Author Topic: Worst and best subject in school!!!!!  (Read 6408 times)

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Worst and best subject in school!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 01:10:32 am »
I have biology this year does it have formulas???? damn hope not.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 02:06:02 am »

Not in early grades. I never really liked biology myself, for that very reason: I'm good with formulas, and variable manipulation. Just so long as it doesn't get, as I said, beyond the 300 level, where one must intuitively find solutions to differential equations. But don't worry, you likely won't be seeing any formulas or, if you do, they will be rare.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 03:22:08 am »

Not in early grades. I never really liked biology myself, for that very reason: I'm good with formulas, and variable manipulation. Just so long as it doesn't get, as I said, beyond the 300 level, where one must intuitively find solutions to differential equations. But don't worry, you likely won't be seeing any formulas or, if you do, they will be rare.

I think the reason I'm good at biology (beyond simply interest in it) is the same reason I'm good with literature. I'm able to think very abstractly, very easily. I love all the interconnectedness of ecosystems, the awe inspiring mechanism of evolution, inter and intra species relationships. It's all so beautiful. Damn, it's good to be alive.

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 06:14:35 am »
Languages (Portuguese/French/Spanish), History classes (as long as they're not American history because that is boring), Business courses and other crap.

I HATE MATH, English, American anything that you have to take in school and did I ever mention Math because I really hate it.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 06:22:04 am »
I like any subject as long as it doesn't require memorization.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 01:38:59 am »
My worst subject is would probably have to be calculus. (Math)

However, best subjects are any science classes, such as Earth Science (geology), Astronomy and Biology. Never really liked Chemistry a whole lot.

Funny, my Dad is the chemist of the family... heh

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 05:32:26 pm »
This may sound like a cop-out, but in the lower grades I didn’t have a favorite subject. For one thing, we spent the entire day with just one teacher, which blurred the lines between subjects somewhat. For another thing, what excited me the most was not a particular field of study, but the opportunity to be curious, to be creative, or to read—and because at least one of those opportunities would arise in every subject, I often enjoyed different parts of the day the most. For the same reasons, or perhaps also for lack of memory, I don’t seem to recall a least favorite subject either, nor could I tell you where my best and worst grades were.

In the upper grades, each subject began to take on its own distinct feel, which was further emphasized by the fact that we now had different teachers. In all honesty it was the teacher and the atmosphere of the classroom that had the greatest impact on whether I enjoyed a subject or not. The same held true for whether I was good at a subject; at that point in my life, I needed the teacher more than the textbook. For instance, it took me years to appreciate how much I had learned in my god-awful art history AP class, despite hating that class and earning mediocre grades. That teacher had been terrible at making the class enjoyable, yet somehow he had excelled at actually teaching the elements and principles of art. By high school, I liked most of my classes, and I was aware of the great benefit my education was effecting in me.

I had an intrinsic artistic genius, and a very well-developed logical mind for scientific and methodical learning. My favorite kind of work was creative self-expression. Usually that was most likely in the language arts (later, “English”) classes, although it often came up in social studies (“history”) and the electives, too. I scored ahead of the curve on pretty much everything. I was at my apex when I got to write, as writing was like a direct plug-in to my lively imagination.

Throughout my K-12 education, I had four major problems. The first was boring subject matter and a remedial environment. This made some tasks interminably boring, and caused me to get poor marks in fourth grade when I stopped doing my homework. Reading was a big issue; in any grade, whenever we read aloud in class, the pace was way too slow—and yet reading ahead was not allowed. (I usually did it anyway.)

My second major problem was P.E. Who can say which Circle of Hell came up with the idea of promising kids the chance to play and then making them suffer for an hour instead? Nominally, physical education was divided over the course of a year into several units, each of which focused on a particular sport or athletic concept. When it comes to sports, I’ve always preferred the intimacy and privacy of a long bike ride over the hectic hustle and bustle of a basketball court. Unfortunately, my preferences were usually opposed to whatever we were actually studying.

Nominally, we studied units…but in practice every day of the year was the same damn routine: Even during the fun units, like street hockey or tennis, we barely ever got to do the actual activity! Instead, the P.E. period consisted of dressing up in our uniforms—a novelty that wore off way too many years before I completed my “physical education”—then trotting out to the blacktop in order to wait and wait through roll-call, suffering through some military-style group stretches, running a warm-up lap, and only getting to enjoy the actual sport for ten or fifteen minutes before regrouping for cool-down and the dress back to our regular clothes. And that was just four days a week. The remaining day was “Mile Day.” Now, there are many forms of exercise I enjoy, or am willing to keep an open mind about. But running laps around a racing track or stadium is not one of them. ‘Nuff said.

My third major problem was math. I was a whiz at math until algebra kicked in at eighth grade. I want to blame part of it on my algebra teacher: Every period we’d talk about basketball for anywhere from five minutes to, on rare occasions, the entire period. At the time it was nice to get out of doing math work. Then the end of the year came around and we were only eight chapters through the book. I missed out on half my algebra education. After that, math was always my hardest subject to learn, and the one in which I earned my lowest grades. I always felt like I was playing catch-up. Geometry didn’t make any sense to me the year I took it. The next year, in Algebra II, it made perfect sense instantly…but Algebra II did not. Repeat ad nauseam.

I love the beauty of calculus…the way it reveals the truth of the world in its most naked form. Math became immensely interesting in eleventh grade, and I never looked back. And goodness knows that, as an engineer, I get to do plenty of math! But I just don’t have the right grasp of it in my head. It is as though I think about it the wrong way, and have to translate it from across a wide gulf.

The last and least of my major problems was grammar. Just before tenth grade I took the entrance test for the Honors level of the English class. It was a grammar test, and I failed miserably! But I talked asked the teacher to be let in provisionally, and he acceded. That was probably the most important decision I ever made about my education. As a kid I was a voracious reader, and I could write very well for my age, but my understanding of English structure had no formal training whatsoever. I could do it, but I didn’t really understand what I was doing. Tenth grade changed all of that. I developed a formal understanding of grammar—a very difficult ordeal!—and was able to combine my intuitive knowledge from all that reading with my new structural expertise to form probably the best grammatical intellect you’re likely to come across—at least in English.

The upper grades give me the chance to say that I most enjoyed science, reading, and writing. And I did enjoy those, but it’s not as simple as that. A proper education does not practice exclusion at this point.

Finally, at the college level my favorite subjects have always been the higher classes. That’s where the real education is; the entry-level courses are mostly weeders with little to offer that I hadn’t already learned in high school. My favorite class was called “Environmental Changes in the Glacial Ages,” which was a 400-level class well outside my engineering major devoted to exactly what the title says. Best class I ever took! The worst class was something out of the English department taught by a TA so pompous that I used my annual free drop to end the class. Sadly, that seems to be the trend. In K-12, the best learning is in the social sciences and the arts. But at the college level, the real wisdom is mostly locked up in the hard sciences, engineering, and medicine—the quantifiable fields of study that are not ruled by the unproven opinions of well-regarded “experts.”

I guess that means we should all become artists first and scientists second.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 06:38:46 pm »
Ugh. I absolutely suck at Maths. I can't believe how terrible I am at it, even when I try my best.

I love English, though. I think I have one of those 'creative minds'. I love writing and making stories and such. So damn fun.  :D

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 12:49:11 pm »
Sorry to ask, but what is K-12?

Here, I can love every lesson with the rioght teachers, yet hate every with the wrong ones(some people can explain things far better).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 02:42:52 pm »
It's kindergarten through twelfth grade. 13 grades total, unless you go to "T-1", which is where they put kids who aren't ready for first grade. Or so they claim! In truth, T-1 is an abysmal failure which only exists because kids aren't learning to read quickly enough. It is a gigantic waste of time in which all you do is play with toys and engage in inane diversions. I avoided it through literacy, and made these observations on random visits during elementary school. As a result, I was a year younger than almost everyone else (they came from T-1).

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 09:30:21 am »
I don't remember learning anything in our kindergarden, just building sand castles and playing with Dublo(the big Lego stuff).

We have 3 different qualifications, the first after 9 years of school(I think it's called secondary school graduation), 10 years for the "middle" one(junior high[amer.]/secondary modern school[brit.] graduation), and whole 13 for the highest one called "Abitur"("German university entrance qualification" is it called on[or in?] my online dictionair). 13 + ~2 years kindergarden means you will be ~ 20 years old when you finish school, then you have to get a place at a university or try to start a training(like when you want to become a baker, you have to learn for a few years) etc..

Oh yeah, and for a even more offtopicness, a few years ago I always said "Childrengarden" because I didn't know americans call it kindergarden, too.

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 01:27:12 pm »
What would you people say is the best subjuct take in the morning.........I never really paid attention to the k- 12 and things.

Rat

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 01:45:32 pm »
I developed a formal understanding of grammar—a very difficult ordeal!—and was able to combine my intuitive knowledge from all that reading with my new structural expertise to form probably the best grammatical intellect you’re likely to come across—at least in English.

:shock:  Congratulations. You are now one of the most arrogant people I know.

What would you people say is the best subjuct take in the morning.........I never really paid attention to the k- 12 and things.

Hrm, depends on each person I guess, and how they react to things in the morning... if you're not a morning person and not likely to be able to keep track of things that are difficult for you early in the morning, then it's best not to take something you find hard. And if you want to pay attention during a class you enjoy simply because you love the subject, you don't want to take it first thing in that case either. So something easy that doesn't matter too much to you.

If you are a morning person though and are awake and bright and alert first thing, you may as well get your worst subjects out of the way first.

Does that make sense?

The only thing I remember from kindergarten was a few PE classes, a dorky boy that wanted me to be his girlfriend and I said yes because he gave me free stuff (I didn't know what a girlfriend was),  and having a rival that I always challenged to races to see who was faster. I remember very little about the actual schooling. Which is probably pretty true of my entire K-12 education - the education aspect of it doesn't figure very prominently in my memory for the most part.

It's kindergarten through twelfth grade. 13 grades total, unless you go to "T-1", which is where they put kids who aren't ready for first grade. Or so they claim! In truth, T-1 is an abysmal failure which only exists because kids aren't learning to read quickly enough. It is a gigantic waste of time in which all you do is play with toys and engage in inane diversions. I avoided it through literacy, and made these observations on random visits during elementary school. As a result, I was a year younger than almost everyone else (they came from T-1).

Hmm, I've never heard of T-1.  It must be a regional thing.
Are kids really expected to be able to read in kindergarten? It seems from my report cards for kindergarten they had me learn the alphabet and numbers and other fairly basic stuff that can be learned at home - and from what I can remember, I learned to actually read and write in the first grade. Did they do it differently for you?

"Childrengarden"

Sounds ominously like a place to grow children as food.  :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 03:39:29 pm »
It's some totally arbitrary decision they make. I went into first grade with basic reading skills, and the other kids could read, too. But the decision is made after kindergarten. I should probably research this a little more.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 04:45:27 pm »
Well, at high-school I used to like Physics and Ancient History a lot. Oh, and PE of course. A whole morning playing soccer or skipping class with my ex-girlfriend playing... Snooker(8)).. Great Thursdays those were =]

The subjects which I'd have the highest grades, though, would be Portuguese, English (there are no simpler subjects than Languages =]), and Literature, even though I'd almost never read any of the required books (unless they were of non-Brazilian Literature, thing that was sadly rare at my School).

At College I have been liking Japanese and Japanese Culture a lot. It's a shame that you have so little subjects from your emphasis available soon in the course... After that, I like Linguistics a lot. It's funny to schematically see the power of language through a bunch of abstract concepts and see that we hold the power of the Universe in our capacity to play with it. ; )

And, well, I still do great in the Brazilian Literature subject, even though I read nothing until now. Let's see how I'll do this semester. Huh  8)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 05:48:16 pm by cupn00dles »