how long the lifespan of a dwarf is in Symphonia? The only possible explanation is that maybe Dirk is...a lot older than we thought he was, and forged it long ago and merely gave it to Lloyd as a gift? Yeah, I know that's reaching.

The next thing Namco should do is make a prequel based on the Ancient War, and the journey of the original four heroes. That would set everything straight.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »
I think so too, especially after Tenebrae saying he has met with them, I want to know more about it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:03:10 pm by Acacia Sgt »

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:17 pm »
Don't forget that the whole reason Ratatosk was so pissed off was because Mithos and his companions supposedly betrayed him. I'd like to know exactly what he meant by that.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
But I'm surprised that the summon spirits, other than Ratatosk, didn't appear. Celcius only got a cameo like twice, and the rest were just mentioned.

Too bad, I wanted to hear 'Battle of the spirit' in this game too.