Author Topic: Good News Bad News  (Read 20005 times)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: Good News Bad News
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:26 pm »
Yeah I liked how it affected everyone in a way.

KitsuneSefam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2009, 11:35:19 pm »
It could if it had enough violence and language, or sex. I haven't seen an M 2D game yet, but I think T would be fine.

btw: KitsuneSefam, what is with the double post?

I dunno what happened there, I clicked Post then it said 2 people posted before then I had to click post again and it double posted with a quote.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:12 am »
Yea the shocking occurrence was really important.  I remember we had a pretty large thread in the forum about what would our shocking occurrence would be.  I think I eventually had the idea of the new world but it (like pretty much all of Crimson Echoes) was slowly morphed to the final form by ideas coming from multiple people.

--JP

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:37 am »
I didn't know there were two versions of Square.     (Yes I got late in the Squaresoft games)     So which version forced this site to stop production?   

USA or Japan?  Who's the big fart here?

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:53 am »
It's the US legal team, I think. I don't even know if the Japanese part of Square knows about CE at all.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:41 am »
When I talked to the lawyer he told me something along the lines of "they were working with Japan" on it. Honestly......maybe it was a lie he said it in the context of why it was taking so long to get things done.

--JP

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2009, 03:07:24 am »
It was a lie.

American Square Lawyer: Hey... hey! *runs into the Tokyo office* These pimply-faced kids in America are doing an unauthorized ROM hack of Chrono Trigger!
Receptionist: Mr. Sakimoto is extremely busy.
American Square Lawyer: Aren't you going to DO something about it?
Receptionist: *sighs* Mr. Sakimoto, this man from American legal wants to see you.
Sakimoto: *playing putt-putt in his office* What about?
American Square Lawyer: Mr. Sakimoto, the e-mail we got from a... Dark Serge or something or other says they're going to sell it for profit!
Sakimoto: Speaking of profit, check out these early builds of Final Fantasy XIV! We're going to charge 30 US dollars a month for it, we'll get five million subscribers in Japan alone!
American Square Lawyer: Sir, this is VERY serious.
Sakimoto: Seriously awesome! Come on, play with me. You can be a sexy Viera or a cute Moogle or-
American Square Lawyer: *sighs* I'll just send out a C+D letter... *sulks off*

Claxo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2009, 03:10:13 am »
So anyhow, I signed up on the Compendium a few months ago to play in the RP forums here. I love the Chrono games and love to roleplay so the two seemed a good idea. The rp died down a bit and I had to take a good month off from the internetz. I had read about CE and figured I'd check it out once it was all said and done. Imagine my surprise to return after a month away and find that SE pulled the old C&D routine to squash CE.

So after pouring through the multitude of posts to play catch-up on the situation, I'm to understand that you've at least consulted with some lawyer types as to what might have happened had you not followed the C&D? That's about the only thing that would bother me is if you didn't at least do that.

As for the vids of the gameplay, I've watched all that have been posted so far and I've got to say that I cannot wait to see the rest. Even at only 98% complete, what you all did, with the resources you had, the gameplay looked phenominal and the story is some of the best writing I've seen in some time. If you guys decided to make your own game that wasn't a fanfic subject to possible C&D, it would be one I'd definitely look forward to playing. Five years is a lot of time to spend just to see it all end the way it did. However, that is five years of experience you all now have that would be great to see applied to something even more fantastic.

I don't think SE has the brains to comprehend how profitable a new Chrono game would be for them. But I guess when you have players willing to play til near death for a franchise that, quite frankly, has lost most of its interest, you gotta go in that direction. *shrug*

Anyhow, that's enough rambling from me. Looking forward to more CE vids!

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:05 am »
It was a lie.

American Square Lawyer: Hey... hey! *runs into the Tokyo office* These pimply-faced kids in America are doing an unauthorized ROM hack of Chrono Trigger!
Receptionist: Mr. Sakimoto is extremely busy.
American Square Lawyer: Aren't you going to DO something about it?
Receptionist: *sighs* Mr. Sakimoto, this man from American legal wants to see you.
Sakimoto: *playing putt-putt in his office* What about?
American Square Lawyer: Mr. Sakimoto, the e-mail we got from a... Dark Serge or something or other says they're going to sell it for profit!
Sakimoto: Speaking of profit, check out these early builds of Final Fantasy XIV! We're going to charge 30 US dollars a month for it, we'll get five million subscribers in Japan alone!
American Square Lawyer: Sir, this is VERY serious.
Sakimoto: Seriously awesome! Come on, play with me. You can be a sexy Viera or a cute Moogle or-
American Square Lawyer: *sighs* I'll just send out a C+D letter... *sulks off*

Lol, that is funny.But it is more appropriate to put that on Chrono Comix or something. We have seen so much  uninteresting post to be discussed with. We currently doesn't have any proof to refute or confute the statement from lawyer himself. We should check another source. An official statement from SE Japan perhaps ? Any news on regard of this?

Geowil

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
really, I am surprised that they expected to sell millions of games. I mean its only on the DS.  If they had released it on a major console, (wii, 360, ps3) i could see why they would expect that, but 880,000 on the DS proves, to me anyway, that there will be tons of cake to roll in if they ever made a sequel to CT and put it on a or all of the major consoles.

anyway, on an other note, keep those vids coming FW, you only have what, 50 more to go (as of #30)? lol

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
Sales are pretty damn close to the sales of the original game in the US if I'm not mistaken. Japan was the one who bought over 2 million copies of the original, not us. So I can't really see why he would expect higher from us lol.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:27 pm »
I though CT and CC sold more in their original releases in America than in Japan.

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Says Japan had 2 million out of 2.7 million. Then again you can never trust wiki 100%. lol

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »
That includes all remakes. Japan got CT four times now.

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2009, 04:59:48 pm »
Gotcha. lol