Author Topic: One Question  (Read 1848 times)

Silber_ZR

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
One Question
« on: June 23, 2004, 02:25:24 am »
Hi. This is my first post here, but I've been following the theories of the Compendium avidly for ages now, so I'm not exactly "new" or anything...

Anyway. I've got one question: Why does everyone automatically assume that the End of Time is ALWAYS the time-space coordinates of least resistance?

When you get to the End of Time initially, Gasper says that because of the Conservation of Time Theorem, four or more travelers in a time warp will end up at the place of least resistance. He then indicates that the End of Time is such a place. Not only is that plausible, but it makes perfect sense at the time. But do the "time-space coordinates of least resistance" never change? Is that place always synonymous with the End of Time?

I was of the opinion that, given the set of circumstances, the place of least resistance turned out to be the End of Time. I've always just assumed that the particular place of least resistance was situation dependant; that if things had happened differently, the time-space coordinates might have been somewhere completely different.

As eveyone keeps refering to the End of Time exclusively as the time-space of least resistance, I'm starting to think I must have missed something. It makes some amount of sense that it would always be the End of Time and I've got no opposing theory to even attempt to prove it wrong. There's no evidence to support what I'm thinking at all, I know, but just because it may not be right, does that mean it's neccesarily wrong?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this:
Is there any reason NOT to believe that at any given time, the time-space coordinates of least resistance may end up being Lucca's house in 1000 AD?

[PS: I've always thought that the reason the Time Crash brought Chronopolis to the Dead Sea was because in that specific situation, it was the time-space coordinates of least resistance. Is there anything to prove why that can't be a valid possibility?]

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
One Question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 05:51:08 am »
Yes, but how less time-space resistant can you get than a place where time doesn't matter? Plus, other people seemingly have wound up in the EoT under similar circumstances to Crono & Co., Gasper says this as well...

So, although I don't discount there being a possible place of lesser resistance, I just don't see where that place could be...

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
One Question
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 09:12:23 pm »
As for the time crash, Chronopolis arrived there as that was the time from which Lavos pulled it back. Why did he pull it back at this time? I can't say for sure, but it's likely that he can only see a certain ways into the future and this was when he could first foresee his own destruction and Chronopolis's experiments, so he then decided to pull it back and disrupt the timeline, hoping to change future enough to save himself.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
One Question
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 09:43:02 pm »
Hm, perhaps the Time Crash only opened up Chronopolis's point on the timeline enough so that Lavos could pull it back? Though if Lavos can pull "things out of time", it begs the question why he doesnt just throw Crono + Co. out into some barren world far in the future...

And more on topic... Wouldnt all the beings at the EoT slowly make it less of a "place of least resistance" (as time has meaning again now that there are observers to it...)..

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
One Question
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 09:48:41 pm »
Yes, almost every detail, large and small, in Chrono Cross was planned by Belthasar. Everything had purpose. Belthasar read Lavos's mind.

Masato Kato confirmed that Lavos was simply trying to introduce significant change into the timeline to disrupt Crono's quest.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
One Question
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 10:00:08 pm »
Quote from: Epsilon
And more on topic... Wouldnt all the beings at the EoT slowly make it less of a "place of least resistance" (as time has meaning again now that there are observers to it...)..

From a Physics standpoint, mass creates a gravity well, causing an area of lower potential energy, to which other mass is drawn. This could even make it more of a "place of least resistance." Of course, there would likely have to be some other factor that gives it this property; there is a helluva lot more matter at any point in time than at the EoT.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
One Question
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 06:05:26 pm »
Should we attempt to integrate this into the End of Time entry or give it its own theory page? I'm divided on the matter.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
One Question
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 11:53:39 am »
I guess this also fits along with your inquiry about the End of Time in the Base Timeline thread.

And if I stick with my theory on that, I'd say that the End of Time would always be that point of least resistence.

I always looked at Gaspar's description of the law a little less literal. He was describing the End of Time by saying it was the point of least resistence, not saying the point of least resistence is where too many time travellers would end up...see what I'm saying? The End of Time is where travellers will end up, and it happens to be the point of least resistence.