Author Topic: Big Chrono Crisis update  (Read 11409 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:46:57 am »
Chains of Fate, creator of the fan project Chrono Crisis, has released big news concerning his sequel to Chrono Trigger. It includes a few new screenshots and information. Rather than summarize, I'll let Chains of Fate speak for himself:

As far as the story goes, I've scrapped the whole Scenarios idea and put the story events on a set path. Instead of a Prologue, the game will start with my new characters in 1999 A.D. The events of the Prologue are still in the game, just take place later on. Here's the new introduction and a brief summary of the story:

The Earth... She holds everything we know, everything we can ever hope to understand. She is marred with the scars of humanity, wounds from wars fought needlessly from era to era, dynasty to dynasty. I suppose it is natural to pray that time heals all wounds...But there are some things that even the long droning march of time cannot heal. We learned that as children. We witnessed the dreaded future sculpted by the extraterrestrial being known as Lavos, and gazed into the dying eyes of the people there... And saw nothing but bleak grey. Everything was grey. It was if Lavos had taken even color from the people of the world... But why? Why was our Mother Earth under attack from this horrific monster? What was... Lavos? And why could it warp the minds of whomever approached it? We tried to fight it... We chased Lavos through time, doing everything we could to tip the scales of fate in our favor. We risked everything for a future we could never hope to see. In the end, we emerged victorious, saving the future, and ultimately, we hoped, ourselves. It was such a long journey... And we were so young... If we had only known that the evils of the world didn't end at Lavos... If we had only seen the evils in our own kind... If we had only realized that by saving one future, we were destroying our own...

Now, nearly 1,000 years have passed since Crono, Nadia, and Lucca returned home from defeating Lavos. A mysterious new villain arises from the depths of time to send the world into darkness once again, and it's up to a new team of time travelers to set things right. The young Xavier Ashtear starts what becomes the next epic chapter in the Chrono saga, paving the path to the true future by uncovering secrets of the past. Our new heroes will discover the hard way that time is a very delicate thing... And that the slightest change can have great consequences... Consequences they never thought possible.

The game will span across all of the old time periods, as well as three to four new ones, and will introduce a large new cast of characters. There will be plenty of sidequests available, including a Help Center at the beginning of the game where you can volunteer to solve various problems in Arris Dome for some cool rewards. People will also start recognizing Xavier the more he helps around the city, making way for more quests. Some features include 8 directional movement, the caterpillar system, a custom menu, and the Tech Grid, which has yet to be added. The Tech Grid is similar to Xenosaga's Ether system. Characters will start off with one tech, and by using Tech Points they gain from battle and exploration, they will be able to learn new ones by branching off from the first one, but to your own discretion. For example, Xavier starts with the tech Kingspin. He has the choice of either learning Scan for 150 Tech Points or Air Raid for 200 Tech Points, and then can branch off further from the one he chose. It's kind of hard to explain. XD

Chains of Fate made the update at the ( http://www.rmxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10850&st=0 ) RMXP forum, and new screenshots are posted there. Appropriately, I've mirrored them on the Compendium on the port of his January interview; you can find them here ( http://www.chronocompendium.com/Stories/4 ). Don't forget that the Prologue demo is available in that interview. Good luck to Chains of Fate; watch for the future home of Chrono Crisis, http://www.chronocrisis.com .

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 06:32:01 pm »
Wow, this looks pretty bad ass...I don't normally let myself look at ROM hacks in development (translations I'm cool with) because I don't like to get my hopes up because so many projects that are so big (like this one seems) either don't get done, or take a long time to get there...

This looks really nice...I hope I can play some demo sometime in the future, or something.

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Chronologically Correct
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 08:38:47 pm »
Chrono Crisis isn't a ROM hack, it's being made completely from scratch using RPG Maker XP. While I can use Trigger's graphics by ripping them from the ROM, it's a lot harder to do than just working with a ROM, but it's also a lot more flexible. I'm working as hard and fast as I can on getting Crisis done, there's just so much to do. But, I assure you that it's going to be completed.  :D

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 02:41:05 pm »
I remember playing the demo earlyer this year, pretty good, but with the bugs like, when you have frog and you do a side quest, say, the robo side quest, you lose frog, and couldn't get him back. but i easily beat the place with just marle, lucca and crono.

Shadow0312

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://shadow0312.tripod.com
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 02:08:11 am »
I'm confused. The last demo I heard about was for RPG Maker 2003, not XP. Have you released an XP version yet? If so, tell me where to download it.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 05:40:14 pm »
Quote from: Chains Of Fate
Chrono Crisis isn't a ROM hack, it's being made completely from scratch using RPG Maker XP. While I can use Trigger's graphics by ripping them from the ROM, it's a lot harder to do than just working with a ROM, but it's also a lot more flexible. I'm working as hard and fast as I can on getting Crisis done, there's just so much to do. But, I assure you that it's going to be completed.  :D

hey i heard about rpg maker. for the psone, right? because I would LOVE to make another chrono game if i could, is it easy with it?

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 10:56:04 pm »
YEs there are rpg makers for the psone (and two i believe) But this is a seperate program on the PC. Its available for free. Ive played several games on the rpgmaker 2k but havent gotten around to play any on rm2k3 and rmxp.

From what i understand though the 2k3 and xp versions allow for greater custamization(however you spell it) in that your party will be able to be onscreen and battles will play out like a Snes Final Fantasy (or chrono trigger in this case) instead of the first person view dragon quest style battles.

I hope the maker actulary finishes the whole game. most people start a game put out a short demo then never come back to it. its frustrating especially when your waiting for a game to be complete. Thats probally why i stopped playing rm2k.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:09:52 am »
Quote from: Shadow0312
I'm confused. The last demo I heard about was for RPG Maker 2003, not XP. Have you released an XP version yet? If so, tell me where to download it.

RPG Maker XP has been out for some time now, but as with all the PC versions of RPG Maker to date, it is only available in the native Japanese. A somewhat helpful English patch has been released, but as of a month ago I am unaware of a full crack having been completed.

Also, there is the legality issue here. If you're using any English-language PC version of RPG Maker, you're breaking the law just by having it, let alone developing games with it. Here's the authoritative English RPG Maker XP website:

http://www.phylomortis.com/html/rmxpmain.html

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:47:50 am »
i saw that same site where it goes on a tirade about not being able to play in english for its users. well its Bullshit. Granted your downloading it might be "extra legal" maybe maybe not. But the site i think you have there says if your on a english based PC its ilegal to have. Well say if one bought the progam in japenese and then applied the patch or watever then its perfectly fine. granted one is not likely to buy it when its readily avalabile for free. but meh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 10:32:24 am »
Quote from: Eggith Cyrene
i saw that same site where it goes on a tirade about not being able to play in english for its users. well its Bullshit. Granted your downloading it might be "extra legal" maybe maybe not. But the site i think you have there says if your on a english based PC its ilegal to have. Well say if one bought the progam in japenese and then applied the patch or watever then its perfectly fine. granted one is not likely to buy it when its readily avalabile for free. but meh.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, so let me clarify the points you got right: If you bought the original Japanese version of the game, then obviously it's legal to own and use. However, this does not mean that you can buy the Japanese version and then legally use an English crack, which would be in violation of the user license. As for buying the Japanese version and then applying the English patch, I am not certain whether that would be legal. I should think it would be fine for the purpose of using the program itself, but when it comes time to distribute the games you've made, I think that's where it becomes iffy.

Unless you speak Japanese or want to use a Playstation version of the program, RPG Maker is not a good choice for those who want to make games legally.

Magus-X

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Big Chrono Crisis update
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 03:38:09 pm »
I agree that if you buy the japanese version of rpgmakerxp and then apply the english patch to it. I don't think it would be illegal. Here's how I think. When you go to japan you can speak english there and, if japanese people come over here in the US, they can speak japan language. We are comparing you can say.