Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 483105 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4890 on: January 27, 2010, 05:20:29 am »
Totally muffed an open mic earlier tonight.  Unacceptable performance.  I'd like to say, "never again" but  that's not wise.  Gotta get past it and get better.  Next shows will be better no doubt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:22:38 am by Shee »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4891 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »
My left ear is acting weird, feels partially deaf. I had an infection in it a few years back but I think it's just clogged up. Tried cleaning it out and no good... Maybe I should see a doctor.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4892 on: January 27, 2010, 03:35:12 pm »
I attended the first atheist/agnostic club meeting last night. There didn't seem to be too many humanists at all in the mix; I was the only person among 25 who even dropped the term while we talked about personal stories and meaning in life. I did have a nice time refuting the idea that people touch "the light" when near death (it's a surge of brain chemicals) and attacking Deepak Chopra, fraudster extraordinaire. I even had a chance to turn the Carl Sagan "we are dust in the wind" thing on its head and praise the wonder of conscious and sentience.

There were some good social activists who desire a more intelligent world in attendance. But the situation was frustrating. They were all disheveled-looking and pursuing career paths that would grant them very limited power, and I got the feeling that their social causes were more a cause to socialize than a common thread of purpose. One's going to join the Peace Corps, and yet another wants to live in some native village and learn crafts. They're full of good opinions about the state of the world and politics, and yet...

Who'll take them seriously? They look unkempt and derelict. Many of them don't seem that interested or passionate about their causes, and most don't have a clear plan of action for what they intend to do. It's depressing. It comforts me somewhat, as my career, despite the lack of passion or interest I have in it, will provide me with the appearance, authority, and power to actually effect changes upon the world, even if fortune renders them small. I can't imagine how helpless I'd truly feel if I were a social activist and humanist without any kind of power or plan.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: January 27, 2010, 03:46:39 pm »
I did have a nice time refuting the idea that people touch "the light" when near death (it's a surge of brain chemicals)...

Well that's some poor reasoning. Eat a lime; a surge of brain chemicals will tell you that it is sour. That an experience correlates with mental activity is only to be expected.

Curiously, the brain chemicals actually add a hint of truth to the individual's statement; from their perspective, they truly did "touch the light" when near death. The problem, of course, is between experience and reality. This is the force behind the old philosophical question of how we know what we experience truly exists. Am I a real person, for example, or just some aberrant portion of your own mind imagining this post?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »
Am I a real person, for example, or just some aberrant portion of your own mind imagining this post?

You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
I did have a nice time refuting the idea that people touch "the light" when near death (it's a surge of brain chemicals)
Discarding all the fruitcake divinity stuff around 'the light,' it is an interesting space to think about, that little pocket before you lose consciousness or die, whichever.  I'm reminded of a few items, among them my almost - lit. about a foot - being hit by a car, crossing the street. I did spend a good day or so, questioning 'who, what just really happened??' I think there are different degrees and types of trauma that you can experience in these cases, whether it's a JOLT like being hit by a car, or something revisionist - when you look back on a childhood memory and suddenly realize a horrible truth or context for things.

What really comes to me is the experience of seizures.  The space in between the realization and convulsion.  The psychic aura you experience right before them is as close to 'the light' as I can imagine.  And they take you to the verge of death at times as well, literally, LoL.  But the warning signs are so out there.  Early on when I was 5-6, it would be simple, visual distortions.  Things moving. Vague sounds.  Up to my early teens, I would always see the same thing: 3-D shapes and a gently moving, colourful poster that used to be at the library as a kid.  There would be a spinning sensation as if looking deep into a starry night sky, and then I'd black out.

Nothing quite so interesting these days.  The visual aspect is gone, replaced by a sharp ringing in the ear and a hot flash.  But I'll never forget that recurring, dizzy, colourful slow-mo image from when I was a kid / teen.

So the *idea* of seeing 'the light' near death doesn't seem so absurd to me, personally.  The very *sense* of reaching a peak, just before giving in, and seeing, sensing *something* be it light or whatever.  It's a curious mental space.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: January 28, 2010, 01:27:16 pm »
This morning I finished my latest viewing of the Cosmos documentary series, and caught a headline in the New York Times: Andrew Lange, Scholar of the Cosmos, Dies at 52

Ah, drat. Drat, drat. When these types of people take their own lives, it's always even more disappointing than usual. It seems like so much more of a waste. Like any human, I play favorites, and intelligent humans are my favorite.

When I was younger, I figured that most folks who committed suicide would do so at a relatively young age, but, as I later learned, this is not necessarily the case. Many people survive and even thrive decades, only to lapse into despair after all that, or to let their guard down and succumb to despair that was always there. I have an ex-friend who I strongly suspect will give in to suicide someday. Friends and family members have tried to do it. And the dean of my College of Engineering, who personally taught my freshmate interest group class, the auspiciously named Dean Denise D. Denton, would go on to the California university system and reach the rank of chancellor only to "successfully" take her own life less than a decade later. So senseless.

I support people's right to take their own life, but it is so senseless. You don't get another one. How sad, then, that even intelligent people like Drs. Lang and Denton, who presumably understand this, would be so consumed by despair to commit themselves willingly to oblivion while still in the thick of life.

It isn't necessarily the wonders of the cosmos that drive a gifted scientist or engineer to destroy themselves, but it surely can contribute. The cosmos seems neither concerned for us nor against us, but only indifferent. It is an intimidating subject of conversation. Be it the shape of the universe or the peril of our own species, there is so much to learn within the treasure chests of knowledge that would shake many kinds of person. The broader perspectives which knowledge can bring, is as dangerous to the untempered mind as a chain fission reaction is to the unshielded body. Why do so many people willingly, as adults, throw their minds into the pit of a religion? Why do so many more simply refuse to ponder anything more remote than the latest text message or their next meal? It is because when we evolved the power to think abstractly, we got more than we bargained for.

An endless universe, expanding forever into a filmy haze of subatomic particles. Dr. Lange helped to prove that this is the future ahead of us. No civilizations, and not even the inviting familiarity of hydrogen atoms to light suns. To a futurist like me, that's not simply dismaying. It's downright frightening. As surely as we are mortal, so too is all of existence doomed to die. As with our own lives, the only comforting part of this foretelling is the incredible time scale involved.

I don't judge anyone who contemplates suicide, nor anyone who actually goes through with it. I call it a waste. I call it a disappointment. But I cannot refute their motives. The mind is a personal place. I myself had a suicidal thought once, lasting for a few hours late one night during the spring break of the end of my senior high school year. I can still remember what it was like, just vaguely, to suddenly want nothing and feel all walls closing in. It was terrible, an emotion so vile that I could neither repulse it nor reconcile it, brought on by my acknowledgment that my childhood dream of ruling the universe and living forever was not going to happen. So, possessed as ever I have been of my dispassionate second self, I figured simply to wait it out. I played endless games of solitaire on the computer. Bill Gates and those silly electronic leaping cards helped me through a tough spot.

So far it is the only time I have ever seriously felt suicidal. Hopefully there will never be another moment like it again in my life. But who really knows what the future holds, when it comes to things like that? I'm better composed than most people. And I seem to have a healthier outlook on life than most people do. That gives me some hope for self.

Ah, but what a loss it is when others don't make it...especially when those others where on the upper end of the spectrum of our human character.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4897 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »
Absolutely every metal surface, door handle, and water fountain in this school has shocked me today. I'm almost afraid to open doors here because of the impromptu "elctro-shock therapy".
The person who had this computer last class turned it off before he left (derp), and when I went to turn it on again, lo and behold, I get shocked again! This time it made a huge, bright spark. It was kinda pretty, but very bright (and painful). Stupid doors!

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: January 28, 2010, 08:17:36 pm »
holy shit.
j.d. salinger is dead.
and i love 'the catcher in the rye'.  :(

in other news, mia and i are still fighting. im really hoping things will work themselves out, but im starting to doubt it. maybe i should look into other girls/guys.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: January 29, 2010, 03:08:47 am »
I don't, don't, don't like being hit on by guys.  Especially if they know that I'm taken.  It creeps me the fuck out.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4900 on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:23 am »
Son of a bitch, country music!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4901 on: January 29, 2010, 12:54:13 pm »

This.

And Green Day.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:35 pm »
I find some of it quite good, and some of it sounds like a hick plucking strings. :?

In fact this is one of my favorite songs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:06:05 pm by KebreI »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: January 29, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
ZeaLitY said something in this thread that I agree with.

The world is going to end.  :shock:

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: January 29, 2010, 05:24:27 pm »
ZeaLitY said something in this thread that I agree with.

The world is going to end.  :shock:

And then what?  Is that it?  Is that what humanity gets to look forward to?

The picture we have painted here is not optimistic. If, as the current evidence suggests, we live in a cosmological constant dominated universe, the boundaries of empirical knowledge will continue to decrease with time. The universe will become noticeably less observable on a time-scale which is fathomable. Moreover, in such a universe, the days—either literal or metaphorical—are numbered for every civilization. More generally, perhaps surprisingly, we find that eternal sentient material life is implausible in any universe.  - Krauss, L. M. and G. D. Starkman. 2000. Life, The Universe, and Nothing: Life and Death in an Ever-Expanding Universe. Astrophys. J. 531: 22-30.

It is clear that the universe had a beginning, but it also has no end. Moreover, the nature of its laws of thermodynamics and dark energy guarantee that the universe will eventually destroy all life, knowledge, and consciousness as it suffers permanent heat death. This is the ultimate "hope" that humanity has for its future. IMHO, it's kind of bleak and pessimistic to just... well, accept it.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:26:17 pm by GenesisOne »