Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199633 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1545 on: February 13, 2010, 02:31:42 am »
For me...

1. A Link to the Past
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link's Awakening
5. The Wind Waker

Mine are
1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Oracle of Seasons

Please refrain from just making posts of lists as they are not discussions.

Anyway, I've never really been a big Zelda fan. I think Link is a queer little elf boy in a lame outfit he stole from Peter Pan stuck in a constant fetch quest to save a princess *yawn*...but I still greatly enjoyed LttP, OoT & MC (10x better than PH & probably ST too)...

On another note, while continually amazed at how into Halo I've gotten I am still surprised by how much I'm looking forward to Reach. It's looking as big & sweeping as a Bethesda game or something and from the ViDoc thingy (Once More Unto the Breach) it's apparent that a lot of love & hard work is going into it. I'm totally gonna jump in on that online Beta come May 2nd...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 13, 2010, 05:14:09 am »

Yeah, what exactly is going to be different with Halo now that Reach is getting released?

Aside from the storyline (or spin-offs from said story line), different weapons, and grenade peripherals, not much has changed in the series.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:38 am »

Yeah, what exactly is going to be different with Halo now that Reach is getting released?

Aside from the storyline (or spin-offs from said story line), different weapons, and grenade peripherals, not much has changed in the series.
I never really understood the obsession with Halo. I enjoy the multiplayer on occasion, but it's really just a generic, Sci-Fi FPS to me. With the way the market has been flooded with Generic FPSs, which almost all of them have the same control scheme, I find it hard to understand modern gamer. A lot of them only play FPSs, and that bothers me.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:12 am »
i feel like such a loser now. i never really got into zelda in any form. of course ive played it, i just never got into it.
or first person shooters. im not one for those.
though i do love puzzle games. everyone hsould go play tetris.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: February 13, 2010, 11:40:19 pm »
I think what sets Halo apart from, uh...other sci-fi FPSs? Wait, how many of these are there? I guess Unreal is one...Doom could sorta count...and AvP...? I guess I'm out of the loop, idk...Well, anyways, what sets Halo apart from whatever other generic sci-fi FPSs that are out there is attention to detail & balance. The story is good (if you care to pay attention to the canon there certainly is a lot of it) and the music matches the epic, alien landscapes. Add to that one of the largest communities (one that Bungie actually pays attention to! *shock*) and you've got a very solid FPS franchise. I also played the demo for Halo Wars just for kicks and actually enjoyed it (though I only played the first level) which is saying a lot because I UFCKING HATE RTS!! But that's besides the point...

I'm sorry, ZombieBucky, but Tetris is clearly a commie conspiracy...I'll stick with lame ass Bejeweled. >_>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:42:07 pm by V_Translanka »

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 17, 2010, 12:45:18 am »
I think what sets Halo apart from, uh...other sci-fi FPSs? Wait, how many of these are there? I guess Unreal is one...Doom could sorta count...and AvP...? I guess I'm out of the loop, idk...Well, anyways, what sets Halo apart from whatever other generic sci-fi FPSs that are out there is attention to detail & balance. The story is good (if you care to pay attention to the canon there certainly is a lot of it) and the music matches the epic, alien landscapes. Add to that one of the largest communities (one that Bungie actually pays attention to! *shock*) and you've got a very solid FPS franchise. I also played the demo for Halo Wars just for kicks and actually enjoyed it (though I only played the first level) which is saying a lot because I UFCKING HATE RTS!! But that's besides the point...

I'm sorry, ZombieBucky, but Tetris is clearly a commie conspiracy...I'll stick with lame ass Bejeweled. >_>
Every FPS plays the same nowadays. It's kinda sad.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1551 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:43 am »
Welll, this just arrived on the mail:)

33 euro, sealed

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:19 am »
Welll, this just arrived on the mail:)

33 euro, sealed
Nice! Both games are fantastic! Kefka FTW!

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1553 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:59 am »
Kekfa is from VI.
The european version has IV and V
VI was sold separate(wich I also own)

idioticidioms

« Reply #1554 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »
I owned that for a while before it got stolen from me. I also had Chronicles which had FFVI and CT.

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »
Kekfa is from VI.
I thought the US version had 6 as well? regardless, Kefka AND ExDeath are both awesome.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »
Kekfa is from VI.
I thought the US version had 6 as well? regardless, Kefka AND ExDeath are both awesome.

The NA version did have V & VI (we got IV with CT in Chronicles)...but you'll notice that _Janus_ paid Euros for his EU version of Anthologies with IV & V (it's not THAT bad of a pic, I can read the Roman numerals).

...FPSs, which almost all of them have the same control scheme...

I didn't really address this before, but what does it even mean? Same control scheme? Do we really need different games to map grenades to a different button to make them seem unique? What about RPGs? Isn't it the same there? Pretty much every FF has the same button to open the menu screen, but that doesn't change its quality as a game in any way...Am I just reading this part wrong? I don't get your point in how control scheme being consistent in a genre is a bad thing...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:24:28 pm by V_Translanka »

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 17, 2010, 09:50:26 pm »
Sorry, I didn't really clarify on that. I just feel that the FPS Genre is becoming over saturated with the same game in a different package over and over again. Not to say that I don't enjoy a good FPS every now and then, but I feel the market has way too many of them. Most of them are a little too similar for my tastes. They all feel like the same game to me.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1558 on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:39 am »
This just arrived from Holand, and I payed 4,95 euro for each one, both sealed

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1559 on: February 18, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »
Sweet! Anthology is good fun (minus the loading times for FFIV). As for Digital Devil Saga... I have both and need to play more of the first one.

At the moment I'm playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, Pokémon SoulSilver, and Ace Attorney Investigations: Mile Edgeworth. SO4 is great fun so far, the characters are pretty boring and typical but eh... I bought Eternal Sonata too but I haven't taken time to play it yet. AAI is awesome, of course; glad to finally have a new GS/AA game.