Author Topic: Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith and Lime Wire  (Read 1334 times)

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith and Lime Wire
« on: July 27, 2005, 06:05:59 pm »
Could your computer be traced if you downloaded Revenge of the Sith using Lime Wire? 8)

Zizzlebop

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:07:57 pm »
Possible but highly unlikely.

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:28:58 pm »
what is lime wire?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:56:56 pm »
It's a p2p client that I use like a fiend.  

They probably can trace you, but nothing's happened to me so far; let's face it, everyone uses p2p.  I plan to buy the ROTS DVD anyway, so there's no point.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 10:56:20 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
It's a p2p client that I use like a fiend.  

They probably can trace you, but nothing's happened to me so far; let's face it, everyone uses p2p.  I plan to buy the ROTS DVD anyway, so there's no point.

Everyone? I don't, and never have. I'd be too worried about possibly getting viruses on my father's computer.

Josh1billion

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lunarzone.net
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 02:49:05 am »
It's not very easy to get a virus on a P2P network as long as you have some common sense and a decent understanding of how computers (well, Windows especially, assuming that's what you're using) work.

Basically it's this: don't download applications (anything ending with a .exe extension)

and the rest of most files are usually obvious if they're viruses.  In other words, don't download something called "britney spears pokemon xxx linkin park avril lavigne.gif".  One time a friend had a filename kinda similar (well, the first half or so of what I just said was pretty accurate) and it caused his computer to freeze or something whenever he opened it.

EDIT: To answer the original question, like Zizzlepop said, it's possible but highly unlikely.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on sharing the file (which, even then, isn't a HUGE threat unless you have a ton of files being shared illegally 24/7).

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 02:52:52 am »
Getting a bit of subject (its related though). Could u get traced for downloading an emulator and/or ROM and/or ISO?

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 03:19:15 am »
Quote from: Lordchander
Getting a bit of subject (its related though). Could u get traced for downloading an emulator and/or ROM and/or ISO?

yeah you can get traced but the police or whatever only worry about shutting down sites not chasing individual people

and with p2p its hard to trace, and as long as you know what your doing you wont pick up viruses.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 03:21:05 am »

Look, I'm sure the NSA can trace all of this, but really, they have bigger things to worry about than a bunch of people downloading things like this.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 03:28:20 am »
ya i suppose. Like, i have nothing to worry about, ive had all my emulators for like a year or 2 now, and i hardly ever download ROMS anymore.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 04:45:49 pm »
Ah, 'tis not the might of the industry lobbies so strong but rather fear of the pirates such as this before us t'day t'will push online piracy out of the mainstream and in-to the demesne of naught but the bold!

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 05:22:21 pm »
ya i suppose. Like, i have nothing to worry about, ive had all my emulators for like a year or 2 now, and i hardly ever download ROMS anymore.

Simpley put, they can but I won't.

Even more simpley put.

FIND A P2P PROGRAM AND DOWNLOAD CHRONO CROSS!

Then, you'll be a full pledged Chrono Series fan! :D

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 11:48:48 pm »
cant wait, suggest any good ones? PM me if u dont want to write it here. Links too plz.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 04:55:39 am »
cant wait, suggest any good ones? PM me if u dont want to write it here. Links too plz.

How 'bout E-Donkey? Oh, and I used E-Mule, searched Chrono Cross CD-Images, and downloaded both discs. And it works fine for me! ^_^

Just make sure you extract the content of the ISO before burning it if you plan on playing it on your PS. I can recommend ISO-Buster, it's a pretty simple program.

Josh1billion

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lunarzone.net
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 07:30:42 pm »
Speaking of downloading games, I prefer torrents.  You need a client such as Azereus and then just search at a site such as Torrent Reactor.