yes
11 (57.9%)
no
3 (15.8%)
I have to read the demo first
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 26, 2003, 02:47:04 am

Author Topic: chrono trigger novel  (Read 2062 times)

SILVERWOLF_87

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:31:53 am »
i finished the demo a while ago and it's very, very, very, well done. the battles are NOT like "chrono cast lumiare causing 999999999999 damage to the beetle". they resemble the fight scenes from books like redwall and LOTR. very nicely done. tell your friends and family to support the novel please! even putting the link in your signature would be great!  :D

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 06:25:16 am »
I've seen this scattered throughout every Chrono Forum I've ever graced (which is quite a few, although never in OCR). I'm also one of the only people who choses NOT to condone it at all.

1. I don't like most Fanfiction at all, almost enough to make it a rule.

2. It's not sponsered or condoned by Square-Enix, and they have absolutely NOTHING to do with it (outside of the obvioius links to their game).

3. This "Mysterious First Chapter" he talks about, if it IS what he says, should ONLY be created by the original creators, or at least the company that created it/liscenced the creators.

4. Being an artist and a writer (two-bit as I may be), I don't like the idea of ANYONE taking ANYONE elses creations and messing with it in ANY WAY, no matter how it's pulled off or how well it's done.

I just don't think it's right is all.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
No Novel!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 01:31:46 pm »
The problem with retelling an existing story is that the better you like the original, the more likely you are to be disappointed with the retelling. I didn’t vote in the poll, but my would-be choice is that I would probably not buy a Chrono Trigger novel. Now, don’t get me wrong. If a retelling interprets the original with ideas similar to your own, then you may well like it just as much or even more so than the original. But most people won’t feel that way. Any novelization of Chrono Trigger that takes noticeable artistic license will put off more people than it attracts. A completely literal retelling would be less controversial, but most writers—and especially amateurs—simply do not have the skill to treat anything objectively, let alone a story they liked so much as to novelize. And this is to say nothing of the skill required to write any sort of retelling at all, which I suspect would also be beyond most people.

To be fair, I looked at the website and read the excerpts. Unfortunately they are too short for a definite assessment, but after a close reading I can say that I believe this author is beneath the skill level required for a proper retelling of Chrono Trigger. That’s the cold truth of it. A story as excellent as this cannot be entrusted to simply anyone. In the distant past I read an online novelization of Chrono Trigger that was exhaustively complete, and went above and beyond the viewpoints of the seven main heroes. It proved an enjoyable (and long) read, but I couldn’t find it either in my own Internet records or through Google, and, in any case, it was not so good that I would have paid to read it.

Finally, I should add that the odds of this fellow being sanctioned to publish a Chrono Trigger novel are extremely slim. Most novices seem to think that getting a book published is easy. It is not; commercial publication is like an exclusive sports club, and self-publication is expensive and narrow in reach. Even worse, is to try to get permission to novelize an existing, copyrighted story, especially when the copyright is held by an enormous video game company. His efforts, I believe, are next of kin to impossibility.

Having said all of that, I must add that I do condone fan fiction, and I read it from time to time. Most of it, as has been said, is poor quality fare. Some of it is nice. But professional attempts are in another arena altogether. For a writer of this man’s talent level to try and establish a definitive Chrono Trigger novel is Icarian folly. Once such a novel is established, it is, as I said, the Chrono Trigger novel. If such a thing ever happens, it must be executed with the utmost excellence...and this is not that.

~ Josh

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 01:33:48 pm »
Personally, I think re-creating Chrono Trigger as an entirely written story is a great idea. However, I disagree with trying to turn it into a "novel," especially one they hope to be endorsed by Square, and then trying to sell it to people. Regardless of how endorsed this is, unless it's written by Square employees who worked on the story for Chrono Trigger in the first place, it's still fanfiction. Fanfiction should remain just that. Not sell out and get published worldwide or anything. At the most, its only transition from the internet should be to a fanzine, and something so grand as this should remain free.

I'm also speaking from experience as I continue work on my own rendition of the story, "Into the Dream." I've still got a ways to go, but I'm not trying to make any sort of official or unofficial novel: this is the story as I see it, with additional details that try to make it much more personal and allow you to get involved with the characters even more. Er, </plug>, I guess.

Phoenix Rebirth

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:09:17 am »
Where is this "Demo" that you speak of?  ...man i need to make my replies longer ~_~

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 05:36:54 pm »
V_Translanka
[1. I don't like most Fanfiction at all, almost enough to make it a rule.]
 No offense, but didn't you you yourself write a fanfic?
If you are offended by my question, than I'm really sorry.[/quote]

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 03:12:07 am »
Nope, I only take offense to the horrid and absurd way you quoted me :lol:

Here's how the tag works

[*quote="someone"]the stuff they said[/quote]  :wink:

And yes, some time after I wrote that, I began to write my own fanfic (obviously, it's obnoxiously in my sig, right?)...But note that I say 'most', mainly because most fanfics I've seen suck monkey balls and completely obliterate the characters and rules set by the original creators, which I feel is inherently wrong...

My major complaint about the 'novelization' project is that it's not an extension based on fan ideas...It's just them re-writing it, writing what's seen in the game...I don't think you can do that properly and still say you didn't change anything...Without it stinking anyways...Creative liberties would be apparent...I also don't like how so many try to spin it off as something more than what it is: a fanfic.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:25:17 pm »
You're absolutely right! :D   We should set up rules like that so people can't submit crappy fanfics before the higher authorities look through them!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 03:32:28 am »
Well, that's basically what the section for "Selected" fanfics is for, right? Or wait...were you being sarcastic?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:52:59 pm »
As my signature implies I frequent the site. I don't know if any of you guys have visited the forums but from what some of you posted about the thoughs of the project I wanna assume no. I would just like to claer up some things.

-About the secret first chapter, Wayne (main writer) has kept this under very tight wraps, I don't think anyone besides himself and the members of the editorial commitie know what the details are behind it.

-Yes there is an editorial commitie, it isn't just one guy doing all the writing and all that. I'm not saying this makes it anymore professional, but it allows the thoughts and ideas of others to make sure everything is right.

-Anyone who said that this isn't a fanfiction project has no real ties to the actual process. Wayne understands that unless SquareEnix accepts this as a novelized version of the game all it can be considered is a really freaking long fanfic.

-Wayne is going to stay to the storyline completely. Nothing that happens in the game will be changed, all quotes and lines will be kept in its entirety(sp?). All he is trying to do is transfer the story from a video game media to paper. So only things that are visually explained in the game will be up for debate.

-There is a full and complete understanding of how great the odds are against the novel being published. No one is thinking that once it is finished that SE will instantly throw it on the shelves. Most likely what will happen if SE even considers publishing it would be that the entire story would be run by Kato and the other writers, and mostl likely would be re-edited by them.

-The reason behind all this is simple. The story of Chrono Trigger is too good to be kept only in the brains of gamers like ourselves. Wayne just wants people that would never normally play a video game to become engulfed in the storyline of the game. That is why he wants it novelized, not for his own fame and fortune, or to take his own spin on the games events. Just to allow anyone that can read to enjoy the story, thats all.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 05:50:27 pm »
Well, if that's the case then I stand by my earlier claim...Even if you don't change what's said, then you're left with, as you said, visual explanations. But, that's also leaving out inner emotions, which are a major factor in a novel about such lovely, lively characters. Either it's changed and probably crap or it's plain, boring and not worth novelizing.

Kato or BUST

Andrelvis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 09:12:57 pm »
I would love to see a CT novel... Though, even more than only a retelling, we should also have novel-only stories... Pretty much like Blizzard's novels for the Blizzard Universes(Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft)...

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 01:45:52 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Well, if that's the case then I stand by my earlier claim...Even if you don't change what's said, then you're left with, as you said, visual explanations. But, that's also leaving out inner emotions, which are a major factor in a novel about such lovely, lively characters. Either it's changed and probably crap or it's plain, boring and not worth novelizing.

Kato or BUST

I understand what you are saying, and I would defintely wany Kato to have influence over the novel. But to think that Kato would write the novel would be rediculous, I am sure that he has barely anytime for himself with just making games. Let alone adding a novel to write. Even if all it does is spark SE to make the novel, with nothing from what was written in Wayne's version, it has suceded in its mission.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 06:50:44 pm »
Oh yeah, I know having Kato write a novel of it would be rediculous. Why write something he's already written? BUT...I had another option, y'know?

Kato or BUST

Plus, how could this novel possibly have everything in it without being stale as hell? What about all the NPCs and the variations? What about the Magus choice? The various shops? Getting new weapons? It's absurd...

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
chrono trigger novel
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 12:04:40 pm »
Oh yeah, I know having Kato write a novel of it would be rediculous. Why write something he's already written? BUT...I had another option, y'know?

Kato or BUST

Plus, how could this novel possibly have everything in it without being stale as hell? What about all the NPCs and the variations? What about the Magus choice? The various shops? Getting new weapons? It's absurd...

Heh, sounds like a slogan for Chrono Break. :)

Obviously most of the gameplay mechanics will be removed for the implied purpose of avoiding a page long description of them going into a shop to buy items and weapons. Any point of the story where you have to make a decision is heavily thought over. Wayne is staying as true to the assumed story as humanly possible.