Belthesar
10 (41.7%)
Gaspar
6 (25%)
Melchior
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: July 06, 2005, 05:59:59 am

Author Topic: The Gurus: Who was the strongest (in all aspects)?  (Read 6588 times)

X ATM038x

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
The Gurus: Who was the strongest (in all aspects)?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 11:30:38 am »
Well, that's what I thought after CT when I completed it for the first time and never heard of CC.. I'm not sure myself, but if there is going to be a Chrono Break/brake, what would it be about? Lavos or any of it's descendants would be logic.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 11:38:20 am »
For one, there's almost certainly not going to be a Chrono Break, as that title is no longer registered...Although it's not likely anytime soon, the closest name they have registered is the Japanese title Kurono Brake (perhaps they meant for it to be Chrono Brake in NA? who knows...).

For another, that's a whole new question...Does Lavos need to be the main or final villain in any Chrono game? I think Radical Dreamers broke that mold very nicely myself. If it does have to be about Lavos, or Lavoses/Lavoids, then there's the possibility of the Source. Where did the Lavos come from? Are there other planets that previous Lavoses/Lavoids tore asunder? There are different ways to go about it, but the Lavos of Chrono World is gone...

X ATM038x

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 11:57:22 am »
That's right. Break was ended, but Brake's still there. Break and brake have pretty different meanings, as break's a destruction, a stop, and brake is a stop to riding (living?) from which you can proceed again. Maybe it's got something to do with the brake of time, completing a trilogy of Chrono. It's very likely there will never be a third, but even if they do plan to do so sometime, maybe much years from now, it would most definitly be with Melchior as the "guide".

Also, it may seem a little farfetched, but it kind of suits his job as guru of life. If something could put a brake on time and everything would stop, thus kind of die, the guru of life should be able to lift the brake somehow... but that's just rough speculation leading to meaningless debates. Still that'd be nice, to think the three guru's could be having guideroles all in their own piece of timeline. Time, reason and life are kind of the things needed for the planet to exist. They counterpart eachother. Time needs reason to make evolution to life, life needs time to keep living, reason needs life to be made. Could be possible the three guru's are the entity, the planet.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2005, 02:18:35 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
For one, there's almost certainly not going to be a Chrono Break, as that title is no longer registered...Although it's not likely anytime soon, the closest name they have registered is the Japanese title Kurono Brake (perhaps they meant for it to be Chrono Brake in NA? who knows...).

I don't know the correct name of what's been registered in Japan but I doubt it's Kurono Brake. 'Kurono' is Romaji while 'Brake' isn't. The correct title of the trademark may be either Chrono Brake or something like Kurono Buraku (or Kurono Bureiku I don't know more about Japanese).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 02:59:49 am »
I just went w/what I've heard everyone call it Chrono'99...I dunno if it's for sure or anything...But I thought I was right...Oh well...I'm sure there are records for the actual name somewhere...

Quote from: X ATM038x
It's very likely there will never be a third (game in the Chrono series)

Chrono Cross is the third!

>_>
<_<
>_>

Give Radical Dreamers it's due already! It's a good game!

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2005, 11:54:21 am »
As far as the strongest is concerned, I'm not really sure.  I think a lot of people would immediately point to Belthasar, since he's the only one present in Cross, and his immense impact on the game.

I think Melchoir is up there, too, however.  I think a lot of his skills are highly underrated.

However, I think that Gaspar is the weakest, no question.  He doesn't do a whole lot for you (has some basic knowledge of how time works, it seems, which both Belthasar and Melchoir have anyway).  He's the Guru of Time, and Belthasar basically takes that title away from him in Cross anyway (as Prophet of Time).  So, its hard for me to tell b/w Melchoir and Belthasar, but I defintely think Gaspar is the weakest.

X ATM038x

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 10:49:16 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
I just went w/what I've heard everyone call it Chrono'99...I dunno if it's for sure or anything...But I thought I was right...Oh well...I'm sure there are records for the actual name somewhere...

Quote from: X ATM038x
It's very likely there will never be a third (game in the Chrono series)

Chrono Cross is the third!

>_>
<_<
>_>

Give Radical Dreamers it's due already! It's a good game!

Well, RD was kind of like something before CC right? CC is actually sort of the new RD, plus I'm talking about Chrono Brake as the third with the name Chrono. Ah well, I dunno a lot about RD anyway, so that's ok. But I still think that when there's gonna be a Brake, Melchior will be the lead guru out of the three. Kinda like Socrates, Plato and Aristoteles, I think the guru's kinda teached eachother, so Melchior would have even better abilities than Belthasar... But not sure they teached eachother anyway. Gaspar was pretty smart though, I think he's got something to do with Spekkio and the fact he knows loads about the journey ahead of Crono. He always gives advice and stuff, and tells you where there is help needed...

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 11:53:13 am »
I could tell you where to go if I was in the place where all time is junctioned and can be viewed. The only special help Gasper gave them is providing them with the Time Egg.

Speaking of which, if Belthasar had a Time Egg in CC, woulden't he have it in CT?

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 01:37:50 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
Speaking of which, if Belthasar had a Time Egg in CC, woulden't he have it in CT?

Theoretically, yeah.  Although he made not of known how to make one yet, or he could have given one to Gaspar and not had another with him, yadda yadda.  But yeah, the fact that Belthasar eventually got a Time Egg, makes Gaspar even less useful.  Wait, I think I might be using two terms interchangeably... the CT and TE do the same thing, right?  They focus a user's energy on a fixed point and teleport them there?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 01:43:45 pm »
I can't decide. They all have incredibly important roles in the series. I can't single one out and say he is the best one of the three, because all of their accomplishments are just huge.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 02:24:50 pm »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated

Theoretically, yeah.  Although he made not of known how to make one yet, or he could have given one to Gaspar and not had another with him, yadda yadda.  But yeah, the fact that Belthasar eventually got a Time Egg, makes Gaspar even less useful.  Wait, I think I might be using two terms interchangeably... the CT and TE do the same thing, right?  They focus a user's energy on a fixed point and teleport them there?

Belthasar never made a Time Egg. Lucca might have tried to make one but only Gaspar did make a complete one. The Time Egg that Belthasar gives to Serge is actually Gaspar's, the same one which was used to revive Crono (and that is also used in RD), the Lucca ghost states it at Opassa if you show her the item:
[Lucca]
   The Time Egg...
   The ancient sage, Gasper,
   once called it the Chrono
   Trigger
, you know!?
   Each of us allows our
   feelings to be a trigger...
   Letting them loose changes
   our world, time, and history!

It's sad, the only time Gaspar is mentioned in the whole game is with a typo in his name...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2005, 03:05:50 pm »
That quote doesn't really specify that the Time Egg/Chrono Trigger that you recieve is the same as the one that Gaspar gave Crono & Co...

Also, as far as I recall, it's Lucca who creates the Time Egg which makes things go whakky haywire for Chronopolis or w/e...

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2005, 03:27:12 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated

Belthasar never made a Time Egg. Lucca might have tried to make one but only Gaspar did make a complete one. The Time Egg that Belthasar gives to Serge is actually Gaspar's, the same one which was used to revive Crono (and that is also used in RD), the Lucca ghost states it at Opassa if you show her the item:
[Lucca]
   The Time Egg...
   The ancient sage, Gasper,
   once called it the Chrono
   Trigger
, you know!?
   Each of us allows our
   feelings to be a trigger...
   Letting them loose changes
   our world, time, and history!

It's sad, the only time Gaspar is mentioned in the whole game is with a typo in his name...

Hubba Whubba? How can they use the same Time Egg that they used for Crono? The damn thing shattered!

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
Chronopolis went wacky because of the Time Crash, which had nothing to do with the Time Egg. The Time Egg is the Chrono Trigger because, technically, it was never used. The dark future it was used in was destroyed.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2005, 03:31:33 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Chronopolis went wacky because of the Time Crash, which had nothing to do with the Time Egg. The Time Egg is the Chrono Trigger because, technically, it was never used. The dark future it was used in was destroyed.

Yes, but the powers of the egg aren't deleted with the time. Crono is still alive after they kill lavos.