Author Topic: Sealed Chrono Trigger on ebay right now!!  (Read 2079 times)

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
Sealed Chrono Trigger on ebay right now!!
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
hey guys, just thought id show you guys something interesting
theres an auction going on right now (still about 2 hours remaining from when i post this) for a still factory sealed chrono trigger
however, your paying hefty if youre willing to go for it
heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280196150761&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

feel free to delete this post if you guys want after the auction is over

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Sealed Chrono Trigger on ebay right now!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »
I feel sorry for those people.

Wait; no I don't!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:07:29 pm »
 :shock: $1000?? That's...a bit much. I had always thought emulation would tend to drive the price of the physical copies down, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:36:24 pm »
:shock: $1000?? That's...a bit much. I had always thought emulation would tend to drive the price of the physical copies down, but I guess it doesn't work that way.
I guess this is like one of those 'uber rare' games that collectors MUST own. A brand new, factory sealed version of a classic will go for BIG bucks with collectors. If it's been opened at all, value goes DOWN. Any damage? DOWN DOWN. If you have played the game, forget it! It's probably like ToD. $50 bucks for the game with water damage. However, unlike CT, it... isn't exactly amazing. But it's good. Just... not here.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:40:30 pm »
thats basically what its for at this point, a collectors item. i seriously doubt whomever won the auction is even planing on opening it, let alone playing it. Thats why i wouldnt be too picky about quality. so long as it runs and its playable its fine by me.

Sentou Ryoku

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:41:15 am »
How are buyers even guaranteed it's not a re-sealed item?

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07:32 am »
If I have that money... But with I buy a PS3.

Decadent Sympozium

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Apotheosis of Judgment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:29 am »
Yes, this is the collector's auction. The only thing I find sad about it is the fact they will never play that piece. Playing an original first edition authentic would be number 1 joy, after getting one.  But, nope, it will just be there on some shelf, perhaps under alarm.

I had always thought emulation would tend to drive the price of the physical copies down, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Yes, it doesn't. There is something in the authentics that people like no matter what. Well actually there are two aspects. 1) Think of the magic/yu-gi-oh/pokemon cards. There are fakes that god-knows-who does that are made incredibly well and cost four-six times less, they are distributed just as originals, and follow everything (except they can't be holo). You could easly buy 6 boostersinstead of one, build cards yand decks you want, make your own organisation and play with fakes. But the thingy in your brain just rings you "It ain't real.". Second aspect is the different experience. Think Chrono cross on emulator. First you have to find an appropriate ISO and emulator, and mend the files. That is aumatic joy-kill because you bother with technicalities instead of just inserting the disc into Playstation that does wonders - it doesn't make you do anything but display your next all-time favorite, and all it wants from you is press the right buttons. Sometimes even that isn't needed. Next, you have to set up the setup, configuration, and options in order to approach the game's visuals, sound, and rendering to the playstation original which means that you'll be runing game 20 times before you make it work, and even then it won't really look like on playstation - which doesn't bothers you with that, it renders the game in perfect condition. Next, if you want to enjoy it as you enjoy it on PS, you need to buy yourself a PS-style controller with lengthy wire and appropriate functions that has the usb cable. But you didn't get the nice booklet, and it isn't in that sexy heavy case that has "ORIGINAL" written all over it, and you don't have much support. The list just goes and goes...and that's with all kind of fakes, not just multimedia. For example, the above-mentioned cards. Yeah charizard Ex is a real joy to have, but...um...it's not holo. It doesn't shine, and it doesn't look smooth, and massive. It kills the joy, which is why originals have this power in value, and frankly, at some point worth every penny - if you can afford so.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:05:45 am by Decadent Sympozium »

Chris8282

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »
I'm sorry above poster but that's the most ignorant post I've seen in a long time. Emulation has MANY, MANY benefits over the original. Plus, it takes me less than 30 seconds to configure all the plug-ins. It looks better, sounds better. There are so many benefits I don't even want to get into it. I have no problem with your opinion, I just don't want someone to read this and think emulation is hard and miss out on a chance to play a game they might not be able to.

Not to mention emulator compatibility is 100x better than PS2/PS3 compatibility.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:02:05 pm by Chris8282 »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »
I'm sorry above poster but that's the most ignorant post I've seen in a long time. Emulation has MANY, MANY benefits over the original. Plus, it takes me less than 30 seconds to configure all the plug-ins. It looks better, sounds better. There are so many benefits I don't even want to get into it. I have no problem with your opinion, I just don't want someone to read this and think emulation is hard and miss out on a chance to play a game they might not be able to.

Not to mention emulator compatibility is 100x better than PS2/PS3 compatibility.

Most of his/her post is fairly accurate.  The problems with emulation and setting the emulator up may have been a bit overblown, though.  Sure there are many benefits to emulation but there are always people out there who cherish originals.  Some people prefer to sit on their couch with a controller in hand and a game on the TV screen.  Similar to the way some people prefer to read books/journals/etc as opposed to the same material on the computer.

I can tell you one disadvantage of emulators; PS2, Gamecube, Xbox are not properly emulated yet. 

Chris8282

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »
I've been emulating since early 2000 (Since Bleem!), and I've encountered 3 problems that made me look on the internet for a solution. 2 of them were easily solved by pressing F2 for a few seconds (Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile). The Valkyrie Profile problems can be solved by using another emulator other than ePSXe, or changing sound plug-ins, and Chrono Cross, but that problem was solved by going from ePSXe 1.6.0 to 1.5.2. I've emulated just about all major PSX RPGs (Over 30) and many other games and 0 had problems.

Just wanted to clear any misinformation. As far as originals, I have all the games I play in original form. I don't like playing with originals since they are either already very expensive or are gaining value. I don't think I could physically put my Suikoden II into a PSX and play it.

Also playing on your TV (And possibly your couch) can be done by simply plugging-in a cord from the Computer to the TV.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:23:19 pm »
i dont know where cross came into all of this, but from what i read, you guys were talking about the advantages and disadvantages of playing chrono cross on an emulator.
well how about we bring it back to what this post was for: chrono TRIGGER. which as far as im concerned, works absolutely perfect on an emulator, and takes little to no time to start up.
if i could get my hands on chrono trigger for the snes i would no doubt buy it and play the whole adventure over again on its intended console, but those things arent easy to come across (apart from auctions, but i dont shop online)
and as for cross, i bought it at eb games for 20 dollars (they still sell it for some reason), and a psx at a flea market for 15. they both worked fine (i saw worked because now theres a glitch in the game and i cant go any further). the only reason i did all of this was because my computer doesnt have a good enough graphic card to play epsxe. so i cant tell for sure if there are any downfalls to it.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:44 pm »
Also playing on your TV (And possibly your couch) can be done by simply plugging-in a cord from the Computer to the TV.

I don't think it is safe to assume that every one has a couch next to their computer.  TV maybe, my TV is my monitor as a matter of fact...but my couch is inconveniently located....oh and I don't have a USB controller. 

I haven't had any trouble getting games to work on ePSXe, either...well some had glitches but forums helped on that. 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:49 am »
Quote from: placidchap
Similar to the way some people prefer to read books/journals/etc as opposed to the same material on the computer.

No, it's closer to people who like to read hardcovers versus paperbacks. IT'S THE EXACT SAME. It's an emulator because it exactly (in some cases better even) EMULATES the original programs.

Computers can be moved pretty easily if you don't have it in front of your most comfortable seat (one of the stupider anti-emulating arguments people often give).

I also think it's lame to say, "Oh, well, I don't have a controller for my PC." because there are people who 1) don't have the game & 2) don't have the system. It's a redundant point. Personally, buttons are buttons. Unless it's a fighting game or something in which precise d-pad control would be beneficial, I don't see the difference between a keyboard & a controller anyways...

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:05 am »
Neither do I.  But some people would rather use a controller than a keyboard and some people prefer a couch to a chair...oh and did I mention some people like originals vs "fakes."  But who cares?  I don't, I am not anti-emulation, just stating that some people prefer my previous points.  And it isn't exactly the same, but yea hard vs paper is probably a better match.