Author Topic: Anime conventions?  (Read 498 times)

Ramsus

Anime conventions?
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:19:47 am »
I just got back from my first anime convention about a week ago. I went to SacAnime with a friend of mine from post. It seemed fairly small, but during the day it was pretty lively, and sometimes it seemed like we were the only people who weren't cosplaying.

I entered the digital and regular art contests, but I was really short on time and did really badly (Note to self: apparently 30-minutes is NOT enough, especially when it's right before the deadline and your friend keeps calling you).

The panels and events were pretty interesting though. Crispin Freeman held a voice-dubbing demo with sort of a on-the-go studio he brought with him, and Spike Spencer gave a lot of insight into the voice acting business. I also caught some interesting information on how the animation business works and what tools and processes they use, but I had to miss most of the panels on those topics, along with the basic animation classes.

The drive up there sucked though. It took us nearly 5 hours after an already long and busy week. My friend still had to do all his laundry after we got there too.

Anyway, this being my only experience so far, I'm curious about other people's experiences with conventions and what not. Anyone here go to these things/cosplay/sell art/profit/whatever?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Anime conventions?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:18 pm »
Whoa, you went to SacAnime!? I went too! Shit, how creepy.

Trust me, you weren't the only non-cosplayer. All my friends but me dressed up as characters from Naruto.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:38 pm »
Crispin Freeman... Gawd, I am so jealous of you. He's like, my favourite voice actor, especially for his role as Albedo in Xenosaga.

Ramsus

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:58 pm »
Crispin Freeman... Gawd, I am so jealous of you. He's like, my favourite voice actor, especially for his role as Albedo in Xenosaga.

I kind of like his style. He's the only other person I remember seeing walking around at any point wearing a button up shirt and jeans that fit.

He also seemed like a really good guy, especially considering how he was able to manage all the fans and what not, even when they'd ask stupid questions. Overall, I was quite impressed with his professionalism and composure.

Anyway, I have some videos of his voice-dubbing session that my friend took. They're low quality (My Canon SD isn't exactly a camcorder), but the sound's passable so I might put a few up. The first person who attempted dubbing was really amazing, even after considering that she had had a decent amount of theater experience.

Trust me, you weren't the only non-cosplayer. All my friends but me dressed up as characters from Naruto.

Did you know that there was quite a bit of military there? I recognized some people doing FF7 cosplay; like this one guy I see around post every other day was a really amazing Sephiroth, and my friend's roommate was a really good Vincent.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
See any Sephiroth girls? And did you catch Quinton Flynn walking around with Jeff Nimoy?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:15:16 pm »

Did you know that there was quite a bit of military there? I recognized some people doing FF7 cosplay; like this one guy I see around post every other day was a really amazing Sephiroth, and my friend's roommate was a really good Vincent.

I noticed, but at first I kind of assumed it was a bunch of people cosplaying for some obscure manga or something to tell you the truth. Then one of my friends said; "No man, those are the real deal." I felt kind of embarrassed.

Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »
See any Sephiroth girls? And did you catch Quinton Flynn walking around with Jeff Nimoy?

No. Also, who and who?

I noticed, but at first I kind of assumed it was a bunch of people cosplaying for some obscure manga or something to tell you the truth. Then one of my friends said; "No man, those are the real deal." I felt kind of embarrassed.

Honestly, I don't remember seeing any military actually dressed as military there. I didn't do a whole lot of walking and looking around at people though, and when I did, I felt like I was mostly surrounded by kids.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:22 pm »
Quinton Flynn's Reno from AC. Likes to go to conventions. He was also the second season Jonny Quest!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:08:20 am »
Honestly, I don't remember seeing any military actually dressed as military there. I didn't do a whole lot of walking and looking around at people though, and when I did, I felt like I was mostly surrounded by kids.

Wow, then I guess they really were cosplaying for some obscure manga. Makes me feel less stupid.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 06:29:08 am »
Quinton Flynn was also Raiden from Metal Gear Solid.  And he's going to be at A-Fest.  Here's hoping David Hayter shows up to one of these cons.

I should post up some of my pictures from A-Kon.  It was the height of depravity and I hearted it.