Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!  (Read 28146 times)

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
I didn't know the catfood went down based on entering the fountain area of the fairgrounds...
I knew that before. I once read an explanation of how it worked.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • You can't spell "PIMP" without "P-I-P."
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »
First, just wanted to say thanks to Abel and FaustWolf for putting this together.  It was a lot of fun to run through those scans.  And again, now we know more than we ever wanted to know about cats, curtains and piano players.  And isn't that what this is all about?

Second, I just wanted to mention something I noticed concerning the questions posted and beautifully translated by ShikiGami on Page 4 of this post (I believe).  I was just wondering if the quesion concerning the inclusion of Radical Dreamers may not have been expressing the hopes of the interviewer or audience as opposed to those of Kato.  The subject is never mentioned in the question and the wording kind of leads me to believe the prior, and that they are asking Kato if there was ever such a plan.  I could definitely be off base on this one and would have to read his reply to be sure, but just a thought.  Obviously not the biggest deal either way but it would change how we perceive Kato's feelings toward the revamp and Radical Dreamers as well as how much say he has in the production of these games (and how little SE seems to care about their audience nowadays : )

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
Third  :D anyone who wants to use the translation I did to rework the scans is more than welcome.  You are also more than welcome to tighten up the writing and fix any minor naming/grammatical errors -- in fact, please do so!  I would however request that you give credit where credit is due, don't post that stuff anywhere else without permission, and don't change anything major without without asking.  Thanks and best of luck.

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I want to know. What am I? Who will define me?
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2009, 01:19:23 am »
Wow! A huge thank you to Lorenz!  :D

*Puts up flame shield*

CT/CC connections FTW  8)

Great read all around!

cdreed3000

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 01:53:53 am »
I, for one, am very excited to hear back from the other translators. Those interviews may turn out to be juicy.

Does anyone know for sure who the artist of that concept art is? It doesn't look like Toriyama's work. I might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:57:24 am by cdreed3000 »

GlitterBerri

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • BerriBlue
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 02:15:09 am »
Fantastic work, ShikiGami and Lorenz! I'm happy to see more translators around. ^^ If you don't mind, you should add me to MSN or AIM (glitterberri@hotmail.com or GlitterBerri), perhaps we could help each other out or collaborate on a project. It seems like the Chrono Compendium has lots of material.

Isn't it a good idea to have multiple translators go over the same material?

Yes and no... translation isn't so much of a mathematical science (x = y) as a creative art. While having multiple people go over the same material might catch some inadvertent errors or raise new points for discussion, the differences in the way things can be translated might only serve to create confusion.

Literal translations between Japanese and English don't often make sense due to cultural and linguistic differences. This means the trick is to translate the meaning and not the words. Translators have to use their creative license and writing ability to make things flow well in the other language. Because everyone interprets things a little differently due to ambiguity in the original text or an aim towards literalism or localization, discrepancies in translations naturally arise which may give way to disputes. Plus, it's good to be consistent!

I can provide scans if anyone would like to apply the translation to the scans, or we could wait for that because the translations are just a bit rough at this point.

Why don't you provide them anyway? Then they'll be there when we need them!

We're taking everything we can get for now. Glitter has many other projects (she's very much in the springtime of youth), so we shouldn't become used to service availability.

Unfortunately, yes. I'll be back to work on Chrono things in a little bit, I just have to take care of some other promises first.

Third  :D anyone who wants to use the translation I did to rework the scans is more than welcome.  You are also more than welcome to tighten up the writing and fix any minor naming/grammatical errors -- in fact, please do so!  I would however request that you give credit where credit is due, don't post that stuff anywhere else without permission, and don't change anything major without without asking.  Thanks and best of luck.

Sounds good, Lorenz! I might check some over if I have the chance, but from reading the English version it seems like you've done a good job.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:19:03 am by GlitterBerri »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 02:35:17 am »
jsondag2's working on a method for sharing the scans that doesn't constitute the Compendium handing out tons and tons of copyrighted material to the whole world, but still allows multiple translators to take a look at the same scans simultaneously. At least I think that's how it will work; hopefully we'll reach a more efficient methodology soon.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 05:02:00 am »
CHAPTER 4
Side Quests (literally “multi-events”)
Side Quest Challenge
A) The Green Dream
B) Ozzy's Palace (Ozzy is called "Vinegar" in the Japanese)
C) Geno Dome (in Japanese, an abbreviation/pun on “Genocide Dome”)
D) Sun Stone
E) Hero’s Tomb
F) Rainbow Shells
G) Dragon’s Santuary
H) Dimensional Vortex
I) Darkness at the End of Time (lit. “Time’s Darkness”)

Did they really call it the Dragon's Sanctuary in the Japanese version?  That's our Lost Sanctum right?  Why would they call it that?  The Reptites there aren't Dragons.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 05:48:12 am »
Yeah, it is called Dragon's Santuary...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:26 am »
Maybe to make it extra obvious that it's the Reptite Dimension?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 08:08:38 am »
Perhaps in CT/CC world, dragons and reptiles are same things.
In CT/RD, they use 竜, in CC, they use 龍, both are supposed to be the creature from oriental legend, BUT from game we can tell, in fact, they are descendants of Azala's clan.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
Good points, utunnels.  I also just wanted to point out that the kanji for "dragon" is part of the kanji for "dinosaur" in Japanese.  (Sorry, I can't type in Japanese on this computer, so you'll have to take my word for it ; )  It's actually "kyouryuu" or "scary dragon," basically.  In the Japanese version of the game the Reptites are called "kyouryuujin," literally "dinosaur people" or "scary dragon people."  So there is some linguistic precedent for them to be considered "dragons" or at least somehow connected to them.

Oh, and GlitterBerri, very well said concerning the "art," if you will, of translation.  Even at a very high level there is always some element of disagreement in how things are brought over, kicking and screaming, into another language, especially from two languages as vastly different as Japanese and English.  Well, that's my excuse anyway  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:57:36 am by Lorenz »

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 11:14:32 am »
In JP games, those 2 words are usually mixed up. They are not that strict sometimes(e.g., in CC), although according to wiki, they usually call the western dragon 竜 to avoid confusion. In fact, they are the same word written in different way. 竜 is already out-of-date in China, but is still used in Japan.

Crisis54

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 11:46:21 pm »
"Picture 1: In one ending, is the baby picked up by Lucca really Chrono Cross’ heroine, Kid?"

Isnt this something important? I dunno, I've been out of the CT loop for awhile, but basically they're saying that baby isn't kid. Maybe it isnt a big revelation, but it adds something.

cdreed3000

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2009, 12:08:07 am »
I think that's more the author hinting that it is Kid for those who hadn't figured that out already.