Author Topic: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)  (Read 43208 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)
« Reply #750 on: March 24, 2009, 12:50:54 am »
That looks pretty nifty!

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 24, 2009, 09:22:45 am »
- Leveled and fixed the VWF routine.  I haven't changed the grammatical signs or the numbers yet, but I think this font is actually really good.

Edit: I think this actually made MORE room for us XD
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:25:04 am by justin3009 »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #752 on: March 24, 2009, 11:39:18 am »
Nice! This one is both huge and spacious, a combination I didn't exactly expect. From an aesthetic standpoint I liked the other one more, but from a legibility standpoint, this is probably one of the best ones we have seen yet. Well done guys, well done.

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 24, 2009, 03:17:20 pm »
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised that you guys like my font!

I think this actually made MORE room for us XD
XD You're serious? Hooray for no more tiny fonts!

Nice! This one is both huge and spacious, a combination I didn't exactly expect.

I think myself to be something of a Master of Fonts, not to "toot my own horn." I pay attention to the font used in a game closely. For example, the most aesthetically pleasing fonts I've seen are Chicago, Orange Kid, and the fonts used in the Final Fantasy Advance series of ports. The least aesthetically pleasing fonts I've seen are in Star Ocean: The 2nd Story and The Legend of Dragoon. You should really compare Absolute Zero's Tales of Phantasia PS1 translation's dialogue font, and Dragon Quest Translations' Dragon Quest III SNES translation's dialogue font to the one I made--they have many similarities.

From an aesthetic standpoint I liked the other one more, but from a legibility standpoint, this is probably one of the best ones we have seen yet. Well done guys, well done.
Why thank you. *bows as his ego expands to the size of a small sun* :lol:

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:49 pm »
I was always trying to find a large font but wasn't too wide, glad you made this one.  It's exactly perfect.  Hell, if the font switching ever gets 100% perfect to the way people want it, we could always put more into what people like.

Edit: All grammar is added and done along with a few more fixed spacing issues!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:50:32 pm by justin3009 »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »
Sorry about not working on this guys.  I'm kind of waiting for 8thy to be done to continue on it any further.  8thy is almost there so I think we can wait this out.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:48 pm »
For dual and triple tech purposes, it would make more sense to have Schala as the 7th character and Magus as the 8th.

The game reads data in order, so keeping Magus as the 7th character would mean having to create a bunch of blank techs unless you wanted to add some for Schala.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:56 pm »
Aye, I just found out that triple tech editing is possible! If I was tech savvy (hah, a pun), I'd help, since what Mauron just said made a lot of sense.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »
Good God, how are techs going to be implemented in this patch? Are you going to sacrifice some other player techs justin, or is there a surefire way to add new tech "slots" nowadays? There seemed to be very little unused space in the player character techs section of the ROM.

Heh, that said, you could probably fit all of Schala's techs into the space used for "Slurp Cut," if you were willing to give that one up.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »
I was thinking of storing data for techs in bank 5E, and other tech related data in bank 5F. The bank used is changed anyway, so it hasn't been hard to code thus far.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »
Wow. I bow to you for thinking about that possibility, and actually having the capability to recode the game to implement it!

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 14, 2009, 01:30:28 am »
I'm trying hard to follow just what in the hell is going on here.  For the billionth time, I haven't had any free time to be looking at hex numberish type data stuff mumbo jumbo nonsensical headaches.  I am, however, still working on the ol' eventing. 

But one of my questions is:  what is the difference between this and the 8th char project?  Is this just about what happens with recruiting Schala while the other is the actual coding to make that possible?  I do hope that it makes sense.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:56 am »
Yeah, you could call this an application of the 8th character project Shee. In other words, the 8th character project is a necessary foundation for what justin's trying to do here.

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:03 am »
In light of new posts in this topic, I've decided to make a new 8x8 font--something more in line with the VWF.

Pictures and font block forthcoming.

EDIT:

Basically a bolded version of the 8x8 VWF with some minor alterations.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:21:44 am by vivify93 »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 14, 2009, 08:57:48 am »
I think the weapon/Shield Icons will remain the same but I like that font.  It takes up more room and looks easy to read I believe.

And Shee, this project right now REPLACES Magus so he's not playable at all.  With the 8th character patch, you can play as both Schala and Magus.  And yes, Schala will be the 8th character once it's setup.  That's why I'm stopping progress until we have it done, the entire project is going to have to be redone.