Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 335453 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #1485 on: September 10, 2009, 02:43:40 pm »
I just started yet another run-thru of The Wire, without a doubt the greatest television show EVAR!

I can't get over how wonderfully written, acted, and shot it is.  Minimal soundtrack "amplifying" (in fact other than scenes when someone listening to the radio in a car and the intro/finale of each episode, I can count on one hand how many times there is a soundtrack in the show) and stunning realism (I've been lost in Pimlico before, less than fun) with an enormus cast of wonderful characters.

From the very first scene of the series...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIvu1yg3bU

Det. McNulty:  Well if Snot Boogie always stole the money, then why'd you let him play?

Young Man:  Got to man, this is America.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1486 on: September 10, 2009, 05:27:15 pm »
I feel proud cuz the collection I'd been working on since June 1 finally went up online. I did it allll by myself(well the archivist assistant did help out with some things about the EAD format), and it was tough to learn EAD without any prior knowledge except html. You can check it out here, though I'm sure it will bore you.

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt3n39r81z/ . You can look at all the records in HTML format or PDF format on the right. It's not perfect, but I'm still working on updating it. I decided to stay with this job longer cuz it was most beneficial to me out of all my volunteer positions  I'm doing right now.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 10, 2009, 06:54:05 pm »
100 pages of stuff to love whilst there are 200 pages of frustration.

Interesting =D

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »

Interesting =D

It really is... But, we all tend to hate more stuff than we like...

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #1489 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:55 pm »

Interesting =D

Everyone always points that out. I think it's because it's a lot easier to whine about things than it is to be happy about something and want to share it with people XD;. Don't ask why, because that's some sociological/psychological thing I know little if anything about.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 10, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »

Interesting =D

Everyone always points that out. I think it's because it's a lot easier to whine about things than it is to be happy about something and want to share it with people XD;. Don't ask why, because that's some sociological/psychological thing I know little if anything about.

I actually grew up (and still am) with parents and grandparents who whine about basically everything. Its almost now like basic instinct to me, to complain about things. Well that and the fact that what I like to do are usual piss-taking points, and therefore not something I would want to say I liked too much (I really hate the piss taking; I have terrible anger problems and have been excluded from school because of them.)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1491 on: September 10, 2009, 07:42:46 pm »
I think it's because expressing frustration can sometimes help you (as well as others in similar situations, perhaps as far even as letting others know they're not alone, depending on the frustration), while talking about things you love is more just sharing your opinions...maybe? *shrugs*

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 10, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »
I think it's because expressing frustration can sometimes help you (as well as others in similar situations, perhaps as far even as letting others know they're not alone, depending on the frustration), while talking about things you love is more just sharing your opinions...maybe? *shrugs*

Well, it's hard to discuss things you love when no-one wants to listen to you... But yeah, expressing frustration actually does help a lot. It's what I do when i'm frustrated. And it does actually play a part in calming you down.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 10, 2009, 10:11:43 pm »

Interesting =D

It really is... But, we all tend to hate more stuff than we like...

Nah. When I love something I'm like "Mine."

When I hate something I'm like "Hey look at that shit!"

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 10, 2009, 10:31:28 pm »
I love getting new ideas for my RPG. =D

=D im so HAAAPPPAAY!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 10, 2009, 11:59:07 pm »
I love eclipses, and astrophysics, and orbital mechanics. Suppose you're a rocket in orbit of the Earth. You can apply forward thrust (along the direction of your orbit), reverse thrust, upward thrust, and downward thrust. What thrust or combination of thrusts would you use to change the phase of your orbit? It's a fascinating introductory exercise to the concept! And did you know that we have solar eclipses every night here on Earth? They're simply not called that, because we have another word for them: "nighttime." When it's your own celestial body that's eclipsing the sun, it's called night. At least in a star system with only one star!

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 11, 2009, 01:02:17 am »
solar eclipses involving the moon between the earth and sun are my fav tho =D

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 11, 2009, 01:04:43 am »
Oh, also....  

I am working on organizing my major story points into one (massive) outline.  Its already over 2 pages long of an outline, and its not even halfway through the major points in the (projected) game.

And I'm 100% sure I will add more to the beginning too =D.

Edit: I have written a whole 4 pages in a summary of the FIRST part of the story.  (i changed it from an outline so that its in more of a storyline format)
I plan on having about three parts to the story.

If anyone of you read my topic long ago that had the "first chapter" of a story in it, that was summarized in about 1 sentance in the outline, as a comparison.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:06:06 am by IAmSerge »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 11, 2009, 07:18:37 am »
I'm feeling pretty worn down, but, like the children's book says, it could be worse. There are many people right now who have it a lot worse than I do. That makes my own problems more manageable. Ergo, I love perspective.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 11, 2009, 08:52:41 pm »
I love the Chrono Cross soundtrack! It's probably the most underappreciated soundtrack I've ever heard. It's peace and melancholy come alive. It would have been very easy to turn this kind of soundtrack "dark." Instead, Mitsuda made it serene. I really can't gush enough about how much I love this music.