Author Topic: Crazy Ideas Thread (outdated)  (Read 29244 times)

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ideas Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2007, 12:08:45 am »
Make it so that you're taken directly to the opposing ticket office instead, like they did in Crimson Echoes for the Medina and Choras ferries.

I have thought about doing this. Then it would be much easier to add a ferry to those towns.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2007, 12:11:28 am »
Right. Say it adds in about five or six game hours after the Ozzie's Fort sidequest, so what's his face has time to build the ferry, and have the Choras ferry there from the start, only with the boat broken/unable to go there due to bad weather or something, since we don't want to have to deal with the problems of having Choras accessible from the beginning of the game, since much of the NPC dialogue and other bits to it apply only to the part of the game after the Black Omen rises, and...well, it would be confusing, to say the least, not to mention we'd have to do so much more to add to it to overcome this that it just isn't worth it.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2007, 12:16:09 am »
Right. Say it adds in about five or six game hours after the Ozzie's Fort sidequest, so what's his face has time to build the ferry, and have the Choras ferry there from the start, only with the boat broken/unable to go there due to bad weather or something, since we don't want to have to deal with the problems of having Choras accessible from the beginning of the game, since much of the NPC dialogue and other bits to it apply only to the part of the game after the Black Omen rises, and...well, it would be confusing, to say the least, not to mention we'd have to do so much more to add to it to overcome this that it just isn't worth it.

Bad weather for Choras works wonders. Taking along time to build the Medina ferry works.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:07 am »
Now, the question is, apart from the Frozen Flame book entry in Zeal and the epilogue hints--and the possible barracks in Porre--what other hints can we give towards Chrono Cross? I'd love to add in as many as we can, if at all possible, to try and tie the two games together better.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2007, 12:25:40 am »
Now, the question is, apart from the Frozen Flame book entry in Zeal and the epilogue hints--and the possible barracks in Porre--what other hints can we give towards Chrono Cross? I'd love to add in as many as we can, if at all possible, to try and tie the two games together better.

My mind is completely empty on this one. I haven't played CC for a while now (need to dig up my copy and just blow threw it)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2007, 12:31:01 am »
Yeah, I'm drawing a bit of a blank too. I've played through it several times, but coming up with something other than a brief "Hey, let's check out those new islands we've never seen before!" type of dialogue insertion into an ending or two has proven difficult, hence why I ask you. Perhaps Glennleo will be able to chime in on this.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2007, 12:33:12 am »
Two comments in Cross suggest that the Viper clan were distinctly immigrants to El Nido from Porre in 920 A.D. Mention of a powerful family with the name might give a good hint.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2007, 12:40:19 am »
Two comments in Cross suggest that the Viper clan were distinctly immigrants to El Nido from Porre in 920 A.D. Mention of a powerful family with the name might give a good hint.
Right, of course! Thanks, Zeality. That should definitely work.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2007, 05:17:15 am »
Battles-
If I can figure out how to SCALE the monsters' stats by levels I will implement that function. Then the enemies &  bosses will always be a challange. If I can pull this off, then ALL of the monsters will upgrade every 5 levels and stop at 90 (unless of course they are 90+ mobs). Heh heh. Think of REBALAMCED monsters upgrading) Even Truce Canyon at level 75 would still be a challange! (This would be the true secret behind the New Game* option I was talking about before....that's why I said "Don't worry about making it super hard" -- also, this is what I mean when I say "upgrading monsters" anywhere in any of my previous posts/lists, it's just a reminder to me to add the ability and to someday add the NewGame* stuff though that will be MUCH later.)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2007, 05:22:15 am »
I...I lean against this idea. At one point I really liked it, but...but it becomes...pointless. It makes the game feel a little pointless, really. It hinders the ability of the player to actually feel as though they are getting stronger, not to mention it hinders realism. In most games where this is employed, even tiny little bugs become a challenge to a party that should be capable of crushing lions, let alone insects! It's unrealistic to see something like, say, a Blue Imp become as powerful as someone who can defeat Lavos.

Okay, maybe I'm exagerating, but I don't like this feature. However...if it's just for New Game * and not for the entire Chrono Trigger + experience, then it's okay.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2007, 05:25:59 am »
Don't worry, it's only for NewGame*. I don't plan on butchering the game....oh wait! We ARE!  :D

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2007, 05:28:42 am »
Okay, good. That worried me there for a moment.

Speaking of New Game *, how exactly do you plan on coding it, anyway? And for that matter, why do we still have limits to the ROM size? Can't we just add what we want since it's not data stored in an actual cartridge? Surely we could increase the size at will because we're operating on a computer.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2007, 05:37:43 am »
Speaking of New Game *, how exactly do you plan on coding it, anyway? And for that matter, why do we still have limits to the ROM size? Can't we just add what we want since it's not data stored in an actual cartridge? Surely we could increase the size at will because we're operating on a computer.

NewGame* coding? All I need is the memory values that the enemy stats are stored. If I can access this through the event editor, I can use some NewGame+ preconditions, and another mem-value that will act as the "switch" to activate the new stats under an if statement.
So the very basics are:
If:(NewGame+ & NewGame*)
then: load (new monster stats)
else: load (normal monster stats)

As for expanding the ROM, unfortunately we have to wait for ZSNES and SNES9X to be able to add 8MEG ROM support it's only 6 right now. (then we could litteraly double the size of the game). The problem is that I emailed ZNES about it and they laughed at me saying 8 MEGS is way too many - no one would need that much. (unless there is a demand for it... they ALSO compete to have the better features than SNES9X) SO, if I get ahold of the SNES9X group (and tell that what ZSNES told me, and tell them what we are working on and the extra space we need) maybe they will add it. (then ofcourse ZSNES will add it after they do). The next problem is we would have to wait for Geiger to expand TF to beable to make ROMs go to 8 MEGS. I know they'll all add it someday.... Hopefully soon.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2007, 05:43:55 am »
Huh...that's odd...but okay. I'm not going to claim an understanding of any of this. Well, no, that's not true...I understood the New Game * explanation perfectly, and I think I understood the 6 and 8 megs bit. Is that actually the size of the ROM itself, or is it a compression ratio of some sort?

Also, while screwing around a bit on the overworld map(s) I noticed something odd, though in retrospect it's not that surprising: the Bangor Dome Gate does not match up with the Guardia Forest Gate. This wouldn't be a problem except that the Proto Dome and Medina Residence Gates match up perfectly. In the case of the Tyrano Lair Ruins and Earthbound Island Gates it's not a problem since it's easily explainable due to continent drift over the millions of years, but in this case...maybe we'd best concoct an explanation? Or is it something we can just ignore? I ask only because I'm tired and otherwise bereft of ideas at the moment so...meh.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2007, 05:58:26 am »
Huh...that's odd...but okay. I'm not going to claim an understanding of any of this. Well, no, that's not true...I understood the New Game * explanation perfectly, and I think I understood the 6 and 8 megs bit. Is that actually the size of the ROM itself, or is it a compression ratio of some sort?

When the creators of the emulators made them, they coded the emulation to perfectly read the file size and format of the exact game. So it would be the size of the ROM. I did expand the ROM to 8 megs with Lunar Magic, but it crashed under every emulator (and CT editor) that I could possibly try. So I am thinking it's also in a different format.

Also, while screwing around a bit on the overworld map(s) I noticed something odd, though in retrospect it's not that surprising: the Bangor Dome Gate does not match up with the Guardia Forest Gate. This wouldn't be a problem except that the Proto Dome and Medina Residence Gates match up perfectly. In the case of the Tyrano Lair Ruins and Earthbound Island Gates it's not a problem since it's easily explainable due to continent drift over the millions of years, but in this case...maybe we'd best concoct an explanation? Or is it something we can just ignore? I ask only because I'm tired and otherwise bereft of ideas at the moment so...meh.
[/quote]

:shock: Uh... yeah, I have no clue on this. We could just leave it as most everyone it oblivious to it, but hey, if you come with anything feel free to lay ideas down.