Author Topic: Author of the Harry Potter Lexicon SUED! Fascinating case in copyright law.  (Read 769 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080420/ap_on_en_ot/harry_potter_lawsuit

VERY interesting. Lexicon on Internets -- fine. Lexicon in print -- lawsuit. Perhaps this case will help delineate exactly what IP holders are entitled to, and what fans can get away with.

But in this case, the fan-author would have profited from the work, so I guess it doesn't really reveal anything new seeing as most fanworks that garner C&Ds are non-profit ops...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:52:02 pm by FaustWolf »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Copyright laws are nigh on fascist.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
This is indeed an interesting case, and both sides have a legitimate argument. Our Compendium is the perfect example of the work at the center of this case; if ZeaLitY were to try and sell a printed copy of this, or sell access to the site, Squeenix would swoop down on him like a hawk. But, their zeal aside, would they be in the right...or would ZeaLitY?

I confess that I haven't got the slightest clue. Copyright law is one of those areas that I care about--as a writer myself--but do not yet understand well enough to take a position. Perhaps the judge's ruling will help give me clarity on the subject.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
There is actually no difference between posting on the internet and printing it (or posting it for free or charging money). What is interesting is that the lexicon seems to have been able to get recognized for first publishing rights (part of the entire "copyright" of the lexicon, which would include anthology publishing rights, international publishing rights, etc), but publishing on the internet usually uses that up. Likewise, in turn anything that they used that JKR published on her website would only be violating derivative rights (anthology rights, perhaps, which are substantially less valuable than a good many other rights, most of which JKR has already tapped, admittedly).

A single Lexicon entry is hardly a copyright violation (protected under fair use laws, provided that they properly cite the info). However, we then run into the realm of the Continuum Fallacy. One entry is not a copyright violation. Would two be a violation? Three? At what point does fair use become unfair?

I can certainly understand JKR desiring to protect her copyrights. However, this should not be anywhere near as emotional for her as it appears that it is. As James Hook might say, bad form all around.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
I think some of her passion in this lawsuit derives from the fact that SHE was planning on creating a Harry Potter Encyclopedia down the road.  And that's absolutely true; she's been saying it for the past few years.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thought
There is actually no difference between posting on the internet and printing it (or posting it for free or charging money).

I think Iam misunderstanding you. The difference between commercial and non-commercial use (or "posting it for free or charging money" ads you put it) is probably the most important distinction in all of intellectual property law. When somebody tries to profit from a protected work of IP--be it by trademark, patent, or copyright--of which they are not the holder, then immediately the concern of "stealing" (i.e., infringement) arises: The unlawful profits may be depriving the actual rights-holder of the opportunity to earn them herself or himself. Derivative work isn't inherently legal; quite the contrary. The Harry Potter encyclopedia is a special case where it may be legal after all--and I will be interested to see what the judge rules, and why--but if somebody tried to publish an eighth book in the Potter series rather than a mere encyclopedia, they'd lose their shirt. I'm sure you know all this, which is why I think I am misunderstanding you.

More interesting is your other remark stating that there is no difference between publishing online and publishing in print. There is very obviously one crucial difference: the medium. That's what's been so baffling to everybody. The Internet is very different from print distribution, and trying to force it into a model it won't fit has proven to be inconsistent and generally unhelpful. (Just look at DMCA.) What we really need to do is reform intellectual property law altogether, and, as a major part of that, provide for the realities of the Internet.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Lord J, my point was that no matter what it is copyright infringement. It isn't like making money off the infringement suddenly makes it more of an infringement or not making money off it justifies the use. Legally speaking, depending on the exact nature of the copyright (is it registered, why specific right was used, etc) the legal damages might differ, but that isn't a very important distinction for discussiong the legallity, just the severity of the fines.

Technically speaking, almost everything on the compendium is technically in violation of Squares copyrights. However, most copyright holders are quite happy to have fan works infringing on that intellectual property. It is good for business.

My comment about publishing online v publishing in print is just going off a (somewhat) old warning that authors should generally follow. If you post a "book" online, it instantly becomes much less attractive to a print publisher as they generally see it as you've already used up your "first publishing rights." Thus, if you are ever posting something online it is recommended that you only post the first 13 lines (or, in other words, the first page of a properly formatted manuscript); that is so little as to preserve your rights. To be fair, however, it seems like more publishers are paying attention to the distinction between first publishing and first online publishing rights (that is, using first publishing rights doesn't use up first online publishing rights, but the latter uses up the former if it is still around). This is, admittedly, from a business, not legal, perspective.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Gotcha. I was misunderstanding you. You were saying it's all illegal. I see.

Here's a question for you, then: As a matter of course, most corporations hang onto their intellectual property as strictly as possible. This puts most derivative work based upon their property into the status of infringement. However, often this is not prosecuted. Is the infringing work really unlawful, then? Is the legally stated IP notice superior to the decision not to prosecute, or does the decision not to prosecute supersede the legally stated IP notice (until and unless said decision is revoked)?

According to Squeenix's copyright notice, this entire Compendium is pretty much one big walking bag of unlawfulness. They are almost certainly aware of us yet they do not prosecute. They seem to operate under an internal property-protection logic that differs from their stated copyright.

This is important because I would contend (with what legal support I know not) that the recognition of intellectual property places certain obligations upon the property owner, much as is often legislated of real and other forms of property. Because of its cultural benefits, the flow of information should be free by default. Restricting it ought to require a good reason, and while profit for the property holder qualifies as a good reason, there is still a large amount of legal space between the rights they reserve and the rights they actually use.

My thinking is that if a company is going to place its IP under such strict protection, then it should do so for a good reason, and should make a reasonable effort to prosecute violators rather than letting most go free. Actually I don't expect that at all: What I would prefer is the converse: Companies should refrain from asserting draconian IP rights and should instead be more permissive of derivative activity. So little IP makes it into the public domain now, because companies like Disney keep getting extensions to the law, and thus people are often reduced to operating within the narrow circle of "fair use," which puts us all at a disadvantage.

IP reform is vital, because I observe a great deal of abuse of IP by rights holders, solely on the moneygrubbing philosophy of "because I can." Thus, my question to you. An academic exercise for the time being, to be sure--but an interesting one.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
You can probably bank on the...probability that the D R E A M guy who social engineered his way into the Crisis forums reported both Chrono Crisis and the Chrono Compendium to Square Enix. Seems like making a 3D game that can attract serious attention and wield much influence is the only way to get the banhammer in the realm of Chrono.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Here's a question for you, then: As a matter of course, most corporations hang onto their intellectual property as strictly as possible. This puts most derivative work based upon their property into the status of infringement. However, often this is not prosecuted. Is the infringing work really unlawful, then? Is the legally stated IP notice superior to the decision not to prosecute, or does the decision not to prosecute supersede the legally stated IP notice (until and unless said decision is revoked)?

To my understanding, when a copyright holder becomes aware of an infringement they then have the responsibility to act accordingly (I can't speak even with the veneer of knowledge on IP in general). If the holder ignores the infringement, that does add legitimacy to that "infringement" (possibly to the point where it is no longer an infringement). In Rowling's case, for example, she was aware of the Lexicon website for years and had previously claimed to have used it herself. If she thought there was a copyright infringement, then was the time to bring the cease and desist order to bear. That she waited so long hurts her case significantly (I think it would have been much more straight forward if she had acted immediately).

Of course, one must also realize that just because a copyright holder has stated something doesn't mean that such a statement is itself lawful or legally binding. They are free to claim tighter control on IP than copyright actually provides them.

Restricting it ought to require a good reason, and while profit for the property holder qualifies as a good reason, there is still a large amount of legal space between the rights they reserve and the rights they actually use.

Quite right, but the problem there is the nature of copyrights. There is a difference, for example, in Rowling ignoring the Lexicon for so many years (essentially giving it legitimacy) and Rowling’s own copyrights to; say, anthology publishing rights. Rowling currently has the legal right to publish her books in a single anthology; this right is reserved. She isn't using it, but that does not mean that other people could go, take that unused right, and implement it (at least, not legally. I wouldn't be surprised if there are illegal ones out there).

Yet, copyright is such a slippery matter. For example, is Rowling's general plot to HP copyrighted? If someone, say, went out and wrote a book about the following plot:

A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorized extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world.

Would Rowling have a case against them? Probably not, as that is actually a quote from Orson Scott Card describing his book, Ender's Game.

Does Rowling have a trademark on the word "Muggle?" Meh, that is hard to say, since Nancy K. Stouffer, the author of a book entitled The Legend of Rah and the Muggles, used it first (though her behavior in the lawsuit undermined her position), but Rowling is the one who made the word about as common as Kleenex (which is trademarked as well).

Likewise, it is dubious as to if Rowling could own the trademark to even the name "Harry Potter." In the specific context of the character, sure, but websites with the name (as per the 2000 Warner Brother's attempt at tyranny)? That is dubious, made worse by the fact that while the website wouldn't be included under a standard trademark of the Harry Potter name, the website's existence was entirely linked to the character.

Then there is Tanya Grotter, which is prevented from being published in English due to "copyright violations," yet none (to my knowledge) greater than Rowling herself committed in writing her work (except perhaps that Dmitri Yemets was more aware of his sources of inspiration than Rowling claims to have been). Indeed, the similarities that the Dutch Court found between Tanya Grotter and Harry Potter are almost laughable, including the fact that Tanya Grotter thinks her parents were killed in an avalanche and Harry Potter thinks his were killed in a car accident (which John Bibee’s character, John, -- from a series I am quite confident that you'd loathe -- thought long before Potter was a gleam in Rowling’s eye). The Dutch courts also found it similar that Tanya and Harry both had “two special friends.” One wonders if the Dutch courts have actually read many books.

Copyrights, trademarks, and intellectual property are a very tangled topic.