Author Topic: Nintendo Power Poll (/VOTE FOR CHRONO QUICKLY!!!)  (Read 4110 times)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
Re: VOTE FOR CHRONO QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:20:24 pm »
He might mean Crono and the gang.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:46 pm »
He might mean Crono and the gang.

Yea, I thought he might have meant that too. Oh well, we shall see when he replies.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 03:42:57 pm »
nope; glennleo was right the first time at bat.

i think the main problem creating a new chrono game has been the reunification of the "dream team".  this team was the best of the best, and that's why chrono trigger is so friggin' amazing.

the team consisted of hironobu sakaguchi and kazuhiko aoki (of final fantasy fame), yuuji horii (from dragon quest fame), and masato kato.  plus you had the character artist (and a unique one, at that), akira toriyama.  and you had some of the best vg composers known to man: nobuo uematsu and yasunori mitsuda.

all of them were vital components of the creation of chrono trigger, and it was so hard for them to gather even PART of that team to work on chrono cross.  thus, it's not hard to see why another chrono sequel hasn't happened yet: everyone's schedule's haven't come to terms yet.

besides, with so many names involved, there are probably some major legal issues involved, and we all know that legal issues can be devastating...

so i think that that's 90% of the problem.

i mean, they already at least have some IDEA'S where to take the series (hironobu sakaguchi said in an interview that the team of chrono cross - especially masato kato - wanted to create a new chrono game, and that script and story ideas were currently being thrown around).

now all we can do is hope and pray...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 04:16:11 pm »
Cause they are the DREAM TEAM.

It's like how do I put it, having the Super Friends without Superman and Batman etc...
Once you've tasted what they can come up with, you want nothing less.

There is always more than one dream.

But that is a really bad analogy. I wouldn't want the Super Friends with or without Batman and Superman. :)

Saying that the Dream Team has to get together again to make a new Chrono game is like saying that you need Tim Burton, Michael Keaton, and Jack Nicolson to make a good Batman movie, or that you need Jim Shooter, Bob Budiansky, Shōhei Kohara, and Floro Dery to make a good Transformers movie.

As long as the team is just as talented (or more so), a new team could produce a game as good as or better than Chrono Trigger.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »
thought, as much as i agree with you, the main guru's behind chrono trigger disagree...

"...it's very difficult to be able to reunite the original team, to be able to make a sequel to the Chrono series...because if we don't try to reunite these people but take other people instead, we will find ourselves at that point with a game which will feel different, since there would be different persons in charge, and we would possibly lose the Chrono spirit.”

— Hiromichi Tanaka

plus you have to remember what composer yasunori mitsuda remarked in an interview in january.  he said, "there are a lot of politics involved" in creating a new game, and he stressed that Masato Kato should participate in development should a new entry in the series materialize
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:26:09 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 04:26:23 pm »
Its important to remember that Tanaka is talking about people like Masato Kato, Yasuyuki Honne, and Yasunori Mitsuda, among the other people who worked on Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. The Trigger Dream Team isn't in the picture.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 04:28:15 pm »
okay, true, good point.

POINT BEING:  there are politics involved and the major players involved are sort of spread out (monolith, final fantasy XI, etc.)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 04:56:46 pm »
All the more reason to scrap them entirely (thus why I should never go into politics).

The copyrights and trademarks for CT, RD, and CC are all owned by Square, unless I am mistaken. Thus the only political concerns they'd need to take is to not horribly offend Masato, Mitsuda, etc. (Square would, after all, still like them to make games in the future).

As long as the new team is properly dedicated, I am fairly confident that such a team could create a compelling addition to the series (much in the same way that Batman Begins, Transformers Beast Wars, Enterprise, and other such instances were able to stay true to the underlying themes of their respective series despite being developed by other individuals).

EDIT: I guess my point is essentially; for every Herodotus, there is a Thucydides. For every Thomas Hobbes, there is a John Locke. Every Thomas Jefferson, an Andrew Jackson. And so on, and so forth. Great things need not end with those who started them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:04:00 pm by Thought »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
Batman needs NO ONE!!! I think he just gets lonely or realizes that his psyche needs companionship or else he really will go insane...so he surrounds himself w/people...even if said people are the annoying alien. :P

Plus, it wasn't really the whole Dream Team after Trigger, really...just the important bits...

It's not Chrono w/o Kato & Mitsuda, I think we can all agree on that much at least.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 05:30:24 pm »
Which annoying alien is this?

But I'd say it could well be Chrono without Kato (Mitsuda would be a bit more of a stretch, but I'd argue it could still be done).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »
The one Batman sometimes refers to as The Alien, of course (much like Lex).

How is the music more important than the PLOT???

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 06:30:19 pm »
Ok, ok. My analogy sucked balls I get it lol.

I do agree that it is possible to create a great Chrono game without the Dream Team, but at least I know we'd get a great game from them.  Anyone else and it would be up in the air per-se.

Plus there would constant comparisons of the Old vs. the New so-called Dream Teams of respective games. But I guess they were never the Dream Team until the completed the game, so who is to say a new even better Dream Team couldn't exist.

Man all this Dream Team talk wants me to post a pic of the once awesome Olympic basketball team we had.
OK I will. (Somebody needs to shop this with Chrono Trigger and Cross team members  :lol:)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 07:00:10 pm »
Ah, the good ol' days when USA won Olympic basketball no contest...>_>

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »
But I'd say it could well be Chrono without Kato (Mitsuda would be a bit more of a stretch, but I'd argue it could still be done).

Something about this statement seems against the law.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 11:08:38 am »
How is the music more important than the PLOT???

Could it have been the Epic Battle Against Magus without Magus' theme? And Lavos, what would he have been without his scream and the apocalypse music? Just a giant procupine. Music is subtle, but it sets the mood in ways that plot alone couldn't do otherwise.

And besides, a very important part of a good plot are compelling characters. Kato allowed things like Korcha, Funguy, and Macha into Chrono Cross. Macha! He may be good, but he isn't infallable.

Something about this statement seems against the law.

I hope not, I'd hate for the Thought Police to be coming around ;)

sorry, that was a really bad pun.