Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199512 times)

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1455 on: January 15, 2010, 04:11:22 am »
Don't worry I only managed to figure out half of the things myself! XD
So the stardust and all that stuff might be useful. Also yeah i noticed that the only way to level up its with bosses. So I try to avoid the random encounters but since it's kind of timed it's hard to do so. Otherwise I love the game it's just the encounters can be annoying.

Also I always in most RPG have one mage and 2 warriors. So mage I use it for magic and healing then one balance warrior and a fully offensive one. It's just the best strategy I have for any rpg dunno if it will apply in this one since I haven't got any magician characters. So far I use Rose, Dart and Lavintz. Just now Shana got SICK!! NOOOO!!! (reminds me when Kid got sick in cross :() XD

Anyways thanks for the info I will be sure to check out the stuff while playing the game and as soon as I get there.

BTW you should play Jade Cocoon. I always recommend that game because it's epic. Between this (LoD), Jade Cocoon, chrono cross, are my top 3 games for PSone. After those its Digimon world 3.

The game, it's weird feels like a crossover between Zelda and Pokemon with a very dark atmosphere. Just get yours hands on it. Although the sequel for Ps2 was the one which received all the praise, it doesn't even touch its toes of the first one.

It's like the third time I mention the game on this topic lol....

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 15, 2010, 05:13:33 am »
I recall Jade Cocoon, one of those games that just didn't get their time on the spot light. I didn't knew it had a sequel though.

Dart(a given), Rose and Lavitz were my team for my very first playthrough. Rose is more of a "female protagonist" stat wise, in the sense that she's balanced, not the best striker, or the fastest, and with decent magic score and spells. She has a low cost healing magic(Astral Drain), but as you get higher levels it will lose effectiveness. But, she's pretty fast and can hold her own, plus she has only 4 additions so you can get her final addition really fast. And I liked her enough to keep her.

Shana is actually a very solid mage, I think she has the best magic stat, but the other mage beats her in Speed, which is actually more important. The thing about her is that her arrows always hit, and with time she will get a bow that shoots arrows to all enemies, plus she can get a lot SP very fast, and this means she can use her Dragoon form more often than anybody, and you want her as a Dragoon.

If you want to use a mage, and for some reason Shana is not your cup of tea, wait for the Blue Dragoon to show up, she's arguably the best character in the game because she's the fastest, has amazing magic stats, great spells, and her final addition has a crazy multiplier. She will never deliver as much physical damage as your best warrior though, but because of her speed, she will get two or three more turns, so in raw numbers she still wins. Some people say she's a gamebreaker, so use her at your own risk.

The game is really easy actually, so my advice to you is to just roll with the ones you like best. In my last playthrough I switch around party members to level all their additions and it was a lot of fun. If this helps your decision, the best weapon in the game can be only used by Rose, but you get it just two steps before the final boss, so... yeah =P

Again, I would suggest just have fun and don't worry too much about who you bring, go for looks, element affinities or just the ones you like best for whatever reason and enjoy the ride  :D

I bet you are not going to see some of the twists come, and IMHO, that's a good thing n_n

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1457 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:01 pm »
Played some more Arkham Asylum and got to Bane, who proceeded to break me...over & over. I did the sliding through his legs things a few times and even managed to pull at his Venom hoses some and then those thugs come down to distract you (it's nice that Bane doesn't bother to avoid hitting them when rushing or throwing chunks of the wall at me)...I'm not sure exactly how I pulled the hoses so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to continue trying to do that, but w/e, I'll get through it once I feel up to dying some more...

It makes me wonder if a co-op Splinter Cell-ish Batman & Robin game would work...>_>

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1458 on: January 15, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »
I'm not sure exactly how I pulled the hoses so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to continue trying to do that, but w/e, I'll get through it once I feel up to dying some more...

Once you've stunned him with a batarang (by the way, using L1/Quick Batarang for this is near useless and slow, I found just quickly setting a target on him and using R1 the normal way is way more reliable), get behind him and punch him until Batman jumps on top of him. I died quite a few times to him too, it's a shame the Quick Batarang is only half-responsive when you really need it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1459 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:30 am »
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/15/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-finale-and-concept-art/
The character countdown is done.
NONE OF them are playable... only Sonic. They even mocked themselves by making up "Sonic's friend Mr Needlemouse" as one of the choices.

This could be it, this could really be the game that breaks the Sonic Cycle.

Also, Capcom announced Megaman Zero Collection for DS: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/01/15/everything-becomes-zero-again/

Yourgingerestfan

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 16, 2010, 03:37:21 am »
Faust , I played Sands of Destruction yesterday (I downloaded the rom ...but I will buy it when it comes to Europe )

The voice acting and style of the game is fantastic ; keeping in mind I played an hours worth so far , definatly an rpg which should be a staple in everyones ds game case !

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1461 on: January 16, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »
Pokémon Sunday is revealing something tomorrow, it's probably a Gen 5 Pokémon.

And that's still not all! In a recent interview with a Japanese newspaper, the president of Nintendo commented that the DS's successor "[will have] highly detailed graphics" and "a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing." Recently, Gamefreak, the creators of the main Pokemon games, solicited to hire 3D artists. Perhaps they were seeking these employees to help with the 5th generation games since they will be on an apparently powerful 3D handheld. As Gamefreak currently only makes Pokemon games, where else would the 3D artists go?

http://pokebeach.com/2010/01/pokemon-sunday-shows-mysterious-question-mark
http://pokebeach.com/2010/01/5th-generation-evidence-and-speculation

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 16, 2010, 02:38:50 pm »
Faust , I played Sands of Destruction yesterday (I downloaded the rom ...but I will buy it when it comes to Europe )

The voice acting and style of the game is fantastic ; keeping in mind I played an hours worth so far , definatly an rpg which should be a staple in everyones ds game case !
I've tired of the voices after about 2 hours and turned them off.  Some of them are pretty decent, but the main girl drives me nuts!  It's too bad, as some of the characters are voiced pretty well, like the main guy - such a wiener!  They have personality though.  The translation at times seems like it might be a bit too literal - things like 'you're a world-destroyer!  What are you waiting for? Go on. Destroy the world!'  They tend to overkill the word - makes it a bit hokey at times.  The music makes up for it though. Great atmosphere between the colours and the tunes.

I still have yet to get a handle on the combo / move attribute points thing, but it seems cool none the less.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 16, 2010, 04:41:03 pm »
the president of Nintendo commented that the DS's successor "[will have] highly detailed graphics" and "a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing."

The world is still waiting on a title that takes advantage of the DSi camera(s).  :P

As for anything related to Gen V of Pokémon, it's been Nintendo's / Game Freak's status quo to wait for a new handheld to be launched before the series advances. I haven't heard anything substantial coming from the handheld front as yet, so I'd be skeptical of any Gen V announcements, unless they plaster it all over the Pokémon homepage.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 17, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »
Just started Sand of Destruction, and it's reminds me of everything Kato's ever done. Which is good but, I mean come on. Hopefully the surprising twist he always throws in will make everything top notch! The one real complaint I have is that scenes should be theatrical and amazing seem anti-climactic because its on the DS.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 17, 2010, 04:44:03 pm »
Man, the stuff Mad Magazine can churn out.  This list is supposed to be the "50 Worst Things About Video Games".  See how many of them apply to anything you've played recently.

1. Game designers who can’t understand why more women play video games, especially since they feature such outstanding female role models such as a globetrotting archeologist (with big boobs), world-class volleyball champions (with big boobs), and, of course, easily murdered hookers (with big boobs).

2. Console manufacturers selling systems without basic essentials like memory cards or a second controller, so you have to shell out another 60 bucks before you even see as much as a hair on Luigi’s mustache.

3. The once-realistic Sims "busting out" into settings so fake and ridiculous, its only a matter of time before we see The Sims Team Up With Sonic the Hedgehog to Take on the Giant Fire-Breathing Turtles.

4. Sega’s long pathetic parade of short lived systems, from the Sega CD to the 32X to the Saturn to the Dreamcast, establishing a legacy of failure on its way to rivaling that of the Chicago Cubs.

5. The "total time played" on your memory card, which only prove to your parents how many hours you’ve wasted playing video instead of doing you homework.

6. Games that make to much of their features "unlockable." Just to enjoy everything, you’re forced to jump through more hoops than a dolphin at Sea World.

7. Downloading "patches" for the latest and greatest massive-multiplayer extravaganza. You mean our 50 bucks AND the monthly fee didn’t actually include a finished product?

8. Mind-numbingly dull "cinema sequences"- as if we really needed to interrupt the game with ten minutes of bad acting and cliched dialogue to explain the deep motives and back story of why Ratchet and Clank are running and jumping.

9. Choppy, second-rate video games designed for cell phones. Was text messaging not a useless enough to drain battery power?

10. Video game magazines that spend months hyping a game as the second coming, lavishing it with praise and eagerly counting down to its release date, only to dismiss it when it comes out as third- rate, over-hyped crap.

11. Video game reviews from Maxim or FHM— as if their readers will actually stop "juggling their joysticks" to photos of Eliza Dushku long enough to go out and buy the game.

12. All tasks that involve looking for keys to open a door, secret passage ways or chests or anything else crucial to your success. You mean a character running around tirelessly with ten machine guns and thousands of rounds of ammo can’t shoot the freakin’ door open?

13. Selling multiple versions of the same Pokemon games with different creatures in each one, so you have to buy them both. Its almost as shameless as making collectors buy two identical magazines with a different cover.

14. Racing through the Grand Canyon in a super-charged 350Z with ARC spoilers and HKS turbochargers . . . then turning off Gran Turismo 4 and driving to work in your 1988 Honda Civic with AM/FM radio and manual windows.

15. Wannabe gamers who drop $200 on a system and another $50 on a game, then immediately look up the cheat codes that make playing as easy and pointless as possible.

16. The "Plug and Play" Atari system, which seems cool until you actually buy it and realize that advances in graphics, color and sound were made for a reason.

17. Falling for EA’s annual con of forking 50 bucks for the improved version of Madden Football, since "improved" apparently means adding a couple of dozen bench players and seven new versions of Madden yelling "Boom! He sure knows how to tackle!"

18. Vietnam games that make you wonder if any national tragedy is off limits to crass exploitation.

19. Getting psyched to watch Spider-Man 2 on your brand new PlayStation Portable, then realizing the battery will get you about as far as the opening credits.

20. Donkey Konga, which combines the ‘60s-era art of bongo drumming with none of the mind-bending hallucinogens that made it tolerable in the first place.

21. Finding out that your school photo looks just as dorky and pathetic digitally pasted on to a cool skater’s body in Tony Hawk’s Underground as it does hanging in your parents den.

22. Rockstar’s "exclusive" deal to keep Grand Theft Auto on PlayStation 2, only to turn around and put a better version on Xbox a few months later. For some inexplicable reason, we were expecting upstanding ethical behavior from a company whose game glorifies a hooker-killing, drug-dealing gangbanger.

23. Having to "level up" your characters in role-playing game to the point where it requires more work than your actual job.

24. Highly -anticipated releases like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, which boast innovative, thrilling new ways for you to, uh . . . kill stuff.

25. Mario’s ridiculous Italian accent, which comes in just behind Grand Theft Auto: Vice City’s infamous "Kill all the Haitians" message as the worst ethnic offense in gaming.

26. Having a balance of ten cents on your arcade card, which is totally good for nothing and yet you STILL can’t bring yourself to chuck it.

27. Obnoxious video game buddies who successfully guilt you into letting them "try this level one more time," which quickly turns into a half hour, then hours on end and, finally, daybreak.

28. The idiotic realization that video games are good for hand-eye coordination, as if that weren’t true of any other activity doing a thing to another thing.

29. Sports games that realistically simulate the athletic experience of shots of players scratching themselves— as if getting an up-close view of Yao Ming playing pocket pool is why we fantasize about playing in the NBA.

30. Games with development cycles that are so long and with release dates forever delayed— even the friggin’ Sopranos produce new episodes faster.

31. Having to blow $9.99 on a book of tip codes because the game you want them for is the ONLY one that hasn’t been typed up for free on the Internet.

32. Your disgusting friend who grabs your controller with his clammy hands immediately after licking Cheetos residue off each and every finger.

33. Juiced up versions of old Atari games, which are way too complex for fans of the originals and way too lame for everybody else.

34. Trying to make a boring game like golf "extreme" by adding violence, scantily-clad babes and dubbing it Outlax Golf, meaning we’ll soon have Outlaw Shuffleboard, X-treme Badminton and Ultra-Psycho Desperado Horseshoes.

35. The horrible realization that you’re such a spaz that if you played Dance Dance Revolution head-to-head with William Hung, you’d lose. Bad.

36. With the endless success of cash-cow series like Final Fantasy, Medal of Honor, and The Legend of Zelda, virtually every game out there is either a sequel to a past game or the inferior imitation of a hit game. These days, an actual new, original gaming experience is rarer than a funny David Spade movie.

37. The Army’s cost-cutting use of video games to train its soldiers, which will really pay off when we finally invade the frozen wastelands of Tallon IV.

38. Blowing on NES cartridges and holding down "RESET". We know that was along time ago, but man, that sucked.

39. Saving a whopping four bucks by buying pre-owned ones— when you do the math, its like getting 13 scratched-up disks of dubious playability for the price of twelve!

40. Companies that make a big deal of hiring slumming D-list Hollywood talent to record a few sound clips for their game, as if David Arquette’s involvement has ever made anything better.

41. Now that multi-player games are best played with online opponents, video game recluses can finally stop bothering to make friends to play with, thus freeing them of their last tether to normal human society.

42. Games that boast 50 hours of gameplay when 48 of them consist of re-tracing your tracks through the same area you’ve already been through nine freakin’ times.

43. Trying to decide which sucks more: movies based on video games or video games based on movies.

44. Enter the Matrix: The only thing in the world that could actually make the two Matrix sequels seem coherent and interesting.

45. The ESRB ratings, which are a big help for parents who can’t decide wether or not Killzone is suitable for their six-year-old.

46. Sims- addicted roommates who practice better personal hygiene online than they do in real life.

47. Cheesy gaming articles in Time and Newsweek that are the journalistic equivalent of your mom trying to dance to Outkast.

48. Disc-5 of the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas box set— we just don’t like it.

49. Realizing that a) there’s not a woman’s beach volleyball player in the world who looks like that and b) if there were, she wouldn’t sleep with a pasty-faced dork who plays electronic volleyball all day.

50. Games that, despite being based on "cool" characters, just plain suck. You know, like Spy Vs. Spy.

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:00 am »
Anyone know the music composer for Sands of Destruction ?

The world map theme makes me quite emotional feeling kinda like when listening to Star Stealing Girl  :oops:

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1467 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:23 am »

The world map theme makes me quite emotional feeling kinda like when listening to Star Stealing Girl  :oops:
It's Yasunori Mitsuda, so no wonder.  :lol: And people thought Kato and Mitsuda can NEVER be together.

Yourgingerestfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 18, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
Wow , the 'No wonder' is so true :D
I can't wait to hear the rest of the tracks :P

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 18, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »

It's Yasunori Mitsuda, so no wonder.  :lol: And people thought Kato and Mitsuda can NEVER be together.
The music is a real highlight for me so far.  Makes up for some of the mediocre dialogue as far as atmosphere goes.