Author Topic: Play a chrono trigger DS Rom hack on your DS  (Read 3967 times)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Play a chrono trigger DS Rom hack on your DS
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:10 pm »
I'm to lazy to see if there's another thread like this- so if there is I apologise.

However, for christmas my sister got the most interesting device called Cyclo DS evolution, it plays music amongst other things, like DS Roms off the computer.

It unnerved me that she got Chrono trigger on her DS in a blink of an eye with this thing.

I don't know if hacking chrono trigger for the DS is possible (because i'm not done with Chrono trigger DS and don't come to this part of the site because i'm avoiding spoilers)  if it isn't, i'm sure it soon will be, and if and when (if it already hasn't been done) a chrono trigger DS  rom is hacked and put on this lovely site, one who owned a Cyclo Ds Evolution could grab it and play the hacked version on a Nintendo DS.

However, I plead that you buy Chrono trigger DS, before touching a chrono trigger DS rom.

More information about the Cyclo DS Evolution here: http://www.gameboy-advance.net/ds-lite/cyclods.htm

As an interesting side note:

I did try the SNES Roms in it, and it hasn't worked for me, but that doesn't mean there isn't a way though.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:09:15 pm by TheMage »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Play a chrono trigger DS Rom hack on your DS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:50:31 pm »
Can it play GBA ROMs?

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »
Yes,  and no. the GBA roms show up and theoretically could be played but when I click it it says a compatible slot 2 device was not found, so i'm thinking thats because the cyclo Ds evolution goes in the slot 1 where the DS games go and it doesnt in the game boy slot, i'm sure theres a solution but i'm afraid its buying a cyclo evolution for a GBA if there even is one or maybe something I havent thought of hmm.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »
So this is one of those things like r4 or w/e, then...? And no, ROMs will never be hosted or even linked to on this site.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:08 pm »
Lemme guess, Trans, we don't want to piss Square off, correct?

:picardno

Ugh, those property-anal assholes.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:23 pm »
And this isn't talk about a ROM hack, really, it doesn't seem...I don't even know how far along the DS hacking community is (or, in fact, if it even exists as DS emulating still isn't perfected)...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:41:15 pm »
I've managed to hack the game's text, but that kind of hacking tends to be the simplest kind.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:15 am »
I don't see the point in using ROMs of games that are readily available for honest purchase anyways.  For older shit like SNES, SFC, and NES games, I'll use emulated ROMs if I have too.

Some people are tightfisted or don't want to spend money on anything, I understand, but I always preferred to physically own games.  Pack rat mentality I guess.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:16 am »
While it doesn't apply to DS emulation yet, it's harder to save state & fast forward without ROMs...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:25 am »
So this is one of those things like r4 or w/e, then...?

Yeah, Cyclo's a DS cartridge that runs roms off of an inserted SD microcard.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »
I wasn't sure how far the DS Rom hacking was yet or if its even possible, I just thought, it'd be neat to play a hack on the DS. I was in visioning that crimson echoes on my DS would be so neat, but the cyclo Ds doesn't work with .SMC (sulk) (as far as I can tell)

Buuuut maybe one day, if rom hacking ever perfects for DS games, we could use the Cyclo evolution to play a chrono hack on a DS, to do this we could use an IPS patch (or something like it) of the hack from this site like we use for the SNES hacks going on and attach it to a chrono DS rom- it will be assumed you have a rom this site doesn't have it or links- and one could download the hack onto the cyclo evolution and play a hacked version on a DS.

(am I making sense? I've had two gallons of coffee and I'm rambling, I know)

However unless Temporal Flux can be adapted for the DS chrono trigger this may be a while, and I'm just thinking way to far ahead.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »
Indeed. I mean, we're making serious headway on SNES ROM-hacking, now--roughly 13 or 14 years after the game came out--so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes quite a while for us to get to hacking DS games.

Now hacking SNES ROMS/hacks onto the DS...perhaps this isn't too far off...

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
Indeed. I mean, we're making serious headway on SNES ROM-hacking, now--roughly 13 or 14 years after the game came out--so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes quite a while for us to get to hacking DS games.

If we could get that to work, that would be amazing! So far I cant get it  snes roms to work on the Cyclo Ds evolution thingy, but that doesn't mean thats the only way, i'm not quite sure what a wi fi does hmm.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:00 am »

Be an interesting development.  Even if entirely not-for-profit though, a copyright infringement statement looms in the future.