Author Topic: Ask Me Anything  (Read 5415 times)

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Me Anything
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2007, 02:11:54 am »
However, I love to cook or to sit down at a real restaurant, and most of the time that is what I do.

A cook, eh? Do you have a favorite recipe, & would you mind sharing it?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2007, 02:14:55 am »
What influenced your political views?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2007, 03:29:32 am »
A cook, eh? Do you have a favorite recipe, & would you mind sharing it?

Golly...no, I don't have a single favorite. But how about some tips?

1) Learn to season with salt and pepper before trying other seasonings.
2) Add rice vinegar to your next soup or spaghetti sauce, right at the beginning.
3) For the love of Gore, do NOT cook veggies or fish too long--if you must cook them at all.
4) Mushrooms, yo. Did you know that a crimini mushroom is just a baby portabello?
5) Real broth rocks so hard over canned broth. Make it! It's easy, and you can freeze it.
6) Lemongrass is my favorite seasoning. Cinnamon is a good plot-twister.

What the heck...one recipe:

Fried Matzah

Eggs
Milk
Matzah
Salt
Pepper
Vanilla extract
Sour cream
Jam (or marmalade)

This recipe gives you the opportunity to eat that stereotypical big Jewish cracker (i.e., matzah) that you've probably seen or at least heard about.

I once knew the exact proportions for this recipe, but nowadays I just do it by eye. For two people, you'll want roughly two eggs, two cups of milk, salt and pepper to taste, a half- to whole-teaspoon of vanilla, and enough matzah to use up the batter.

Set the sour cream and jam aside. Heat two tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the milk, stir well. Add the salt, pepper, and vanilla, and stir again. Take the matzah and crumble by hand into the bowl; stir so that the matzah gets completely coated by the mixture. Pour it all on the skillet, and stir it contanstly. It'll take a few minutes for the liquid to evaporate. At that time, the "done" period begins. If you take them off the heat then, they'll be soft and moist. The longer you cook them, the crispier they'll get. They will begin to brown, and it's especially important to stir them constantly now that they're dry. The "done" period ends when brown turns to black and your kitchen fills with smoke. Cook 'em how you like 'em. I like mine closer to the kitchen fire end of things.

Pour the stuff onto two plates. Add equal parts sour cream and jam, stir it all together. Eat it with juice or fresh fruit and something tart like a tomato.

What influenced your political views?

It was a richly gradual, organic process for me. There was never any sudden moment of awakening or change for me. I was raised in a mostly nonpolitical, but very liberal-in-spirit environment. If you separate the politics out of left-wing philosophy, what you get is high emphasis on open-mindedness, kindness toward others, respect for the environment and animals, and awareness for the consequences of one's actions, often within the context of obeying the law--for instance, littering and smoking.

My hometown was (and still is) a conservative place, but I was never exposed to the thick prejudices that define much of our modern political debate. Instead, I grew up thinking that all those past struggles like women's rights and racial prejudice were already solved, and that modern humans now knew better.

As a result of being a curious and sharp person, I began to discover politics on my own in my mid-teens. Contrary to what you might expect, I was not a partisan Democrat. Rather, I considered myself to be representative of mainstream American culture, and thus you might say that I thought of myself as a centrist Democrat.

Once I began exploring politics and learning about the issues, I slowly discovered (very slowly) that my worldview is actually much further to the left than that. First I came into the social issues, which are easier to understand. I figured out that I disagree with the Republicans on pretty much every social issue, and, in fact, even the Democrats aren't usually where I want them to be. Later on I came into my newfound economic liberalism, where originally I had considered myself center-right on the topic. Economic issues are harder to figure out, and so it took me longer to take an interest in them, but eventually I began to understand why conservative economics don't work.

I'd say my political compass finally figured itself out just in the past two or three years. It was a long journey.

Most definitely, this journey was aided by not having a religious institution breathing down my neck. My religious upbringing was totally outside of the Christian mode. I have since learned that churches are the source of almost all social conservatism. Nobody takes such stupid positions on the issues, such as valuing unborn cells over a fully-grown woman, unless they've got a powerful and persistent authority figure telling them that God would pick the unborn cells.

My education has also helped shape my politics. In this country, at least, liberalism is the friend of science and higher education, whereas conservatism views these things as a threat. More to the point, the knowledge reaped by scientific study almost always allies in part or in full with liberal political positions. Being a scientifically-minded person, scientific truth is a treasure to which I have always been open.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2007, 03:34:52 am »

Golly...no, I don't have a single favorite. But how about some tips?

1) Learn to season with salt and pepper before trying other seasonings.
2) Add rice vinegar to your next soup or spaghetti sauce, right at the beginning.
3) For the love of Gore, do NOT cook veggies or fish too long--if you must cook them at all.
4) Mushrooms, yo. Did you know that a crimini mushroom is just a baby portabello?
5) Real broth rocks so hard over canned broth. Make it! It's easy, and you can freeze it.
6) Lemongrass is my favorite seasoning. Cinnamon is a good plot-twister.

For the spices...how can you tell something is overspiced if you have a limited sense of smell? One of my main problems with cooking is that my sense of smell is quite...inferior...to most others, so I tend to spice things a lot more. While it works fine for me, it has a bad habit of making things taste horrible to others. Have any advice on this?

Also, how do you make broth? I've been wanting to do it but a brief search on the interwebtubes came up with nothing, so I figure I'll ask you since you obviously know how.

Quote from: Lord J
My hometown was (and still is) a conservative place, but I was never exposed to the thick prejudices that define much of our modern political debate. Instead, I grew up thinking that all those past struggles like women's rights and racial prejudice were already solved, and that modern humans now knew better.
...that sounds eerily familiar. Oh wait...that was me. Except part of my problem was growing up watching Star Trek and thinking it was much more scientifically accurate than it really was. You should have seen me in sixth grade...I was arguing about the average life-span of a human being using a fact I took from a random Star Trek book about humans living an average of 114 years or so. It was moronic.

So, what exactly do you feel about spiritual beliefs? Not religious beliefs, mind, but spiritual beliefs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 03:39:04 am by Kyronea »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 04:25:40 am »
For the spices...how can you tell something is overspiced if you have a limited sense of smell? One of my main problems with cooking is that my sense of smell is quite...inferior...to most others, so I tend to spice things a lot more. While it works fine for me, it has a bad habit of making things taste horrible to others. Have any advice on this?

Also, how do you make broth? I've been wanting to do it but a brief search on the interwebtubes came up with nothing, so I figure I'll ask you since you obviously know how.

If you can't make the judgments yourself due to a handicap, solicit feedback. That's a good idea in any case. And always be sure to spice your own food however the heck you like it; to heck with the rest of those hecking heckers.

To make--for example--chicken broth, you begin with chicken bones. Buy a whole chicken, cook it in delicious ways, and eat it. After dinner, separate the carcass and all of the large bones. Clean them up, put them in a pot, and boil them to death. Add pungent foods like onions, carrots--whatever you like--and make sure to cut them up very finely to maximize surface area. (It's all detritus in the end, anyhow.) Also use whatever spices you like. I use whatever is on hand and sounds appealing, like lemongrass, garlic powder, black pepper, and what have you. However, two caveats: 1) Do not over-season the broth, as you want it to be benign enough to use in anything that requires broth. 2) Do not make it salty; keep your salt additions to a minimum. The chicken itself (and veggies) already will impart a considerable savoriness to the broth, and, plus, the single coolest thing about homemade broth is that it isn't the salt-bomb that canned broth invariably is. Add a little rice vinegar, though, and be amazed!

Boil that shit for hours, adding water as needed to keep the level fairly consistent. (To determine the initial level, err on the side of too much water, and let it boil down as needed, tasting as you go.

When it's done, transfer the broth into another container via a fine strainer, to catch the bones, veggies, and spice flakes. Pick out anything that looks good and eat it, and throw the rest of the detritus away. Cover the broth and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day, the fat will have congealed on the top. Skim that off and either throw it away or use it in a separate dish.

Now you have pure chicken broth. It freezes very well, and it makes killer soup. If you want to stretch it, combine it with canned broth, or even water it down and make up the difference with salt. But, really, take it straight.

So, what exactly do you feel about spiritual beliefs? Not religious beliefs, mind, but spiritual beliefs.

That's a good question, and I do appreciate the distinction between religiosity and spirituality. However, I do not conceive of the same kind of distinction that many people do. Religiosity focuses on community, tradition, and structure. Spirituality focuses on personal satisfaction and a sense of meaning. But to me they both rely on the same trick: Faith. Religious faith, to be specific. Or "beliefs," as you put it.

Me, personally, I cannot derive enjoyment from faith-based conclusions about reality. It's too fake for me. It is hard to explain this to religious (or even spiritualistic) people, but the same bliss that provides such comfort to those inside its warm embrace is distinctly uncomfortable to those who have outgrown it. Real truths as opposed to acts of faith are so much more satisfying. The knowledge that we humans, and not the gods, are the architects of our own future..is so much more exciting. And the fact that all of this--you, and I, and everything--came to be not only in the absence of a divine will, but without any plan whatsoever, is so much more meaningful...because meaning is thereby something to be created, not discovered. In other words, the sky's the limit. Believers satisfy that emotional desire by saying "god's plan is unknowable" or some such, but, if you throw god away, you don't need to consign yourself to permanent ignorance and inferiority. Spiritually, the difference is between faith's "There are powers beyond our comprehension out there!" to nonreligiosity's "Let's find out!"

Anyhow, the closest I come to a personal mode of spirituality is to indulge Carl Sagan's idea that we are "star stuff," which is an elegant way of saying that many of the molecules in our bodies were born in supernova explosions. What it means is that humans are of the universe, rather than in the universe in a way that implies we are distinct from it. This is a factual truism, obviously, and it doesn't require an act of faith to accept, but nevertheless I use it as one of the ways in which I support curiosity, and thereby justify knowledge as one of the key purposes in any person's life. And while that's not spiritualistic, it's only fair to admit that, along with the facts, there is a little bit of colorful interpretation going on here.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 04:31:22 am »
P.S. About that chicken broth, I forgot to tell you to add the organs and the neck (all raw).

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2007, 04:32:42 am »

If you can't make the judgments yourself due to a handicap, solicit feedback. That's a good idea in any case. And always be sure to spice your own food however the heck you like it; to heck with the rest of those hecking heckers.
True, true...I've been trying, but my family tries to avoid my cooking whenever possible after that incident with potato soup a few years ago...I added way too much garlic, and while the soup tasted excellent to me, everyone else was mildly ill over it.
*snip broth directions*
Syankuu. And noted about the organs.

*snip awesomely neat stuff*

Ah, okay. I feel essentially the same way, except I don't think I've ever really considered there to be a meaning to Carl Sagan's idea either, at least not beyond the factual truism, as you say. But then, that's just the way I am. I don't attribute meaning to things...I just figure them out. I think watching Doc Brown from Back to the Future when I was two really influenced me along those lines.

Anyway...

Are there any foods you are allergic to, or just despise?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2007, 04:45:56 am »
Are there any foods you are allergic to, or just despise?

I am mildly allergic to both mahi mahi and eggplant, which will make my tongue itch slightly. But I eat both anyway.

As a kid I had two taste aversions: tomato sauce and hot dogs. Both were the result of eating said food and then happening to be sick soon afterward. The tomato sauce aversion was particularly intense, lasting for years and having genuine power to make me queasy even in small amounts. One time I was on a camping trip with my sixth grade class, and we had spaghetti for dinner that night. I didn't even think about it at the time, but I was sick the entire night anyway. I slowly got over it by continuing to eat foods like pizza and by enjoying lasagna in small portions. Today, tomato sauce is one of my favorites.

Back to the present. I do have an official list of yucky foods: Brussels sprouts, okra, liver, and most squash. (Squash can be salvaged under the right conditions; the others I just plain don't like.)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 04:50:18 am »

I am mildly allergic to both mahi mahi and eggplant, which will make my tongue itch slightly. But I eat both anyway.
Interesting. I've noticed the same thing with eggplant myself. But then I find the taste of eggplant so horrid...though perhaps I should say texture rather than taste...
As a kid I had two taste aversions: tomato sauce and hot dogs. Both were the result of eating said food and then happening to be sick soon afterward. The tomato sauce aversion was particularly intense, lasting for years and having genuine power to make me queasy even in small amounts. One time I was on a camping trip with my sixth grade class, and we had spaghetti for dinner that night. I didn't even think about it at the time, but I was sick the entire night anyway. I slowly got over it by continuing to eat foods like pizza and by enjoying lasagna in small portions. Today, tomato sauce is one of my favorites.
Hot dogs I can understand, but tomato sauce? That's almost a staple in most American food dishes. I'm amazed you could get by like that.
Back to the present. I do have an official list of yucky foods: Brussels sprouts, okra, liver, and most squash. (Squash can be salvaged under the right conditions; the others I just plain don't like.)
...how can you hate Brussel sprouts? They be delicious, especially when cooked in a vegetable broth. Liver and squash, not so much, but okra is okay.

But then, I find myself disliking most beans, mainly because they're so squishy and otherwise tasteless and I hate the texture of ultra-squishy foods...probably has something to do with hating the baby food I was fed with as a toddler.

What are your absolute favorite foods? Is there any specific food you just could not stand to live without?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2007, 05:13:01 am »
What are your absolute favorite foods? Is there any specific food you just could not stand to live without?

There are a great many foods and drinks in the top tier of my good graces. Some of my favorites are coffee, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, lamb, clams, crab, halibut, tuna (raw), salmon (raw), tiramisu, cheesecake, orange juice, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, artichokes, kidney beans, black beans, milk, swiss cheese, sour cream, fresh sourdough bread, butter, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fish sauce, rice vinegar, cider vinegar, Original flavored Baked Lays, Guinness, grapefruit juice, brie cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, filet mignon (what meat-eater wouldn't pick that?), horseradish, wasabi, yellow mustard, black pepper, lemongrass, cream, honey, sugar, lentils, chocolate malt Ovaltine (gonna get a glass of that right now...), garlic, onions, live pickles...I could go on, but I imagine the audience would fall asleep if they haven't already.

The hardest food for me to give up altogether would be chocolate.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2007, 05:22:48 am »
Well, you certainly have a well-developed palatte. And I think just about everyone will agree with you when it comes to chocolate.

Do you prefer caffinated or decaffinated coffee? And what sort of blends do you tend to prefer?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2007, 05:50:38 am »
Do you prefer caffinated or decaffinated coffee? And what sort of blends do you tend to prefer?

Espresso over drip; dark roast over mild roast; iced over hot. Caffeinated, of course. I prefer lattes, although I'm not above putting the occasional flavor in, such as caramel, cocoa, orange, hazelnut, etc.

Kona coffee--when I can get my hands on it--I will usually prefer to drink without milk.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 05:58:54 am »
Okies.

Hmmm...

Let's say I was planning a small gathering of friends and wanted snacks, but I didn't want to get the oh so typical types of chips and sodas and whatnot. I still want to get party-style snacks, but of a healthier sort, the kind available in your average supermarket, like a King Sooper's. (It's owned by Kroger, if that means anything to you.) What would I look for?

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2007, 12:20:28 pm »
Let's say I was planning a small gathering of friends and wanted snacks, but I didn't want to get the oh so typical types of chips and sodas and whatnot. I still want to get party-style snacks, but of a healthier sort, the kind available in your average supermarket, like a King Sooper's. (It's owned by Kroger, if that means anything to you.) What would I look for?

It's say I were, damn it!

• Carrot sticks
  • Cucumber sticks
  • Celery sticks
  • Cherries
  • Grapes
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Nuts
  • Jelly
  • Breadsticks
  • Potato Wedges
  • Ready-cooked chicken (i.e., the kind you buy, put in the fridge and can eat cold) (possibly expensive)
  • Crackers
  • Cheese slices
  • Jam
  • I understand something called Punch is something of a staple party food in America.

Bear in mind how tolerant your friends will be of the fruit, vegetables and meat products: consider if they'll think of each item as 'rabbit food', against their vegatarianism (if they are vegetarian) etc., but first and foremost, allergies. You don't want anyone dying from those nuts you got.
You may also have some recipe books and/or family recipies kicking around you can take a look at. If it's not a surprise party, ask round for what people want, ask your mother or some other likely-party-host-at-least-in-the-past relative what they would suggest.
I know it's generally not something males enjoy doing (I know I don't), but you can try browsing in a supermarket. You can even try a small one, just for inspiration for similar items you can then get from a larger supermarket or more specialist shop.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2007, 03:19:56 pm »

It's say I were, damn it!

Aha, I would expect nothing less! You'll be a light unto the British isles, who are sadly forgetting to use the subjunctive as well.

I go the opposite route. For special parties, I like to get top of the line, genuine sodas and gourmet junk food. Radical_Dreamer can vouch for the pleasure in this. I want to get some Sioux City Sarsaparilla next time I have some kind of bash and see how that works out. My last cool new drink was a Frosty's blue cream soda.