Author Topic: "Luminair"  (Read 11939 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: "Luminair"
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 03:30:47 pm »
His element IS HEAVEN.  I wouldn't call Life being "Lightning".  Sure he has a combination of lightning techs and Heavenly techs, but that doesn't make him pure lightning.  And you also have to remember that his element was Heaven or Sky in the japanese version.  Sky, I believe was called "the Heavens" in many things.  It's like saying Marle isn't ice because her elemental header says "water".

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 08:52:51 pm »
Yeah, but who cares if he has a Life spell...so does Marle and she's Water. I don't think there's that much correlation going on there...

Crono's Luminaire & Serge's Luminaire aren't the same (and why are people forgetting the E and the end of Luminaire anyways?)...just look at the Techs. Crono's looks way cooler and has a green tint while Serge's is pure lame whiteness.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:48 pm »
His element IS HEAVEN.  I wouldn't call Life being "Lightning".  Sure he has a combination of lightning techs and Heavenly techs, but that doesn't make him pure lightning.  And you also have to remember that his element was Heaven or Sky in the japanese version.  Sky, I believe was called "the Heavens" in many things.  It's like saying Marle isn't ice because her elemental header says "water".

If they didn't want him to be full Lightning, then why did they give him a Lightning tag instead of heaven or whatever?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 09:39:05 pm »
Censorship, that's why.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 11:48:38 am »
His element IS HEAVEN.  I wouldn't call Life being "Lightning".

I, however, would call "Life" a "Lightning" spell. I would propose that you need to become more familiar with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Of course, that book doesn't prove that Life is the result of a lightning spell, just that the cultural precursor is present. Add to that the fact that muscles respond to electricity, as does the human brain, lightning/electricity then seems to be a rather nice explanation. Marle, a water user, would then produce a different Life effect (note, she doesn't use the exact same spell; she uses "Life 2").

But why oh why did they name Luminaire "Shining"?! Now every time Crono casts that spell I'll hear Danny Lloyd saying "Redrum, redrum."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:30:48 pm by Thought »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 10:34:59 pm »
Actually, thinking about it...that might work if you accept that the character ISN'T dead, but only KO'd because a jolt of lightning could easily get them up and so could a splash of water, yeah?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 03:27:11 pm »
I could see your point of view there but...I really can't tell.  Life doesn't seem so lightningish for me.  You would think if it's lightning it would show a jolt of it, but not angels coming down and regiving you life.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 09:44:05 pm »
Maybe they're not angels, but actually some kind of Lightning elementals! Dun dun dun! Or maybe angels are the only things that can use the limited amount of lightning necessary to shock someone back into consciousness without, y'know, killing them more instead...It's like those respiratory shock paddle thingies!

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 10:15:42 pm »
Sorry there cherubims not elementals,and They don't have paddles just little sparkles.

Edit: Sorry the pic could be better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:21:19 pm »
I said LIKE the paddles...the sparkles are obviously the little shocks of Lightning Magic! Or maybe they're golden showers like I used to think...Pick yer poison.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 11:12:40 am »
Well we have a problem if we take the graphics of the spells too literally. The Life spell uses clearly angel-like figures to resurrect the dead. These cannot be Tennin (the Japanese equivalent of angels) for the simple reason that they do not seem to be particularly beautiful, they are not wearing 5 color kimonos, or scarves, and Tennin are rarely shown with wings. Thus, we must assume that these are the western concept of angels, not the eastern. We might associate the eastern version of the "heaven" element as having lightning spells, but the angles represented are western and a western version of the "heaven" element would not have lightning spells. Thus, from either perspective, Chrono's element can't logically be "heaven" since it negates either his life or lightning spells.

Obviously the solution is that Chrono's magic comes from the Nordic gods, Thor specifically (thus, not Heaven element but Asgard Element). Thor controls lightning and thunder (through his hammer, mjolnir), his hammer can bring things back to life (he can eat his goats then revive them the next day to still pull his wagon), AND he has been known to dress up like a wee little girl (hence, the appearance of cherubim).

This obviously had to be censored in the American version as NoA didn't want to promote neopaganism and it obviously had to be replaced with a more recognizable concept in Japan as there really isn't a Japanese word for Thor/Asgard.

Or maybe we might be reading into gameplay elements a little too much.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 02:53:06 pm »
But in Western culture, angels and cherubs typically live in the clouds. Lightning and thunder come from the clouds. And the word "heaven" can refer to the lovelhy fluffy afterlife place, or clouds up in the sky, or just the sky itself in all its starry glory.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:49 pm »
Ah, so you are effectively stating that the element name would be better referenced as "Clouds" rather than "Lightning" or "Heaven."

Makes sense, especially as heaven could reference outerspace, as you pointed out, and outerspace contains black holes, dark matter, and other "Shadow/Dark" related spell effects. :wink:

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 06:22:21 pm »
Outerspace is darkness...Just mainly darkness with a lot of stars, that can give you the concept of "Dark" there.

Chrono Omen

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:16 pm »
Luminair is a lightning spell. Crono's element is lightning. Lightning can be associated with life. Such as when you die, do doctors not use an electric current to bring you back?