Author Topic: Character Designs All Games  (Read 3403 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Designs All Games
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:50 am »
... the girl on the far right looks like Marle...

Um... yeah. All that I want to say has already been said.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:30 am »
Really? Besides having some of her hair back in a ponytail I don't see the similarity (besides stylistically of course).

idioticidioms

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:43:28 am »
The thing is, is that with new technology, people always want to test the limits by making things the best they can be. While with some people it's the simple things that matter most and they think that characters are too overly detailed, many people are enjoying the attention to detail that is going on nowadays.

As for the characters overly heaped in accessories and stuff, it more or less symbolizes the eccentricies of the characters. They have style that is all their own and that creates originality. I mean, yeah it's a bit off-base from reality, but truth be told, would any of us play video games at all if we were perfectly happy with reality? For me, it's always the story that draws me in. The graphics and character designs are just bonuses.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 06:37:04 pm »
The thing is, is that with new technology, people always want to test the limits by making things the best they can be. While with some people it's the simple things that matter most and they think that characters are too overly detailed, many people are enjoying the attention to detail that is going on nowadays.

As for the characters overly heaped in accessories and stuff, it more or less symbolizes the eccentricies of the characters. They have style that is all their own and that creates originality. I mean, yeah it's a bit off-base from reality, but truth be told, would any of us play video games at all if we were perfectly happy with reality? For me, it's always the story that draws me in. The graphics and character designs are just bonuses.

Well I'm not sure I completely agree. Yes it's true detail is important, but there is a limit that seems to be ignored. It's true that we don't  want the characters to look like they were part of reality but we don't want them to look like they fell into a see of random clothing and accessories. And although technology has advanced far enough to where we can see all this detail, is it necessary to push it? I don't think so.

Look at the artist that have already been posted.

Nomura: To be honest, he isn't that bad. I think he knows what I mean about over design. The only characters he puts all those belts and zippers on are in the KH series. Look at his work in closely.

Lightning has belts and zippers in good places, although the ones on her skirt, thats bad. But the other FFXIII characters are fine.

Good amount of detail, no overuse of zippers and belts. Other examples of him knowing when to stop.

Amano: It's true he has extreme detail in his characters, but really pay attention. It isn't that bad. If you look at Nomura's reproductions of it, which is pretty accurate actually, for Dissidia you will notice how it isn't that bad.

At least it's symmetrical and NOT overly feminine.

Toriama: He is an example of too little. Blue Dragon had too little design on Shu. Now lets look at other stuff he did. Good amount of design in Chrono Trigger. He could more but he did enough.

Star Ocean: Star Ocean started out with too little but went to the right amount.... then blew up.

Look at all the lines on Maverick, too much. To me it loses it's distinctiveness.

Those are just a few of the character designers that I chose to analyze. I could go into FFXII's guy but that would just be a hate crime.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:41:17 pm by ZealKnight »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »
Great post, ZealKnight. But:

Lightning has belts and zippers in good places, although the ones on her skirt, thats bad.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Yes, the ones on her skirt are absolutely pointless. But so are the ones over her chest that appear to be connected to pockets on her jacket for no apparent reason. And then there's the belt directly under her chest that is there for no other reason except for style since her jacket itself already has three belts of its own for securing it. Then there's the belt that connects to the pack on her leg and extends haphazardly around her waist for seemingly no purpose, since it certainly wouldn't serve the purpose of securing the pack further when it is already firmly tied around the thigh.

His other designs are fine though  :D

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:05:00 pm »
The new black guy in XIII is my favorite SE character ever. Just look at that badass smirk. He loves all the fanboys raging at him on Gamefaqs.

Also, he hides that loli chocobo in his motherfucking afro.

Yeah, you heard me. His afro.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »
The black guy is made of sheer awesome.

Man, I never realized how pointy Terra's shoes in FF:Dissidia are! Don't mess with that gal, man.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »
I think I see what you mean on some of them like Tidus and the first chick, but I like the design still. I must completly disagree with Star Ocean IV I really like that one, as V said it looks like a throwback to Phantasy Star.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:48 pm »
Quote from: ZealKnight
[About a half dozen HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE effing pictures]

Dude, wtf? Especially@that pic of Lightning. It's gargantuan. All you're doing is pointing out their outfits, you could have found smaller pics and/or sized them down yourself. The forums will auto-resize them to fit, but damn, they've still gotta load! Have pity on us poor 56k users! :( And the Chrono Trigger ones are completely unnecessary if you ask me...What? You think we're not familiar with 'em? >_>

And, yeah, Amano's not bad, just ornate. Lots of jewels & stuff like that...but we're dealing with adventurers in a fantasy setting. His designs fit.

I think that's an important thing to take into account with character designs: how they fit in their respective settings. Take the residents of El Nido in Chrono Cross. If they were apart of Chrono Trigger on the mainland they'd look completely stupid & out of place, but put them in their tropical home and they (mostly) work great.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:30:35 pm by V_Translanka »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »
Did you know...

THAT A BABY CHOCOBO LIVES IN THE AFRO OF THE BLACK DUDE FROM FINAL FANTASY XIII?

He may be the best Final Fantasy character ever.  I mean, LOOK at him.  That guy shits rainbows and marshmellows and turns everything he touches into delicious hibachi food - and that, my friends, is awesome.  I'm not even kidding.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
Ya know when looking at that pic of Lightning up close, something ain't right about her knees.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:37 pm »
Did you know...

THAT A BABY CHOCOBO LIVES IN THE AFRO OF THE BLACK DUDE FROM FINAL FANTASY XIII?

He may be the best Final Fantasy character ever.  I mean, LOOK at him.  That guy shits rainbows and marshmellows and turns everything he touches into delicious hibachi food - and that, my friends, is awesome.  I'm not even kidding.
I stepped away from the FF series after X dissappointed me, but I may have to check XIII out just for this guy.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 11:49:10 pm »
Check XII out. If X disappointed you (like me at first), you may enjoy XII.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 02:07:49 am »
Check XII out. If X disappointed you (like me at first), you may enjoy XII.
X mainly disappointed me in the simple fact that it was not challenging at all.  Especially the final boss.  Not spoiling anything, but after I won the final fight I literally dropped my controller and yelled "THAT'S IT?!!?"

Breath of Fire IV on the other hand, that had a final boss that left you feeling like you just climbed Mt. Everest.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 02:22:40 am »
On the topic of disappointing Final Battles, I was seriously disappointed with Super Mario Galaxy. No surprise strategy on beating Bowser (not much a spoiler as it's common knowledge he's a Final Boss, so not tagged) saved specifically for that one battle, just the same thing, except you do it more and you travel between planets.

Seriously, Bowser had a better Final Battle in New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Sunshine.