Author Topic: Prerelease and unfinished character  (Read 13670 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Prerelease and unfinished character
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:46:17 pm »
I don't know if you all knew about this or not, but I recently found an old screen capture I took from a tile editor, while I was going through finding and decompressing the graphics from the rom. In the decompressed map characters file,  below all the other characters, is an unfinished soldier or something.
Pretty interesting.

If you want to view it, use lunar decompress and decompress hex offset 5A732.

I wonder if this was an unfinished character, or maybe a map resident, like on Wild Arms, where some townsfolk could walk the world map...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 11:50:41 pm »
I've been trying to make it out; doesn't it look like a modern day soldier, or something like that? Considering the helmet? Perhaps a 1999 A.D. soldier?

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:00:34 am »
Im tempted to paste it over Crono's map sprite and cycle through a couple palettes to get a better view of it.
In fact, I think I'll do that.

Now that I look at it again, Crono's overworld waiting animation is different...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 12:04:24 am »
OMG

I just found a secret dungeon in Zeal! All the Zeal maps in general have been trippy; I just exited the combined Mammon Machine/Throne Room and found myself in a dungeon! It's poorly mapped, though.

In fact, Chickenlump, I just finished all the Zeal offsets and now am in the Arris Dome. It strikes me as odd that none of the codes took me to that dungeon that could only be accessed by a weird exist in the throne room. Are there even more ways of loading places? We can input codes, then load the game, or load the game and then input them at the title screen.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 12:49:52 am »
When Acmlm puts the old back-up online for archival purposes, I'll look for the prerelease thread and see if there's more ways to load rooms. It's not online yet, but theyre working on it. Acmlm's new boards are finally up and running though.

http://board.acmlm.org

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 09:46:26 pm »
Speaking of pre-release >_>
Open it up in any hex editor, and go to offset 3AC305.
It should read as 92.
It modifies the Gato event in the millenial fair, more specifically, what monster loads into the room. So, editing that byte, will change what monster from the beta version of Chrono Trigger loads into the room for you to fight.
Woo!

I took a quick run through with it, and found a few interesting things..

Most interesting (that I found, who knows what you all may find.. :) )
seems to be a different look for Zeal.

and it seems that this is a place holder graphic (or something) for monsters not done yet. Though many monsters have this image, they all have their own names, attacks, etc.  Apparently just their graphics werent finalized.

I also noticed alot of different palette swaps that werent in the original, and some of the animations, attacks, and stuff are definately NOT finished, so there might be some cool stuff (I didn't have time to fight a long fight with all 255 monsters..)

And...if you wish to play around with the event code some, all the bytes around the above offset are for the Gato event, lots of neat stuff you can do with it.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 10:50:43 pm »
Hm, you know, that enemy might not be Queen Zeal... the pre-release didn't have a Black Omen, after all.. It may have just been some sort of mask enemy (similiar to the ones in Guardia Castle, perhaps...)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 12:47:32 am »
That's true. I went poking around in the real thing yesterday, and found that Singing Mountain was entirely replaced by the Black Omen.

Anyway, if you'd like, I can compile a list of the monsters that pop up. The observable ones, at least.

Spekkio

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Master of War
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 03:13:11 am »
I know I shouldn't be reviving this topic, but I managed to hack a Gato Mod for the prerelease!

7f21e3??

It only works SOME of the time though. If you keep going in and out the monster you want to see will eventually show up.

I was wondering if anyone knows the Gato event byte in the release so that I might hack a Gato Mod for it and catalogue the unused enemies.