Author Topic: "Unofficial" TF Exports Thread  (Read 41741 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: "Unofficial" TF Exports Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2007, 06:22:52 pm »
Sorry, but the Hunt System of Final Fantasy XII will not be featured in any version of Chrono Trigger + so long as I am around. I despised most parts of Final Fantasy XII due to it being an overly unfun game, and I do not wish to integrate it.

Besides, all new sidequests we are creating are intended to work with the story just like the original ones do, with the fleshing out of character backgrounds and what have you.

Triwen

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2007, 08:12:20 pm »
*cheers Kyronea on the veto of the FFXII hunts*
They defiately wouldn't fit the game.

Do you have more places to spend your silver points planned, as it is you can get them with out difficulty (yay for blackjack, any chance of poker?) but there are almost no places to spend them. Also some one to replace Melchior when he goes home would be good

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2007, 08:21:23 pm »

Do you have more places to spend your silver points planned, as it is you can get them with out difficulty (yay for blackjack, any chance of poker?) but there are almost no places to spend them. Also some one to replace Melchior when he goes home would be good
At the moment we don't, but we do plan on making use of them somehow...though even I am fuzzy on the exact details. As for replacing Melchior, I do believe we intend to do so...somehow...

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2007, 08:39:32 am »
Sorry, but the Hunt System of Final Fantasy XII will not be featured in any version of Chrono Trigger + so long as I am around. I despised most parts of Final Fantasy XII due to it being an overly unfun game, and I do not wish to integrate it.

Besides, all new sidequests we are creating are intended to work with the story just like the original ones do, with the fleshing out of character backgrounds and what have you.

It was just a suggestion o.o

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2007, 08:48:23 am »

Aye, and if you hadn't suggested it, you wouldn't know it was not appropriate. I simply let you know it was unappropriate. Do not take it as a personal insult; simply come up with a suggestion that is appropriate under the conditions I laid out.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2007, 02:42:34 pm »

Aye, and if you hadn't suggested it, you wouldn't know it was not appropriate. I simply let you know it was unappropriate. Do not take it as a personal insult; simply come up with a suggestion that is appropriate under the conditions I laid out.

I'm not taking it as a personal insult at all, it's just... well, the wording seemed... oh, forget it.

anclunn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2007, 05:37:47 pm »
I love most of the dialogue, but I do think that there is perhaps a bit of unnecessary cursing.  I mean it's all fine when it adds something, or if used sparingly for dramatic affect, but when the word damn shows up as often as it does it loses any real power to accent the remark because of frequency.  Just my personal opinion of course.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2007, 10:29:40 pm »

I'm not taking it as a personal insult at all, it's just... well, the wording seemed... oh, forget it.
...I'm sorry. Damn it, I spend so much time sounding like a technical robot I keep forgetting I often tread on people's emotions. I was expressing my own dislike for the system, not for the suggestion itself. It was actually quite the good suggestion, as that kind of system could fit in many different games. It just can't fit in Chrono Trigger due to the time travel aspects.

I love most of the dialogue, but I do think that there is perhaps a bit of unnecessary cursing.  I mean it's all fine when it adds something, or if used sparingly for dramatic affect, but when the word damn shows up as often as it does it loses any real power to accent the remark because of frequency.  Just my personal opinion of course.
I took the level of profanity straight from the Japanese version, more or less, with my own little extra bit thrown in.

...that said, it is definitely possible I overcompensated for the complete lack of it in appropriate places in the original North American translation.

DancemasterGlenn

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2007, 02:53:40 am »

I took the level of profanity straight from the Japanese version, more or less, with my own little extra bit thrown in.

...that said, it is definitely possible I overcompensated for the complete lack of it in appropriate places in the original North American translation.

When the Mega Man X Collection came out for ps2, I bought it right away. I'm a huge fan of the series. The games all seemed to be perfect ports, more or less... the one thing that I'll always remember is that for some reason, they added a "damn" into one of X's lines in the beginning of the first game. Whether it was put in from the Japanese translation or... for kicks, or something, I've always seen it as one of the strangest and least-necessary uses of a swear, ever. All it did was make it sound cheesy, and actually less emotional.

That doesn't necessarily apply here, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. People cursing can flesh out a character, make them edgy or just more human... but it's not always necessary (even if the Japanese translation says it should be there). I have complete confidence that you'll use your best judgement in those situations.

Also, I know how it is to accidently make someone feel not-so-hot, mystic frog... whether it was a big deal or not, I'd just like to say I'm sure no ill will was meant. We're all friends here. *sunshine*

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2007, 03:49:40 am »

When the Mega Man X Collection came out for ps2, I bought it right away. I'm a huge fan of the series. The games all seemed to be perfect ports, more or less... the one thing that I'll always remember is that for some reason, they added a "damn" into one of X's lines in the beginning of the first game. Whether it was put in from the Japanese translation or... for kicks, or something, I've always seen it as one of the strangest and least-necessary uses of a swear, ever. All it did was make it sound cheesy, and actually less emotional.

That doesn't necessarily apply here, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. People cursing can flesh out a character, make them edgy or just more human... but it's not always necessary (even if the Japanese translation says it should be there). I have complete confidence that you'll use your best judgement in those situations.
True enough. I'll have to make sure to watch out for those and trim any excessive profanity from now on. (Like the current Marle line at the trial where for some inexplicable reason she says "Now wait a damn minute" when that's not what I wanted her to say. She actually has different reactions depending on if you are innocent or guilty.)

Also, I know how it is to accidently make someone feel not-so-hot, mystic frog... whether it was a big deal or not, I'd just like to say I'm sure no ill will was meant. We're all friends here. *sunshine*

I like you. You're a nice guy, as well as completely correct.

DancemasterGlenn

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2007, 03:40:20 pm »
I got the demo patched! Yay! Now I just have to deal with Zsnes sound on linux sounding like crap until they rework the sound. I can manage.

I like the little expansion of the fair, I actually didn't see it and stumbled upon it by accident. I saw the path and said to myself, "have I missed this in earlier playthroughs?" So yeah, that was seamless for me. You're doing a good job, Zakyrus! The reworking of the script was a little weird in parts, but I've already seen the revision after it, so I'm not really worried about that at all.

This is exciting! I don't play a lot of hacks... the only two I really love are Super Metroid Redesign (AMAZING) and FuSoYa's Demo World (SMW hack, also incredible). I can already tell this is going to be another amazing achievement... possibly one I can help out with, if you guys do end up needing me, musically or otherwise. Thanks for starting something I can really get excited about, keep it up!

FalconHit

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2007, 04:14:39 pm »
I just registered to say how great this is. I only have two quams, firstly; In battle the screen blinks whenever a new text box pops up or disappears (read: a lot), this might be just me. If so is there anything I can do to levy this problem? Secondly, when fighting Gato his lines aren't... very good at all honestly... taking away "metal joints, beat me up and earn silver points" was a mistake in my opinion. I think I'm just scared that while staying true to the orignal jap script is nice and all, I feel the americanized version had A LOT of charm and character and some of it might be lost in this iteration.

All I'm saying is please don't go overboard.

BUT, fantastic job and I'm putting my faith into you.

DancemasterGlenn

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2007, 04:25:02 pm »
Actually, I would agree with FalconHit on changing Gato's lines... it is kind of weird that that was changed, even if it is more faithful to the japanese version. If only there was some way to rhyme 'strong' with 'points'...

Making a hack like this must be really hard when it comes to the new script... especially now that the retranslation is out there. It's going to be hard to please everyone. My personal opinion is that the majority of the new script should be based on the american version, including character names. I'm just attatched to the characters with the names they have (even Gato!). For me, the real tipping point in writing a new script would be where the american version changed a line so much that it skews the original intent of that line. In that case, I would opt for a new version of the japanese line instead. That may not be the majority view, but I think that it makes a great deal of sense.

But yeah, in my opinion, Gato's old lines were at the very least more nostalgic. And they do rhyme. Take that as you will.

EDIT: This is not meant to show that I prefer the english translation of Chrono Trigger, as I'm definitely pumped that we have the japanese script all translated and nice. However, I do see it more as reference than a "be-all, end-all" kind of thing. Like I said, it's my opinion that the script should be looked at for information that was lost in translation. In the end, however, it will have weird, unnecessary lines that could potentially be lost on people who just want to play an expanded version of their favorite game. I've always found the american translation to be charming, and I'd like to see that remain in the final product of this hack.

EDIT 2: FalconHit, welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 04:32:14 pm by DancemasterGlenn »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:04 pm »
I cant find the pin in the cathedral?

Kyoji

• Earthbound (+15)
  • DNA > Cheesekcake
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2007, 05:16:56 pm »
I think it was noted earlier in the thread by Kyronea that you first have to speak with the Chancellor in the castle before the pin will appear in the cathedral. At least, that's what I can recall anyway.