Author Topic: My second Compendium -- the Quest series  (Read 559 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
My second Compendium -- the Quest series
« on: April 15, 2007, 11:54:04 pm »
I am laying the clerical groundwork for my second Compendium, about the Jonny Quest series. No, this does not mean I'm abandoning Chrono; no, this does not mean I'm abandoning my post, either. If and when Chrono Break comes out, you can bet I'll be right there to preserve this site's position as the best. The popularity of the game will provide more than enough human capital to really let the place explode. Imagine, administrators, fan project leaders, and honored posters and guests -- when the site explodes, you'll get to kick around a bunch of new, brainless fans who spam and speak with mangled grammar in the endless quest to prevent this place from becoming a regular forum.

But on to the good stuff. I need a name for the JQ Compendium.

Jonnyquestcompendium.com is huge.
Questcompendium.com is still huge.
Questworld.com is sadly trademarked by Warner Brothers.
Questlab.com / Questlabs.com is parked by domain name parking speculators.

So, come to my aid if you have a neat idea. I'm looking for things that relate to the show and would prefer to keep a .com extension, I guess. Later, when time is on my side again, we can lay the official groundwork.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: My second Compendium -- the Quest series
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:59:10 pm »
I'd say go for questcompendium.com, makes the most sense. Plus, it's not as big a chronocompendium.com

OR you could try adventurecompendium.com, but that's still too big. Damn.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:17:12 am »
Err...you just said it right there in your list: jqcompendium.com Simple, easy to remember, and hard to confuse with other subjects.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:25:20 am »
It's not quite topical enough; that's my worry. JQ could stand for many things...

I wonder...

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:29:09 am »
JohnnyQcomp.com? I would have suggested it before but you seem married to having "compendium" in your domain name.

I also point out that questcompendium.com is actually shorter than chronocompendium.com, by the way.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:10:46 am »
questarchive.com
questalmanac.com
questfan.com

Is it really that hard? My only suggestion is, act fast. It's only a matter of time before some script sees this cached somewhere and buys up those domains or something...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:18:49 am »
JQcompendium.com. Final Fantasy has FFcompendium, so you have the right to abbreviate too!
And damn, for a sec there I thought it was going to be a DQ compendium :(

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 03:43:48 am »
I'm working on the charter here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/JQC.html

I've got to decide how to organize information now. The primary meat of the site will be episode listings, and the foundation is probably going to be a Wiki. Unlike the Compendium's encyclopedia, there is not enough canon to justify creating pages for each and every character or that kind of thing. Still, a few encyclopedia entries can be made for general characters and topics. But before I make a tentative plan to split the information up and present it, I suppose I should figure out what exactly I'll be covering.

• Episodes, including synposes, production notes, and trivia; can all go on one page
  • Merchandise coverage; TRAJQ was heavily promoted
  • Characters, places, and other recurring entities and objects
  • Fan fiction and lots of it; not that I'll be writing any, but Quest fans are avid writers
  • Information on the two TV movies, the '86 series, and perhaps the 60's series
  • Fan art, not as much as fan fiction
  • A hell of a lot of screen captures probably
  • A feature on season one / two differences; guess a general feature section can work
  • The TRAJQ PC game; wasn't too big
  • Links / forums

I don't think we're going to have many downloads here. If you'll notice with the Copendium, our download pages exist solely for totally oddball stuff. The bulk of our media is properly presented on relevant pages.

And here's a pivotal question: support fan petitions or no? Fan petitions in this case means asking Warner Brothers for a DVD release.

~

With all that in mind, this site won't be too difficult to get up and running quickly. The only potential time wasters are the screen-capture gathering and the fan fiction adding. We'd have to set up some kind of automatic system for submitting and presenting fan fiction, or perhaps resort to uploading .doc or .rtf files and hosting those as external downloads rather than on-site content. So it would seem like the site would require

• News / Updates
  • Features
  • Encyclopedia, divided at the onset between TRAJQ information and other Quest information
  • Community
  • Forums
  • Links

How's this sound? We also need to pick a color scheme. Black and green is so 1995, so we can't really run with the original TRAJQ scheme. I think blue/purple and white might work.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 12:30:12 pm »
That sounds like a quality plan to me, Zeality. I like the blue/purple and white scheme, but I also think you might want to consider a green/grey scheme as well, or perhaps green and blue(unless that just looks horrible; I wouldn't know because I can never determine decent colour schemes.)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »
Howabout Red and Grey? Like Race Bannon!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:26:58 pm »
Why not just make a Venture Bros. Compendium?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06:18 pm »
I revised http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/JQC.html. Now it's time to decide policy.

• No main page affiliation still sounds good, though we'll probably go ahead and do it with Classicjq, the sister site
  • The only petition we'll encounter is one for the DVD release of the series, and these things have sometimes worked for TV shows. Endorse it and promote it?

QuestFan won't be as popular as the Compendium by far, and most of the Quest community is concerned with fan fiction; there are no games to hack or make. I'm thinking...hosting documents still sounds good.

Well, that's surprisingly it. The charter will be mostly finished after this. With the sections mentioned, I guess we might add an About button in the navigation bar for the charter and other metasite information. The Compendium's about page has become pretty important lately as well.