Author Topic: Fall of Guardia  (Read 1317 times)

kamrom

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Fall of Guardia
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:56 pm »
While Im sure this has been talked about countless times, I had a theory about why Crono and friends didnt intervene: It was wrong. This fight (as far as they knew at least) was a fight between non magical human nations. The awesome power of Crono, Marle and Lucca would constitute a war crime in our world, if used in that situation. If they started trying to force events to a certain path by using their magical powers against the non-magical Porre armies, How would they be any different from Magus, or from Queen Zeal? Or even Lavos?

So, thats my idea. They didnt fight because it would have made them the same as the monsters they destroyed; people willing to dominate others, who cannot possibly fight back, through the corrupting power (magic) of Lavos. Where did they go, what did they do...This is beyond the knowledge presented in the games. But i doubt any of them couldve used their powers in good faith against a human army that was no more evil than any other army.

They are Good Guys, after all.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of Guardia
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:14:16 am »
I wouldn't say that it's completely true. Can't say if they had that mentality during those times, but there are reasons enough agianst it.

First, no matter what the situation is, doesn't change the fact their country is being attacked. Not to mention Marle and Crono are the rulers of the country (unless Marle's father were still alive at the time). They coulnd't possibly think of abandoning their friends and family just because they they consider their involvement as a bad thing.

Second, Porre wasn't just soldiers and techonology, at least not at first. They had magic, or at least, the Elements. Perhaps not in Keystone T-1 (That's the one pre-ElNido, right?), but all the other times the Acacia Dragoons came to fight from El Nido, which meant they had Elements with them. Perhaps not as strong as their magic, but that was still an advantage over the Guardian soldiers. No, not just an advantage, they got away with killing every soldier 'till the last and got the castle burned. That was a curb-stomp.

Lastly, and this one is more subjective depending if you see the Temporal Vortexes stuff as really happening, but they now imply Dalton was the one behind the whole thing. They certianly couldn't just not act and let him get away with it. And Dalton is clearly a power-hungry revenge-seeker individual, he has to be stopped either way.

Well, that's my opinion on the matter...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:29 am »
To expand upon Acacia Sgt's points, Dalton himself is a magic user. His joining forces with Porre is a significant threat to Guardia, which I believe would warrant an intervention from Crono and friends. Also, considering they just altered the timeline to their preference, I doubt they would step down and allow the natural order of things to destroy everything they worked for (though I could always be wrong).

But it is an interesting theory, and definitely one that should be considered.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:50:19 am »
That's actually a possible theory, that they guilted themselves into not using such destructive force as their magic. Imagine what terrible damage Crono and Lucca could have done with Luminaire and Flare. It's also a point that Lucca spoke of (or at least wrote about) her regret over changing the timelines and damning the other timelines and the people along with them to the Darkness Beyond Time. As is known, in our own world and that of the Chrono series, time will fix itself. Events will always end up happening at some point. All that meddling with time does is avert it for a spell before it or something equivalent happens later. They may have defeated Lavos and prevented it in particular from destroying everything, but it would end anyway that millions upon millions would end up dying from some other catastrophe; perhaps an asteroid crashes to Earth, or, so God help us, another of Lavos's kind drops down. In that train of thought, pretty much everything they've done would only last for so long, and if htat's what they would come to believe, then it would prevent them from interfering. If the people of Guardia were to be slaughtered as they were, why not let the people, who would end up being killed in some other war in all likelihood, die then and at least be replaced with those who were developing, rather than have those who were so much more capable die later? It would certainly weigh heavily on all of their minds that what they did, for the most part, was all for nothing, and most likely make them succumb to despair, and essentially want to just get it over with.

This, of course, is all just speculation over the possibility of whether or not they would know, if not outright accept that certain things are inevitable. So they managed to restore a desert into a forest, but did it truly matter? No, it did not. Whether or not you do that particular sidequest, by the time Lavos springs from the earth it has all reverted back to desert sands again. Not quite a thousand years, at least, once the forest has been completed, and it's gone again. That sort of thinking is nearly as fatalistic as Schala's views on things, but it isn't as if they could make a true impact. Let it happen while things are still healthy enough to heal over rather than when it would be too late for said healing to do much good. On those premises, it would at least be more beneficial to let things take their course and let time march on again as it fixes what was done, and allow what was there to finish growing rather than have something happen later that could end up destroying any chance for the world to reach its full potential.

...Whew. I talked way too much there. Also, note that where I am, it's ten 'til three in the morning, so if I don't make too much sense, then I apologize.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:34 am »
it's also possible that Crono and Marle (and anyone else) simply weren't there when Porre attacked Guardia.  With Dalton around, he could've set traps, baited them away, etc. before an army showed up at Guardia's gates.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:16:30 am »
it's also possible that Crono and Marle (and anyone else) simply weren't there when Porre attacked Guardia.  With Dalton around, he could've set traps, baited them away, etc. before an army showed up at Guardia's gates.

Sorry, couldn't resist... :lol:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:20:53 am by Acacia Sgt »

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:19:06 am »
it's also possible that Crono and Marle (and anyone else) simply weren't there when Porre attacked Guardia.  With Dalton around, he could've set traps, baited them away, etc. before an army showed up at Guardia's gates.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/9/90/Daltonsgrandscheme.png

Sorry, couldn't resist... :lol:

:lol: I'm seriously amazed how well Xenterex quote fits with the little comic

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:45 am »
So, they are actually banned by ____ for using WMD.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:26 pm »
egad, that was done back in 2008!?

Hilarious comic.