Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 196121 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1740 on: June 18, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »
Nintendo literally exploded with news during their performance. I swear a puddle of water came down my shorts after seeing a New Zelda, DKC, the 3DS, etc. Oh yeah, who agrees that the 3DS might get Chrono Cross?

Or another port of Chrono Trigger...in 3D! :D

Also, the two new Castlevania games look sweet and almost made up for how otherwise crappy Konami's E3 presentation was...though still not laser tag or Skittles bad...>_>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:03:01 pm by V_Translanka »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: June 18, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »
Ok, so is the 3DS actually 3D like the current movie fad or 3D as in polygons? I still don't understand. When we saw the video it wasn't 3D, then again I wasn't there and who's to say the trailer was in 3D.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1742 on: June 18, 2010, 03:08:19 pm »
Oh yeah, who agrees that the 3DS might get Chrono Cross?

I certainly hope so. Ideally, Square Enix could collaborate with Monolith Soft on remaking the game, and... y'know... it might get them in the mood, you know what I'm saying?

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:15 pm »
Bad news for RPG fans:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/20/tales-studio-near-bankruptcy-tales-series-doomed/

Whether you like the Tales series or not, this news does not bode well for the RPG genre.  True, Tales hasn't exactly been known for innovation, but rather than innovate the series to help right the sinking ship it is more likely that Bandai/Namco will just let it die to trim costs.

Personally, I liked Vesperia, but the whole business about the 360 version being a beta for the "complete" PS3 version (that won't be coming to the States btw) was a really bad move.  It left an entire console fan-base in the dust.  Why did they bother localizing the 360 version if they never intended to release the complete game outside of Japan?  (Yet another mystifying business decision by a Japanese developer.)  And don't even get me started about them leaving Xenosaga unfinished.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 19, 2010, 05:02:09 pm »
Weall I keep hearing that Namco/Bandai is prejudiced against foreigners.

Then again, I heard this on Gamefaqs, so take this with a grain of salt.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »
Hmm.  I've only played a little bit of Symphonia.  However a close friend of mine is a huge fan of them.  I'll have to check if he knows.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 21, 2010, 03:14:11 pm »
Did either version of Tales of Hearts ever get a translation...?

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 22, 2010, 04:32:49 am »
Did either version of Tales of Hearts ever get a translation...?

I checked Gamespot and there was only information for a Japanese release, which was back in 2008.  A great many of the Tales games never made it out of Japan.  (And people wonder why the developer was losing money.)  :roll:

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1748 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:21 pm »
That's a little disappointing to hear. I loved Tales of Symphonia back in the day, and I was unhappy when none of the DS or PSP Tales games were localized. I kind of suspected that Namco wasn't doing too well lately though, what with their merger, spotty localization track record, and general lack of high-profile games.
By the way, you might want to post content warnings when linking to Sankaku Complex.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1749 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:51 pm »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 23, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »
Well, games can avoid story, but you know it is like flour, you don't have to eat it, but you can't deny its importance to food.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:58:07 pm by utunnels »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »
I think what they meant is current video gamming, story can be in any genre it's no longer exclusive to RPG or more specifically Turn Based RPGs. Even BlazBlue had an amazing story. That's right a 2D fighter, I'd argue it was better than FF13's story. Today the gameplay is more of the top priority, because no matter what type of game a story can be implemented.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #1752 on: June 26, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »
I'm a big fan of Cracked and especially David Wong, but let's face it, the guy's shtick is to be extremely negative about absolutely everything, and he's more than willing to twist or overlook a few facts to make his point. He's been preaching doomsday for the video game industry for a good solid half a decade now, and while it may not be in the best shape creatively at the moment, it's nowhere near as bad as he makes it sound. This year's E3 saw the announcement of new projects from Eric Chahi and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, two of the most revered figures of the art-game crowd and, by extent, the creative fringes of video gaming; I would've thought that would be enough to please most naysayers, but somehow these seem to be overlooked entirely. I'm not going to make any excuses for the bulk of mainstream titles, though; I liked the JPG in Wong's second article so much I saved it to my computer.

My basic philosophy on story in games (simplified considerably) is that it should either be REALLY GOOD, or virtually nonexistent. There's nothing I love more than a good interactive narrative, but if storytelling isn't going to be one of your top priorities, then just give me a fun game and don't bog it down with a story no one cares about. Or, put another way: the higher the story-to-gameplay ratio is in a game, the greater obligation said story is under to be good. When you reach the point of, say, having nine-and-a-half hours of cutscenes in your game (hello, Metal Gear Solid 4) your story sure as hell better trump most A-list Hollywood productions (MGS4 didn't). Actually, no game should have nine-and-a-half hours of cutscenes, period. Segregation of cutscenes and gameplay is the way of the past; cutscenes in this day and age should only be used as a last resort to communicate information that absolutely cannot be conveyed in-game, and if they are still going to take up such a massive bulk of the experience you're creating then you need to consider working in a different medium. Today we have games that tell surprisingly powerful stories with a bare minimum of actual narrative (c.f. Shadow of the Colossus, Portal) and games with veritable brick-tons of narrative and cinematic ambitions that still only manage the storytelling and directorial nuance of a student film project on a multimillion-dollar (MGS4, Heavy Rain). Game designers who overestimate their abilities as storytellers try to make movies. The best video game storytellers, on the other hand, recognize the universal truth of the medium, and the one that fundamentally separates it from film: the star of a video game is never, ever the supposed main character: it is ALWAYS, and by the very nature of the medium always will be, the player. The best storytellers in video games recognize the crucial importance of player experience, and use it to create narratives of power and personal involvement that could not be approximated in any other medium.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 27, 2010, 01:14:09 am »
I finally bought my own Xbox 360 to add to my collection of consoles, along with Soul Caliber IV.

And I am enjoying it thoroughly.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 04, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »
Well, joy to you TK now add me! lol...PRO TIP FOR XBOX 360: "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1" is an awesome XBL Indie Game that's only $1 (80 Microsoft Points) and gives you all the joy and fun you had with Smash TV (Geometry Wars for you newschoolers out there) only with FOUR PLAYERS!

Also, I just beat BioShock and it was indeed awesome. I'm still not in love with the controls and I definitely saved the big weapons for no good reason (& used the machine gun too much, the pistol not enough and zooming hardly at all)...I rarely used the chemical thrower for example and only used the grenade launcher on Big Daddies...I guess I could have set traps with the crossbow, but I never really thought that far ahead...only missed the research for the automated stuff (cameras, turrets, flying drones) and missed one weapon upgrade station somewhere...I saved all of the Little Sisters and all in all had a very good time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:17:53 am by V_Translanka »