Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 168441 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1320 on: October 07, 2011, 06:34:46 pm »
Yes. In my last interview, I had a partner look at my resume and ask me, given all my amazing achievements, why I didn't have a job yet and that this situation was inconsistent.

I wanted to say, "Why don't you fucking tell me why I don't have a job?"

What a fucking attitude. Of course, this is goddamned shitass Texas. I didn't say that in reply, of course. Didn't get the job either. This system of perpetual growth capitalism cannot last forever.

O, deliver me to Portland, or some other place where I can reasonably expect people not to be right-wing, religious assholes.

Next time answer that kind of question by saying that hiring practices disadvantage young people who do not yet have solid work experience or current employment in their profession. Challenge them to be different, and they don't hire you then don't dignify them by working for them. =)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1321 on: October 08, 2011, 06:57:24 am »
Yes. In my last interview, I had a partner look at my resume and ask me, given all my amazing achievements, why I didn't have a job yet and that this situation was inconsistent.

I wanted to say, "Why don't you fucking tell me why I don't have a job?"

What a fucking attitude. Of course, this is goddamned shitass Texas. I didn't say that in reply, of course. Didn't get the job either. This system of perpetual growth capitalism cannot last forever.

O, deliver me to Portland, or some other place where I can reasonably expect people not to be right-wing, religious assholes.

Next time answer that kind of question by saying that hiring practices disadvantage young people who do not yet have solid work experience or current employment in their profession. Challenge them to be different, and they don't hire you then don't dignify them by working for them. =)
That's a well put out statement. XD

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 08, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »
Ah, they already gave me that spiel on their own, about how they're different from other firms. While I was in school, the percentage of internships as new hires for this line of work changed from 40% to somewhere around 95%. The change didn't filter into the university until I had graduated, and so I was utterly ruined in my choice not to do an internship. While I have my overall dreams of writing and destroying sexism, I need a stable foundation for a couple years and the opportunities this would bring. I told them why I didn't do an internship, and reiterated the effects of the recession.

Seems I can't get in the public sphere now, so industry it is. At least that lets me be geographically picky. I can't imagine living somewhere that's not the midwest, where there's a decent chance that I might be interested to know someone instead of repelled by their right-wing prejudices and love of country music.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 08, 2011, 04:27:49 pm »
Oh, you can always find great people in big cities, which are often left-leaning anyway. I've done fine in deep Texas. You just have to know where the artsy, activist neighborhoods are so you can hang out there, and probably tolerate a diversity of coworkers.

That said, the idea of moving somewhere that isn't dominated by Big Oil is immensely goddamn appealing, and I will probably do so at some point or another.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:02:28 pm by Syna »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 08, 2011, 06:25:18 pm »
Hopefully those neighborhoods aren't also unreasonably pricey, if it does come to staying here. I guess I really don't have faith in any type of market or real estate anymore. No idea what to expect.

I feel sick driving through those magnificent mansion neighborhoods near Highland Park in Dallas. I guess I really am a "red".

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 08, 2011, 07:49:42 pm »
I'll take this opportunity to repeat my usual advertising pitch of Pacific Coast USA!!! Specifically, the contiguous West Coast. Specifically within that, the Pacific Northwest. Specifically within that, Seattle.

You know you want to...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:38 pm »
I am aiming for Portland. I even have a relative already living there. Earthquake risk, but can't win them all, and perhaps it's not as bad as California's risk... I also hear Portland has an aggressive homeless population.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:55:22 pm by ZeaLitY »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 08, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »
Z, Portland has a GREAT public transportation system. I'd risk saying one of the best in the country. Truly you can survive there quite easily without a car. It's very bicycle friendly, as well. Plus, the median salary is approximately $47,000 - quite high compared to the rest of the country. I really think you'd love it!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 09, 2011, 01:12:58 am »
Portland is awesome. I too have relatives there, and Portland was the city by which I originally fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. It's very big, but they get a lot right. A few years there and you'll have a much better taste of what the West Coast really is.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 09, 2011, 01:43:10 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Hopefully those neighborhoods aren't also unreasonably pricey, if it does come to staying here. I guess I really don't have faith in any type of market or real estate anymore. No idea what to expect.

It's kind of a toss-up. Houston's artsy neighborhood is now fairly gentrified and expensive, and what has happened is that a lot of the artsy liberal types have moved to the Hispanic-dominated neighborhood I currently live in. I do have to commute a lot to the artsy neighborhood to do fun things, but I like it here.

(I hope this doesn't become gentrification roulette and attract townhomes, but there are certain qualities of the neighborhood that will prevent that. I hope.)

It's also not that expensive; friends lived there while supporting themselves during their studies. You learn how to cope, which streets to go to.

I feel sick driving through those magnificent mansion neighborhoods near Highland Park in Dallas. I guess I really am a "red".

This is a very stereotypically Texan liberal thing to say, but augh, Dallas. Goddamn Dallas. They don't say "Keep Dallas Plastic" for no reason.

They have some incredible art museums and architecture and I'm sure there's a bohemian scene somewhere, though.

Quote from: Lord J Esq
I'll take this opportunity to repeat my usual advertising pitch of Pacific Coast USA!!! Specifically, the contiguous West Coast. Specifically within that, the Pacific Northwest. Specifically within that, Seattle.

It may well happen, actually! I have an uncle and grandmother there, and friends, and it seems to be doing well economically. I absolutely adore that city - I have many beautiful memories of my childhood visits to my grandparents' home.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:51:27 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1330 on: October 12, 2011, 06:52:59 am »
When life grants you a lemon...

...most people take if for granted.

Then there are those few who make it count, and those who grow a tree out of it.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 12, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1332 on: October 12, 2011, 02:16:36 pm »
When life grants you a lemon...
Don't make lemonade. Get mad!
"I don't want damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? I demand to see Life's manager!"

XDDD

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:05 am »
The doctrine that infants who die will go to Hell if they are not baptized or that children who die before they "accept Christ" will go to Hell.  That is sick.  That is absolutely sick.  And yes, I think the whole "you'll go to Hell if you don't ascribe to one specific religion" is incredibly fucked-up as well, but there is just something truly disgusting about thinking that young children will go to Hell simply because they don't go through some tradition or because they're not old enough to make a conscious choice about what religion they want to follow.

On that note, I also hate spiritual abuse.  I was spiritually abused as a child and it is an awful, awful thing.  I saw examples of it all the time in high school and even in college and it made me ill.  But where I come from, it's completely accepted.  There's nothing wrong with terrorizing a toddler with images of Hell to force them to accept Christ, which is what happened to me.  I asked forgiveness of my sins when I was three because I was so terrified of Hell and because I felt so guilty for being so "sinful".  I was effin' three.  Who in their right mind thinks it's appropriate to tell a toddler that they're going to Hell because of all the "sins" they've committed!?  How many sins could I have committed at that age in the first place?  "Now Saj, your mother told you not to try and climb on the furniture, and you tried anyway, so you're going to Hell.  And now I'm going to go into graphic description about Hell so that you'll ask Jesus to come into your heart, because you need him since you are sinful."

:evil:

Oh, I could go on and on about everything I hate about this kind of shit...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1334 on: October 13, 2011, 11:52:49 am »
According to the Catholics, you don't go to Hell, but Purgatory until you're prayed for or dealt with whatever sin. At least, one interpretation of it does. I think that's what Dante was getting at.