Author Topic: Another celebrity dead!  (Read 4598 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Another celebrity dead!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »
What, no remorse for Dennis Ritchie? You guys tried to tear worlds apart, trying to prove how Apple was wrong, but when it's time for a great man of our time, then... nobody? Not a single word?

Also, there's another man that we apparently missed: Michael Stern Hart

This man made everyone's life easier. Hope he had a blessed life himself. R.I.P., dear old chap.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »
No one was trying to prove how Apple was "wrong". We did demonstrate that Steve Jobs was a tyrannical asshole who cursed out employees on a regular basis, and that Apple has a pervasive, stupid ad campaign, however.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:07 pm »
...I'd never heard of Dennis Ritchie until just now.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 06:52:40 am »
No one was trying to prove how Apple was "wrong". We did demonstrate that Steve Jobs was a tyrannical asshole who cursed out employees on a regular basis, and that Apple has a pervasive, stupid ad campaign, however.
Yes, but my question still stands. It's easy to remember a man who has wronged much. But what about great men (such as, Dennis Ritchie in this case) who actually deserve to be remembered? What about their contribution to the development of their society? Why isn't no one paying a single word of respect or praise for his passing?

Or is it that people will only remember those that "directly influenced society" instead of people like Ritchie and Hart? Is this why they would choose to remember a delegate rather than brilliant minds striving and working behind the scenes? Is this why people would remember an Actor, but not the Stuntman? Is a face more to humanity than strife?

...I'd never heard of Dennis Ritchie until just now.
Neither have I, but upon reading more I've realized that we've lost an influential person.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:48 pm »
It's hard to overstate Richie's influence. For those of you awed by the scope of Job's influence in the world, keep in mind that OSX and iOS are derivatives of UNIX, an operating system Richie helped create, and Objective-C, the programming language favored on those platforms, is a derivative of the C programming language, which Richie also helped create. And Apple is not the only company to use UNIX and its derivatives, or C and its derivatives. Not by a long shot.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 09:47:10 am »
I really hope someone changes the title of this thread, because "celebrities" aren't the only one worthy of remembrance and mourning. Every human being is important, for their ideals, their thoughts and their actions. There are so many amazing people we still don't know about, so many unsung heroes that are lost in oblivion. For all those, the least we could do is shed a tear for them and thank them for inspiring us.

Ubuntu Translator André Gondim Passes Away

I realized he wasn’t someone who translated applications he personally used or liked: he translated everything he could find, just out of a desire to help. Because of this, me and many others from the Ubuntu community greatly admired him despite not knowing him personally.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »
There goes Andy Rooney.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »
Ah, I've never known Andy that much, but I once did hear about his remarks on Obama. And it was awesome! R.I.P. big guy.

Although, I do not agree with that caption there. Almost every child is born believing there's some kind of a supernatural force watching him/her and they strive to find their life's purpose (even if they aren't indoctrinated). A person becomes an Atheist based on experience, influence and careful thinking. One of the ruthless, though practical, influences are from the so called "grown ups" who tend to disregard anything imaginary because it's childish, and the child tries to re-program himself in order to blend in and survive. So yeah, while infants aren't "religious" they aren't "atheists" either.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 04:05:13 pm »
I loved his rant about the amount of cotton in pill and vitamin bottles. At the time, it was so true! Sometimes there'd be a bigger volume of uncompressed cotton than the interior volume of the whole bottle.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »
Hah! I got this link on my Google Reader about Andy Rooney, and while some of his comments were tasteless (although, he did apologize) one interesting statement caught my eye:

Quote from: Andy Rooney
I’ve done a lot of complaining here, but of all the things I’ve complained about, I can’t complain about my life.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »
Nooo, Andy Rooney! Even if all I knew of you was your little soundbites on 60 minutes...you were cool. :(

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:05 am »
Darrell Sweet has died. You probably don't know the name, but if you're an avid fantasy reader you have almost certainly seen his work. He was one of the preeminent illustrators of cover art for fantasy books.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/12/darrell-k-sweet-1934-2011

His drawings have a distinct style to them. Today though his style is an anachronism amid an ocean of gritty and dark book covers, Sweet brought some maturity to the genre back in the days when the covers were often grisly or smutty. They also have some appeal in the way they depict such fantastical scenes.

He was 77, or very close to it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 05:06:08 am »
A book is always judged by its cover. DKS made sure the covers told more wonders than the book itself.

R.I.P.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 01:08:32 pm »
If I may venture a dissenting note here, I am genuinely sorry that Darrell K. Sweet is dead, but I will not miss his artwork, which was never more than second-rate even in its own era--and believe me, given how prolific he was and how many F&SF novels I've bought over the years, I've seen a lot of it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:46 pm »
If I may venture a dissenting note here, I am genuinely sorry that Darrell K. Sweet is dead, but I will not miss his artwork, which was never more than second-rate even in its own era--and believe me, given how prolific he was and how many F&SF novels I've bought over the years, I've seen a lot of it.
Hold on. Did you just say his art were actually Kitsch? XD

I never realized that until you just pointed out and I looked at em again. I guess sometimes I get too absorbed into an artist's skill and brush-work rather than his innovative and rebellious approach (or lack of said approach).

That said, quite a lot of book covers are considered to be Kitsch. Sometimes it makes me smile, knowing that the best self-expression usually comes in the form of fan-arts. Haha!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:15:06 pm by tushantin »