Author Topic: Does Gaspar Age?  (Read 8369 times)

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
Re: Does Gaspar Age?
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:52 am »
Maybe I'm just being selective about it, but if the "End of Time" is the best title to give this place, then I defy anyone to come up with a better title.

The farthest reaches of time.
The outskirts of time.
The brink of time.

All easy to identify if you're a Chrono fan, heh.

Also,
The fucking blue screen of time.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:54 pm »

Meh...

Those don't really have any appeal to me.

In the end, I think I'll just stick with the "End of Time".

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »
yeah, he did say better, which is more quality than quantity. a good try, though.

radicalblues

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »
The brink of time is an incredibly better definition for it. That place is not where time ends, it's not the far far far future when universe implodes, or when golf becomes a good sport.

n. brink  (brngk)
1. a. The upper edge of a steep or vertical slope: the brink of a cliff.
b. The margin of land bordering a body of water.
2. The point at which something is likely to begin; the verge.

Instead, the brink of time is a place outside of time, judging from facts, even a pocket dimension. Gaspar is not affected by the changes in time that Crono and the "other travelers" make, he seems to be able to watch all the changes in time from that place (Crimson Echoes Belthasar would be jealous), since he's always on date to the changes you've done in your travels. Gaspar lies on the very verge of time, on the corners of time, just far enough to remain unaffected by time travel changes.

But back on topic, this doesn't mean that time doesn't run there, Ayla still gets bored if you don't get her in party, Spekkio tells you that's it's been long since last seeing you, Gaspar takes a nap and wakes up. The time there is unaffected by the "central" timeline, which is why it's the brink... but there's still time going on in there. So time hasn't ended, so no end of time. :P

To sum it up, the end of time means "somewhere" in time, the place being the end. The brink of time means outside of time, on the verge, the edge, the outskirts of time, where time has no reach, but still has a kind of time on its own (else the game would end after 2300 A.D., lawl). Just imagine time as a road, all srs business happen on the road as the road goes on, the brink of time also runs as long as the road of time goes... but it's right outside the road, so srs business don't reach there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:49:08 pm by radicalblues »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:58 am »
I think you had something there with the "Verge".

Verge of Time sounds pretty sweet. But it also sounds like it could have been a hair band in the 80s glam metal scene...

radicalblues

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:16 pm »
I just had pictures of the CT cast being a hair metal band.  :franky

Pierre es cargot

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »
No more than 3 people can enter a time warp at once, but you bet Gaspar didn't learn that until after his exile. When the four of them traveled through space and time, the gate couldn't handle the stress and so a new place and time was created out of nothingness. Seeing as how all points of time came to being after the beginning of time, and since it encompassed all era's of time, it was probably best decided by Gaspar to be labeled as the End of Time.

It's four people from different ERAS, not just four people. Chrono, Marle, Lucca, and...say, Crono's mom could all go through a gate w/o being rerouted to the EoT.

No they couldn't because when you first appear at the End of Time you dont have four people from different time periods.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »
Yes you have, as Robo isn't from the same era as Crono, Lucca, and Marle.

Pierre es cargot

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 01:07:12 pm »

as you can see here it doesnt say anything about different eras

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 01:36:31 pm »
Because the English SNES translation left that detail out. Look for the Retranslation or DS version, then you'll see.

Pierre es cargot

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »
They really should just get the translation right the first time if they are going to add it into later versions. I only play the PS version and thats probably all I'll ever have so thats the way it's always going to appear when I see it.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:03 pm »
Well, remember that problems are to arise during translations.

Space and time limitations, censorship, unable to copy references and the like. But then again, mistakes can happen too.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46:50 pm »
They really should just get the translation right the first time if they are going to add it into later versions. I only play the PS version and thats probably all I'll ever have so thats the way it's always going to appear when I see it.
I think the guy that did the translation only had about 30 days to translate the game, so I can understand and forgive mistakes that the guy made.
Plus Nintendo had very strict guildlines at the time.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
Well... as far as I know(and I could be wrong here), aging is a result of the free radicals, that are released in our system with every breath we take, destroying our cells and deteriorating them. To my knowledge, breathing is the thing that gives us life, but at the same time, it takes it away.

If this is true and I am not confusing facts or mistaking things, then Gaspar should age, regardless of the flow of Time, because he stills breathes(proven by the fact that when he's sleeping, you can clearly see him breathe)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »
Hmmm...for one thing, Dap, you made me aware of my own breathing (gah), but you brought up something puzzling, as well.

Gaspar would have brought his own Free Radicals with him, presumably, but there would have been none in the EoT (there was nothing there until Gaspar and Spekkio made them) and Gaspar's lifespan may have, therefore, been much longer...I mean, he was already oldish when he arrived, but he had time to look at many, many time periods and see the outcomes of histories, so he must have been there quite a while (as in years), and didn't look much older for it.

So if his aging is extremely slowed, when Crono and Co came in, bringing a bunch more Free Radicals, it would have sped up his aging...

...so they've succeeded in bringing his death more quickly, in a way.

That is, if he ages, which, despite evidence to the contrary, I think he does not do... :P