Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199547 times)

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1890 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:57 am »
http://whois.domaintools.com/finalfantasy13-2game.com
Hmm
Not surprised at all, If Versus XIII is an exclusive title then they need to make a more mainstream-ish FF title, FFXIII has a lot of unused elements (Locations, summons and skills) so here we go...

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1891 on: January 13, 2011, 06:03:19 am »
Wow, ghosts and demons that ain't scary no more... that's becoming a fad these days.  8)

but...
...and travel back to four minutes before a person was killed in order to change their fate.
Wasn't there a SIMILAR theme in a movie coming out this year? What was it called again... Ah, Source Code!

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 13, 2011, 09:36:49 am »

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:00 am »
Hmm
Oh, Godammit. FFXIII was awful. Why are they making another one?
1-Reuse old environmental assets.
2-Tweak the battle system
3-Profit in less than two years of development ?

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 13, 2011, 01:05:32 pm »
Japan's complaining that their video game industry is failing and are they really curious as to why? 13 was not very well received neither was 14. So instead of making something new, they're going to do a rehash sequel of the second worst reviewed Final Fantasy? In what mind is that a good idea? Seriously FF15 better be AMAZING if they want to survive.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »
It's no surprise, seeing as how there is an epilogue not included in the American version of FFXIII. Not saying that it's included in the Japanese version, either. I think it's a novella.

SPOILER ALERT:

Pretty much immediately after the events of FFXIII Lightning goes off on her own to try and find a way to cure/heal/revive Fang and Vanille... She finds herself in some kind of Kingdom Hearts-esque darkness and it ends.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 13, 2011, 03:15:31 pm »
Brings the total amount of different games with Final Fantasy XIII in the name to 4 now.

SE doesn't  realize the ironic contradiction they've created in their never-ending "Final" series.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:24 am »
Hmm
Oh, Godammit. FFXIII was awful. Why are they making another one?

I have been hearing about this as well throughout the various "rumor-mills"

I had no major complaints with FFXIII; the music was fantastic, story unique, great graphics... HOWEVER, my only beef was...

**SPOILERS**

...the fact you had to beat the game in order for all your characters to reach their maximum potential... this and the fact that they had the perfect environ for mini-games (an amusement park called Nautilus, which was frikin awesome) that ended up only being a place to check out chocobos and interact with hundreds of NPCs...

**END SPOILERS**

Sazh was my favorite character in FFXIII. When XIII-2 drops in due time, I would like more development with him, as he now stacks in my personal "Top 10 of overall main/supporting characters in RPGs".

By the way, if I may inquire, what was everyones main issue with FFXIII?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:00 am »
Before tackling that beast of a question, I want to point out I have not finished the game, I am about half way through (Ch 8ish), and am trying to avoid spoilers in the hopes that I like it better when I try playing it again.

The problems start with a lack of interaction with anything. Even NPCs would only kind of fade in and out of a conversation they were already having, you couldn't actually talk TO them.

The game just FEELS different with the map off VS. the map on. If you turn the map off, the game doesn't feel so much like you're in a tiny cage, but with that overlay defining everything that's on screen as pointless fluff, directing you to the next map, it makes it REALLY easy to see "through" the code and NOT get pulled in.

The battle system, which to me, hovers between tedious and ineffective, yet was touted as "the next big thing". Paradigm shifts suck. It'd be better if you could pick and choose what each Paradigm's abilities were, but they were more set in stone than Mt. Rushmore.

My biggest problem with it, however, was the writing/naming/acting. This girl is bland, we'll call her Vanilla, but change the last letter so nobody figures it out (the voice actress, it should be noted, can not pull off an Australian accent, but is actually FROM Australia, which I found confusing)! Falcie, False-E, Lecie, I still don't know what the hell those things actually ARE. They made a point to say the names over and over and over again like they're normal words, which is a trick to get people familiar with the place and setting, it's supposed to invoke mystery and awe, like "oh this is the kind of magical place where they use pseudo-french sounding words for no reason" when there are almost definitely plain english equivalents that would have made more sense and been easier to explain and therefor follow. Those are the summon esper things? Got it. The whatever whatever is the summon esper thing for this game. Fine. Stop saying it.  I hate when sci fi type stuff uses fake words that a normal person can barely pronounce or spell.

Lightning, Snow, Fang, Hope. These ALL sound like horrible fanfiction copies of Cloud Strife. Two of them are WEATHER. But apparently Square Enix hired that horrible writer(s?) with a Noun Name obsession.

I didn't find the graphics to be all that great, honestly. The backgrounds are pretty, but so is my desktop wallpaper. The characters' faces and hair are still very polygonal and everyone looks like they're coated in oily plastic and hairspray. Uncanny valley to the MAX. The expressions don't really match the voices most of the time.
The music is acceptable, but nothing stands out. I like the story I think, but it jumps back and forth so much I don't really know what's going on.

Amongst all this, I find Sazh to be the most like-able, which is a shame, because he's clearly only there to be a token Will Smith black guy comic relief. Big monster machine thing comes up, we zoom in on Sazh to hear him say "Whooo?!" and run. It's not that much better than Barrett.

I don't hate the game, but one has to think about what exactly SquareEnix was thinking when they put it together.

All in all, I'd say the problems all stem from the lack of a unified vision among the developers of what the game should be, and the fact that all big decisions were obviously made by some sort of board or committee instead of someone who may have been able to make it all make sense.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 14, 2011, 02:32:08 pm »
You think Vanille didn't have an Aussie accent? My girlfriend is Australian and yeah they sound like that. She actually complains about Fang having the most fake accent ever. Maybe you're just American? And actually Vanille is my favorite character. I just felt the story was odd. It didn't flow correctly at all. Sometime I was confused as to why a character felt a certain way. Their dialogue was odd to the situation. OTher than that some small things like the weapon system, ability system, and lack of content in both the jobs available per character and stuff to do besides kill random monsters. Just overall didn't work out.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »
So, totally switching to a different game, it was announced on Christmas that NamcoBandai is going to make a Soul Calibur V. Thoughts and theories?

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: January 14, 2011, 11:41:21 pm »
So, totally switching to a different game, it was announced on Christmas that NamcoBandai is going to make a Soul Calibur V. Thoughts and theories?

There have been a lot of fighting games lately. I don't know. It needs to be great although I don't expect to buy it. Especially since they don't tend to change up the games. I like rosters that change things up. tons of new characters. I loved BlazBlue Continumm Shift, but it upsets me that only two characters were added unless you download, but still the third one has a chance to change up the roster. I don't mind losing characters, in fact I think only lost characters should be downloadable content. And Soul Calibur is once of those series that's becoming notorious with this. I just hope that they pick better exclusives this time. Commander Sheppard (Mass effect) and Drake (drakes fortune) PLEASE!!!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: January 15, 2011, 02:44:16 am »
You think Vanille didn't have an Aussie accent? My girlfriend is Australian and yeah they sound like that. She actually complains about Fang having the most fake accent ever. Maybe you're just American? And actually Vanille is my favorite character. I just felt the story was odd. It didn't flow correctly at all. Sometime I was confused as to why a character felt a certain way. Their dialogue was odd to the situation. OTher than that some small things like the weapon system, ability system, and lack of content in both the jobs available per character and stuff to do besides kill random monsters. Just overall didn't work out.
It may have been that it was a woman trying to voice a teenage girl, but her voice just sounds so weird. I do have family from Australia, I have been to the country, I know what the accent sounds like. She just sounds awkward as hell. Like she's reading off a piece of paper pretending to be a teenager a wee bit more "foreign" than australian. I find her to be extremely annoying. No offense to you.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:05 am »
All in all, I'd say the problems all stem from the lack of a unified vision among the developers of what the game should be, and the fact that all big decisions were obviously made by some sort of board or committee instead of someone who may have been able to make it all make sense.

And that, my friends, is the bottom line.  Games are no longer being made by real developers, but by beancounters and brown-nosers with no background in game development.  And this phenomenon is not limited to Square/Enix.  It's industry-wide.  The video-game industry is heading at a hundred miles-per-hour toward a very solid brick wall, and no one seems to know it's coming.  You can't make bad decisions for years and years and not expect to pay a price for it later.  But maybe the industry needs to suffer another crash to get rid of all the pretenders and the riff-raff.  :(

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: January 16, 2011, 01:33:37 am »
Thanks for the feedback Bekkler. I really appreciate it. Also, I do hope you plan on finishing it.

And Lennis, that is an excellent summary of the industry.