Author Topic: The Base Timeline  (Read 1939 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
The Base Timeline
« on: October 23, 2005, 10:46:52 pm »
I have a theory of my own to present to you all. Hopefully this theory is widely accepted and I get my name passed on for generations as the guy who first thought of it...j/k

Anyway, my theory is called the Base Timeline Theory. All dimensions (timelines, for the sake of this argument) have one timeline that can be changed. When things change earlier on in the timeline, the later part of the timeline is discarded to the DBT and replaced with a newborn timeline. The fact that these events can happen and change these timelines, that timelines can interact with each other (Lavos pulling Chronopolis, the planet pulling Dinopolis, etc) shows that there was a time where those events hadn't happened. There was a time where the Entity didn't allow gates to open and make way for Crono and crew to change time. There was a time when Serge hadn't saved Schala and the dimension was split and connected closely and continued on its own path. Then came the time after the Chrono games happened and the Ideal timeline was born.

What am I saying? There is a specifically different "time" for all these events, one happened before the other progressively. My point is: there is a Base Timeline that all other timelines lie upon. While all other timelines have a beginning and end (The End of Time), this one doesn't, it has always existed and will always exist. The Base Timeline isn't necesarily the same world as the world of the Chronos, it's just a clock ticking time, essentially. The Darkness Beyond Time exists here, but is kept under some sort of watch by the one other 'thing' (for lack of more descriptive term) that resides here: the Entity. It can see all timelines in their entirety, from beginning to end. It can see all changes being made, watches as new timelines are born and old ones are discarded into the DBT.

The Entity decides it doesn't like the path the Lavos timeline is going and wants to change it, making it so the gates appear, watches all the changes occur all the way through the end of CC.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:12:53 pm »
So basically you're backing up the point that the only finality is that time does indeed flow?

If you're trying to fall back on the constants, than yes, I think that the fact that time flows really is the only constant in the equation, and potentially the extratemporal areas that exist out of time (the DBT, End of Time etc.)

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:52:12 pm »
The Entity is basically Gaia, so I don't know why it's the Warden for the DBT.

As for your Base Timeline thing? Yea, the Lavos Timeline fits that job pretty well.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 10:45:58 pm »
I don't think I get what either of you are saying, and I'm not sure you get what I'm saying. It's hard to explain...

Kinda similar to PD having a perpendicular timeline progression to that of normal timelines...kinda. There was a time when the Lavos timeline was THE timeline. At some point, the Entity opened the gates. After that point, the Lavos timeline was ditched and replaced by the Keystone Timeline, which after the Time Crash in that timeline was replaced by the second Keystone Timeline, which after Schala sent Kid and Serge beat the TD, was replaced by the "Ideal" Timeline. There is no going back and forth on the timeline of the Base Timeline. What happened happened, and that can't be changed. The other timelines can because they're...since there is no word to describe it: unprotected by the permanence of passed time, able to be changed, etc.

Like this: you can NEVER go back in time on the Base Timeline before Marle was sucked into the gate. See what  I'm saying?

...I hope so. Makes sense to me, and it sounds like the answer to alot of possible questions, actually it sounds like something they could use in the next (or maybe final) Chrono game, as it kinda has the sense of "Ultimate", "Extreme", "Terminal", whatever.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:55:49 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Like this: you can NEVER go back in time on the Base Timeline before Marle was sucked into the gate. See what  I'm saying?

I understand what you are saying, but that may have been the function of the Time Egg in order to save Crono.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:00:54 am »
Quote from: GrayLensman
Quote from: Mystik3eb

I understand what you are saying, but that may have been the function of the Time Egg in order to save Crono.

You bring up an interesting point. But I have an answer for that.

The Time Egg goes directly against [the theory that the time between when you leave an era and return to it is relative to how long you were gone]. It still involves going back in that same timeline.

According to the Base Timeline, there was a time before the use of the Time Egg, and a time after.

Right?

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 01:23:30 am »
Yes.

Basically, the Time Egg allowed Crono to be plucked out from under Lavos's nose without making any noticeable change to the timeline, hence the time freeze and the need for a clone.  I don't think the Time Egg had to access a pre-existing timeline.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:40:33 pm »
Oh, I SEE!

You're saying the timelines are part of a larger timeline, a timeline that records timeline edits, deletes, and inserts? Ok, that makes sense.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 05:59:12 pm »
Doesn't this kinda lead to more, "entity," theories? As when you say a central, "timeline," that has full control over whatever timelines branch out, most people like to associate that with a sentient being.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 06:02:41 pm »
That would entail a 'Yes' from me. The Entity really is a confusing topic.

Personally, I think it was Norstein Bekkler =p

j/k

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 03:31:05 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
Yes.

Basically, the Time Egg allowed Crono to be plucked out from under Lavos's nose without making any noticeable change to the timeline, hence the time freeze and the need for a clone.  I don't think the Time Egg had to access a pre-existing timeline.

Oh, to dupe Lavos! That's a good reason for having the clone there. I had been searching for one for ages.

Now, concerning the base timeline, I believe this is really just Time Error. Time Error dictates that there is a transcendental flow of time above the normal world; it can be viewed by the End of Time and the Darkness Beyond Time, and any other extra-temporal locations as specified by Leebot. Here, people can observe changes being made. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that these extratemporal locations reside on a base timeline. This is fine, but my question is, is there a base timeline for every extratemporal location? That is, do consequences in the End of Time have repercussions in the Darkness Beyond? Thus far, each extratemporal location in the chronology has been given its own "timeline," as each has been classified separate from one another.

So, for instance, under this theory, could people in the DBT see the End of Time's history changed by time traveling, or would they not notice it because all Time Error locations reside on a Base Timeline? If you get what I mean.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 06:22:30 pm »
How do we know for certain that time can be viewed from the End of Time. Really, it only seems liek Gaspar can, especially since he is The Guru of Time.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 07:01:04 pm »
Spekkio noted that he watched all kinds of battles from the End of Time.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 11:34:13 am »
Now that you mention it, I haven't really considered the End of Time.

Now that I think about it indepth, it seems like the End of Time is actually more of a real "Present" times...as in it's still being written.

And in this case, that would mean that there's only one End of Time, also residing on the Base Timeline, or Time Error, or whatever.

Does that throw things into flux for you guys, cuz it still makes sense to me. The End of Time's timeline is one, permanent one, where events have already happened and that will never changed or be affected by such means as time travel, and the present is currently happening; the future of this timeline cannot possibly be traveled into (maybe read, but then again I just watched Paycheck ^_^).

I can't think of anything that proves this theory wrong, can you?

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
The Base Timeline
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 04:50:22 pm »
No, but then again, nothing truly supports it either.