Author Topic: Pirates! - SPOILERS. DON'T BE AN IDIOT AND READ THIS BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE.  (Read 2254 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
I didn't read the thread, but since there's now a "Pirates" thread, I thought I'd say I thought the scene w/Jack vs the Kraken (that close up of Jack w/sword up against that wall of teeth) in the second one would make a badass wallpaper or something...anyone got a pic of that?

Found this one Wikipedia:

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile

Daniel Krispin

Why did Beckett just stand with his thumbs up his ass? I figure he didn't want to kill Elizabeth, but as she was only on one ship, why didn't he simply shitcan the other one?
I know. I think the idea was that he was so suddenly shocked by the turn-around that he was frozen, and we're apparently supposed to cheer his death, but screw that. He's a naval officer! He's trained not to freeze in situations like that! It's simply not believeable and it really hurt that part of the film.

Actually, that's just the thing. Beckett wasn't a naval officer at all. He was a lord. He was a politician in charge of an economic enterprise sanctioned by the British empire, and had command of the empire's navy, but for all that he was not a career military man.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile

Oh, really? Well...

In that case, why didn't whoever was under him that WAS a career military man take control and give orders?! That only makes sense. If your Captain is suddenly out of commision, you don't stand there continously asking for orders while the ship explodes about you. You ask once, then if he looks frozen you start giving orders immediately!

Or at least I think that might have made more sense.

In any case, I still don't cheer his death, because I don't like my bad guys to die. I like my bad guys to--eventually, in a realistic way--realize how wrong they were and try to redeem themselves. But maybe I'm just a forgiving man, so take that as you will.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
In any case, I still don't cheer his death, because I don't like my bad guys to die. I like my bad guys to--eventually, in a realistic way--realize how wrong they were and try to redeem themselves. But maybe I'm just a forgiving man, so take that as you will.

It's debatable whether he was even wrong in the first place. You have to remember that Pirates of the Caribbean is a very romantic portrayal of pirates- so really the antagonists are set up as the protagonists.

Regardless, pirates are still much cooler.

Something to note is that Beckett seems to keep himself from turning into a gibbering idiot by drinking tea throughout the film- the TRUE reason he lost was because the supply ran out. =P

Kyronea

• View Profile

It's debatable whether he was even wrong in the first place. You have to remember that Pirates of the Caribbean is a very romantic portrayal of pirates- so really the antagonists are set up as the protagonists.
Oh, he was wrong, though the pirates were wrong as well. Both were criminals...the pirates in the more traditional sense and Beckett and the East Indian Shipping Company in the more modern corporate exploitation sense. That does not mean either deserves to die, however, or even be punished severely.
Regardless, pirates are still much cooler.
Cooler than corporate executives, yes.
Something to note is that Beckett seems to keep himself from turning into a gibbering idiot by drinking tea throughout the film- the TRUE reason he lost was because the supply ran out. =P
That must be it. He ran out of tea so he froze. See, people, this is why you do not get addicted to tea...you turn into a Beckett.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

Oh, he was wrong, though the pirates were wrong as well. Both were criminals...the pirates in the more traditional sense and Beckett and the East Indian Shipping Company in the more modern corporate exploitation sense. That does not mean either deserves to die, however, or even be punished severely.
That must be it. He ran out of tea so he froze. See, people, this is why you do not get addicted to tea...you turn into a Beckett.

The East Indian Trading company could by no means be considered 'good'... but in the real world things don't work like that anyway. -shrug-

You'll pay for that.

Kyronea

• View Profile
Quote from: Mystic Frog King
The East Indian Trading company could by no means be considered 'good'... but in the real world things don't work like that anyway. -shrug-
Of course they don't. As I've repeatedly stated good and evil are naught but philisophical concepts.
You'll pay for that.
What, for stating a fact?

Okay, so that's not actually a fact. Here is a fact: people can become addicted to tea, much like coffee, as it is their method of obtaining caffiene, which a great deal of the world is addicted to, sadly.

Here's another fact: tea usually tastes better than coffee...except for this odd blend of coffee I happen to enjoy, which thankfully comes naturally caffiene free.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
You'll pay for that.
What, for stating a fact?

Okay, so that's not actually a fact. Here is a fact: people can become addicted to tea, much like coffee, as it is their method of obtaining caffiene, which a great deal of the world is addicted to, sadly.

Here's another fact: tea usually tastes better than coffee...except for this odd blend of coffee I happen to enjoy, which thankfully comes naturally caffiene free.

It's hardly a fact. Tea <3

Kyronea

• View Profile

It's hardly a fact. Tea <3
Yes, well, in any case, thank you for confirming yet another British stereotype. Cheerio, guvner!

MsBlack

• View Profile
Ha! I'm (partially) British and drink tea about once a year and despise coffee.

OWNED!1

Kyronea

• View Profile
Ha! I'm (partially) British and drink tea about once a year and despise coffee.

OWNED!1
It was a joke at his expense that he walked into--and was hopefully amused by--and you just ruined it.

MsBlack

• View Profile
I was attempting to make a joke by mocking people who feel they've 'owned' another person because they 'won' a perceived 'argument' that really isn't to do with them, and you just ruined it! I love British Douchebag (heck, any prejudiced) jokes. I also love jokes that mock stupid people.

Besides, if he reads this thread in chronological order, he'll see both of our hilarious posts.

Tutty bye, old bean.

Daniel Krispin

Oh, really? Well...

In that case, why didn't whoever was under him that WAS a career military man take control and give orders?! That only makes sense. If your Captain is suddenly out of commision, you don't stand there continously asking for orders while the ship explodes about you. You ask once, then if he looks frozen you start giving orders immediately!

Doesn't Gillette there yell 'abandon ship' right after he sees him frozen?

MsBlack

• View Profile
It's more like right after asking him for orders 15 times.